metal fold up/knock down frames

There’s tons of different metal fold up and knock down frames on amazon from sleep innovations, classic brands, lucid, etc… First does this work with innerspring or do I need to lay plywood piece on top and also what is a good durable one for support. I don’t need storage or ease of storage only want strong and stable support that lasts for an innerspring mattress. Actually a hybrid. I’m going for a hybrid that has bolsa coils, latex, and memory foam from Beloit mattress in Wisconsin.

I was at the world furniture market a few months ago and saw a few of these displayed (not as many as I thought I would see). Many seemed to be the same product from China with different brand labels on it.

I would look for something that provides as firm and flat of a surface as possible, with the metal grid network being closely spaced together. I did notice a difference in a few of the items as to their legs and how they were supported - a few were quite flimsy.

As long as the surface is flat and firm and the metal network does not bend, you should be fine. I know that a 3" gap is the maximum usually recommended on the forum for the wood slat networks, but I personally would want something a bit closer with these metal grids, as the wires are much thinner than wood slats and there is less in contact with the mattress overall.

I’m sorry I don’t have any recommendations of particular brands, but perhaps there is someone else available with a bit more experience regarding these items.

Good luck!
Jeff

I’ll most likely put a piece of plywood on top. The reason I like these is the 12 points of contact on the floor. My wooden frame has six and it just doesn’t feel that solid. I want to buy one of these metal folding frames cause they can fit right inside my wood frame and replace my slat foundation completely. I m starting to think the old classic bed frames (idk what they are called) but they are just four metal edges with a box spring is the most stable and sturdy foundation. However, since I already bought this wooden platform bed I have to find a way to upgrade it cause it doesn’t provide the support I want. Which again is why I’m considering placing these foldable metal foundation inside it.

Hi EZ4HZ,

You can see some of my comments about the “wire grid” types of support surfaces in post #10 here.

I would also agree with Jeff that the ones that have wires that are further apart may not provide a support surface that has enough surface area to provide an evenly supportive surface for some types of mattresses including mattresses that use some types of innersprings or latex support cores because the support system in the mattress can sag into the gaps in between the wires over time.

I would also be cautious about using plywood or any solid surface under a mattress because it doesn’t provide any ventilation under the mattress (see post #10 here) and would lean towards the suggestions in the previous post I linked.

There is also more about the different types of support systems (foundations, platform beds etc) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here. The KD foundations that have wooden slats that aren’t too far apart for the type of mattress you are considering can make good choices because they have more surface contact/support area than many of the wire grid type of support systems. When you are dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer such as Beloit though I would trust their suggestions about the type of support systems or foundations that would be most suitable for the mattresses they make (and which ones would meet their warranty criteria) because they will be the most reliable source of information about their specific mattresses.

Phoenix