Memory foam topper

Hi Supravista,

A component memory foam mattress like this may be worth considering either as a blueprint or as a purchase and you would have the option of rearranging both the comfort layers and the support layers to customize the firmness.

Brooklyn Bedding also has the option of exchangeable memory foam comfort layers (see here) which may be worth considering.

Phoenix

If you are talking about Tuft and Needle, check out this post. Of course, I would confirm with them before purchase.

Hey, that’s a perfect mattress for me to work off. Awesome. I’m going to try brooklyn bedding for the memory foam I think.

This place is local so I can check out the poly they have. I’m not sure what the Weight: lbs/Cu.Ft. Firmness # specs mean though.

http://www.a-1foam.com/A1%20Foam.html

This local place looks solid, with full spec description

http://www.amconfoam.com/materialscushion.html

Both foam companies may have good suggestions on mattress building. They both have 1.8+lb poly foam. They both have memory foam also, which may be cheaper than Brooklyn Bedding. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

I will for sure. You guys have been very helpful.

Hi Supravista,

As jankdc mentioned … both foam suppliers will likely be able to give you some good suggestions and information about their foams and you can use the suppliers in the mattress components post I linked earlier as value references as well.

I’m also looking forward to finding out the details of your final design and seeing how it works out for you.

Phoenix

I will for sure head back here report when I get it worked out. Much thanks!

I just got an email back from Tuft and Needle and they do use high quality foam:

[quote]Thanks for reaching out.

The foam we designed currently has a density of about 2 lbs—where the firmness level is around a 7 out of 10, where a 10 is the most firm. This is on the high end for foam quality. You can learn a lot more about densities on the Mattress Underground website and forums. The reason I say “about” is because foam in general has a slight variance, it’s never exact. It’s not abnormal for foam to be .1% more or less dense but, on average, ours is 2lbs.

When you’re shopping for a foam mattress, be sure you are getting something that has a higher density foam. I’d recommend something above 1.8 lbs.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kelly Y.
[/quote]

I can’t buy individual sheets from amconfoam, but A-1 gets their foam from them. I talked with A-1 over the phone (very knowledgeable and helpful), but holy crap on the cost, guys. Check it out:

2" 4lb $450
2" 5lb $504
4" 2.7/lb 30ild $300
3" 1.45/ib 50ild $140

Total $1394

Holy crap…

It’s quite possible to purchase the memory foam from Brooklyn for a quarter of the price, but buy the poly from A-1 locally.

Does anyone know of a good cover to house the layers? One which has enough give for the memory foam.

*I’m going to have to save up, but when I put this together I’m going to post a video tour of the finished product.

Hi Supravista,

There are some sources for covers in the components post here.

Phoenix

Since I have time to save, I’m going to really dive into this. Right now, on the site, I’m reading about the basics; getting a better idea about comfort/support layers. I’ve experience great pressure relief from memory foam I’ve tried, but I need a greater understanding of how support layers help with alignment. This, I feel, it the most important for my body make-up, and pain issues. So, here I go on my journey… Part of the research will include measurements of the curvature of my body.

Any thoughts to add right now, and when I post on this thread information and thoughts, would be great, too.

Keep in mind I will be making either a progressive mattress, or differential mattress.

Hi Supravista,

I think that focusing on specs and the theory of mattress design can quickly become overwhelming unless you have extensive experience with many different combinations of materials and components that can give you a frame of reference. One of the most important parts of success with a DIY design will be “translating” the more technical specs and theories into personal experience with extensive local testing where you can compare small differences in the designs and materials of different mattresses to evaluate why they feel and perform differently for you.

Using a local mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP and where you know all the relevant quality and comfort specs as a reference point and then coming as close as you can to finding the same materials and components in a DIY design would have the highest chance of success IMO.

Phoenix

Those are good points. I plan on trying as many as possible, along with simple tech studies. The process is similar to ergonomic studies I did in a theory and methodology course in design school. I had to go out and measure and test 25 lounge chairs, and 25 side chairs, documenting both the angles and measurements, as well as the subjective feel. This was then translated into my design.

I can make quick work of drafting my body shape in a software program I use. This will allow a better idea of the comfort layer thickness, etc.

Another supplement is to checkout test pieces of foam at A-1. While you obviously can’t lay on them, they still provide useful information about how the materials feel when you press on them, as well as visually seeing how various combinations interact.

None of these approaches are to be used as an end all, they merely add to the whole of the studies.

Note: it’s a pretty fun project in it’s own right.

Hi Supravista,

I think that this is the best approach to a DIY mattress project where the challenge and rewards of the process itself and your experiences and what you learn along the way are more important than any potential cost savings which you may or may not realize by the time your project is complete.

I’m looking forward to your feedback and finding out what you end up with :slight_smile:

Phoenix

:slight_smile:

I’ll for sure post some tinkerings as I go.

I used to work for The Foam Factory aka foam distributing aka USA foam. All I will say is please DO NOT buy foam for mattresses from there. It is a sad brutal scam. These people are scam artist who have been doing this for 30+ years. It is an EXTREMELY dirty company. The latex IS NOT real what. So. Ever. The foam is not really rated at what they say it is but they know they can get away with it. If you have the ability to test the density rating and ILD rating on foam, do us all a favor and test them and tell me the numbers come close to what they say online. I dare you. I feel bad for all people who buy foam from there to be used as a mattress. I got dooped myself and I worked there for a REALLY long time.

Hi Unknown111,

Thanks for the warning. I completely agree that it would be a good idea to be very cautious in dealing with Foam by Mail (FBM) or any of their other websites including Foam Factory, USA Foam, Foam Distributing, and others for some of the reasons mentioned in post #2 here and post #2 here and in this thread and I have cautioned people about dealing with them since before this website even began over 3 years ago.

Phoenix

Thank you, you just saved me $300!

Thank you very much for the warning. Foam Factory did a good job on their website, and give the impression that their 5 lb memory foam is like Sensus. Complete with an authoritative data sheet (which, given your advice, is probably all fake numbers.)

Seriously, Thank You!

I guess I’ll go with either rockymountainmattress or sleepwarehouse for a 3 inch Sensus 5 lb topper.

gaeila