Memory Foam with the cooling technology question

Hi Kevin,

There are really only 3 ways to know what an online purchase may feel like to any individual because each person is different (different people with different weights, body shapes, sleeping positions, and perceptions will have very different opinions about the same mattress).

1. To test local mattresses that use the same or similar materials in the same or very similar layers. This depends on knowing the details of the materials that are in the mattress you test as well as the details of the mattress you are considering.

2. To talk with the person selling the mattress. If they have good knowledge and experience with mattresses and materials and how different people will interact with the different types of mattresses they sell and how their mattresses compare with other types of mattresses … then your odds are much better of getting better advice.

3. Read the reviews of a mattress (with a big grain of salt). Bear in mind that most reviews are about initial impression and not about how it will feel after the first few weeks when the “shine” of a new purchase has worn off and the initial softening period is over. They are also usually more about the subjective impressions of an individual than they are an objective description and tend to describe the suitability of their choice for their personal needs and preferences than they are about how the mattress itself feels or performs . Nonetheless … if a review includes the height, weight, sleeping positions, and preferences of the reviewer then at least it may give a rough indication about how someone similar may feel about the mattress.

#1 isn’t possible because there isn’t enough information in the description to know if you are lying on a similar mattress with local testing. #2 won’t happen with Overstock. With #3, There are only 4 reviews and there are not enough of them to give me any confidence about how this mattress may feel for any specific type of person.

Because there are hundreds if not thousands of different types of memory foam and layering combinations (including the dozens of different versions of gel memory foam) … and because the layering of a mattress and how your body interacts with it when you are sleeping is a major part of how a mattress feels, and because this mattress has little in the way of a description about how the materials may feel (ILD information and a description of how each layer responds in comparison to other similar materials) … it’s not possible for me to know how it may feel even for myself much less someone else.

In terms of pressure relief and alignment (and these are different from “feel”), the top layers of memory foam seem quite thick to me and there could be a risk of alignment issues for people who slept on their back and stomach. It also says nothing about the firmness of the support layers. The foam is also very low density and will likely soften considerably over the first few weeks.

I believe Spinal Comfort is a Zinus brand which tends to use low quality but CertiPur certified memory foam in their mattresses so based on the description this would be no exception.

With this level of uncertainty … these two lines on the bottom of the description would be the most important factor for me.

Phoenix