Memoryfoam Hunt

Hello Mattresunderground!

After doing a lot of research on this forum a few years ago, I purchased a Do It Yourself mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress (SensusSleep 8" with the Sensus 5lb density comfort layer). It has been a wonderful mattress and has not developed any sort of depressions or anything over the years. I highly recommend this company!

Since then, my wife and I have slept on a few other memory foam mattresses on our travels and we have decided that we would like different “feel” in the comfort layer. My trouble is that I am having a very difficult time defining what exactly we are looking for. I am hoping that this forum might have some experience to share.

I’ll start with how I describe the Sensus 5lb foam for a baseline. I believe this foam to be a slow response foam in that it takes a while to recover from it’s depressed state. This is very evident when comparing it to the Ares 3lb which is considerably faster on the recovery time. However the Sensus is not very “firm”, meaning it is very quick/easy to deform and almost feels like its not even there when you lay on it.

From our travels, my wife and I have slept on some beds which have a similar recovery time to the Sensus (similar amount of time to recover from depression) but take much more time/force to deform in the first place. This experience feels like “sinking into sand” and we LOVE it. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea how to go about determining if a specific “slow response” foam is going to be like the Sensus (quick deform/slow recovery) or like this mystery foam (slow deform/slow recovery). Also I don’t know if “firmness” of a foam plays into the speed of the deform action, what do you think?

I have been able to get information on the following examples of foam which exhibit the same behavior we are looking for:

1. Healthcare Mattress Ultimate Comfort - This mattress is no longer sold by the company but the comfort layer exhibits the type of action we are looking for. After reaching out to the company they are 100% unwilling to provide any details of the comfort layer of this mattress. Based on the price of their other mattresses I suspect that the foam density is quite low.
  2. Novaform Comfort Luxe mattress topper - This is a 3" mattress topper which also exhibits the characteristics we are looking for. Unfortunately it comes at at 2.5lb density (personally measured on a scale) which is quite worry-some!

SO my question to you, the people of MattressUnderground, is this: How can I know if a specific memory foam is going to have the “sinking into sand” feeling based on it’s published properties? Also, do you know of any high quality foams that might exhibit this behavior which I can follow up on?

Thank you very much,
Garrett

Hi gomjabar6,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m glad that you’ve enjoyed your current mattress! Rocky Mountain Mattress is a member of this site, which means I think highly of them.

Yes, there certainly would be a difference in the way that the 5 lb. feels and recovers from the 3 lb., which you personally have observed. So in this case you’re describing that you’d like a bit higher ILD versus your current Sensus top layer, and a more viscous nature. Makes sense.

I think you’re being very consistent and detailed in your descriptions of what you desire. Of course, the combination of materials in the finished mattress you sampled during your travels, including the ambient temperature and humidity, will affect how the memory foam responded. But assuming all things to be equal, you’re asking for something that has a higher initial ILD, a higher viscosity, a ball rebound much lower than 20%, a slower height recovery time and perhaps something that is less temperature sensitive, than your current Sensus memory foam layer. Your description of feeling more like “sinking into sand” is very accurate and assistive when searching for a new layer of memory foam. Of course, I think you realize that most memory foam is moving in the opposite direction these days of what you desire. The formulating of memory foam is incredibly complex, and there are thousands upon thousands of different combinations of isocyanates, isocyanate-reacting components, catalysts, surface active agents, temperature controls, curing methods and other ingredients involved that will alter the feel of a product, and of course the exact formulas are as closely-held as the recipe for Coca-Cola!

Yes, you would be wise to avoid those products.

You really won’t be able to tell about the overall feel based upon density specifications, especially of a single layer (as I mentioned earlier it will be a part of a completed mattress). I think you already have a really good start, as you have specifications of your current mattress as a baseline and this will be very useful for any knowledgeable manufacturer when you speak with them.

I would start by making some phone calls and using the expertise of the members listed in post #21 here. Many of them feature higher-quality memory foam mattresses, and should be familiar with your “starting point” mattress and be able to make suggestions based upon your input and a few of the characteristics I’ve listed here for you. I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. In addition to the online members of the site listed in the previous membership link … post #12 here has some of the better online memory foam options for those who are looking for a memory foam mattress.

Their detailed knowledge that these manufacturers have about their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback about your current mattress with the Sensus top layer, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high.

It might take a few phone calls, but I think you’ll be able to make some progress pretty quickly – you really seem to have a good grasp on what you’re desiring. Double check any potential exchange/return policies if you end up ordering online, just in case your purchase doesn’t turn out as you had hoped.

I’m interested in learning about your progress and success at finding the exact feel you’re looking for.

Phoenix

Hi Gomjabbar,

I’m not sure if we’re feeling the same thing but i also have a preference for memory foam mattresses, where it does not quickly deform. I’ve been trying a lot of different beds at local retail stores and have found that memory foam tends to be very soft (10-12ILD) and sometimes what makes the difference is the transition layer being a medium firmness as it kind of cushions the sinking and quickness of deforming (not sure if that makes sense). I’ve tried memory foam mattresses where there is only a 2 layer construction with a few inches of memory foam on the top and very firm foam at the bottom layer, and it certainly gave the feeling as if i was sinking in fairly quickly.

Hi SleepyAl,

That is very well explained – you’ve been doing some good research! You are correct that memory foam is generally all classified as a softer material in the mattress industry. And the more dense memory foams will tend to sink slower, although the industry is trending toward faster recovery memory foams. All the layers within the mattress will have an impact upon overall comfort, and the layer directly beneath the top memory foam layer will certainly have the greatest impact upon the feel of that top comfort layer.

Thanks for the contribution!

Phoenix