Micro Coil Mattress Value

Phoenix,

My fiance and I are looking for our first mattress. She needs a pretty soft mattress and I need a pretty firm one. We were able to find one that seems to give us both the comfort and support that we need. I don’t have all the specs, but I was hoping you could provide me with a little more insight into the value of the mattress. Here’s what I know:

Extra firm stabilizing foam base (I know, doesn’t tell you anything)
Quantum micro coil spring system- over 1800 pocketed coils in the queen (we were able to lay on just the springs in the attached factory, and I could have fallen asleep on them. This is where the bulk of the price comes from according to the salesman)
1 or 2" of 2.5# softech foam
Quilted foam layer

Let’s just assume the unknown materials are good quality as they are made in the USA, and this manufacturer is one of your preferred manufacturers. Is $2000 a good deal for this mattress? Do you know of any S brands that have a similar mattress?

Personally I think using micro coils for comfort is a fantastic idea, not a big fan of the poly foam that is listed in this mattress design, 1" with the addition of also the quilted foam layer is enough IMO to cause indentation/softening issues. I really recommend looking at a brand called Berkeley Ergonomics, they have a lot of great dealers in the US I think if there is one anywhere near you I would really recommend checking them out.

Cheers,
Daniel

What could be used to soften up the mattress besides the foam? Higher gauge coils? That might not provide the proper support for me. We’ve pretty much ruled out latex (too firm, springy for her) and memory foam (too many unknowns as far as sleeping on it a whole night). Mattress shopping isn’t too easy for us as we live an hour away from each other, and want to have this in our new place by the time we get married in two weeks.

Even if softens up, would it be economical to replace the top layer in the future if the coils hold up?

Here is a link to the coils. Since it is foam encased, there would be 1575 coils.

http://www.beddingcomponents.com/comfortcore/documents/quantum.pdf

Hi Saucerito,

There are two versions of coils in the industry that are called “micro coils”. One of these are higher gauge and shorter coils that are used to replace foam in the comfort layers of a mattress (you can see an example here) and the other (which is what you have) are smaller diameter pocket coils that allow for more coils to fit in the same space and are used as support systems in a mattress (you can see a description of the Quantum coil here). These are a high quality and more “premium” pocket coil support system that you would find in more premium mattresses.

This is a high quality/density polyfoam that would be a durable material and not subject to the type of impression issues that are so common with lower quality polyfoam that is found in most mainstream mattresses.

They don’t mention the thickness or density of this but as long as it’s “in the range” of about an inch or so then it would be fine.

Overall … there don’t appear to be any weak links in this mattress that I would have any concerns about (assuming that you included all the layers in the mattress and the quilting foam isn’t too thick).

I don’t know of any “S” brands that would use these materials no (they would typically be much lower quality innersprings and comfort materials) although I also don’t know the specifics of every mattress in the industry so there may be something similar although it would likely be in a much higher price range.

The “value” of a mattress purchase is relative to the other mattresses you have tested and are available to you can’t be measured by a formula based on the “raw material cost” of the materials and components (which aren’t available to you) so it would really depend on what other mattresses you have tested and how a mattress compares to your other finalists in terms of PPP, the quality/durability of the materials, and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you. Post #13 here has more about how I would assess the "value of a mattress so you can make meaningful comparisons to your other finalists. If this mattress is the best match for you in terms of PPP out of the mattresses you have tested (and this would be the most important part of its “value”) and it also compares well in terms of durability and the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and any options you have after a purchase to make changes to the mattress) then IMO it would certainly be well worth considering. Other than sharing “how” to compare the value of a mattress purchase … I would need to know more about your specific experience on the mattress compared to others you have tested and the more detailed specifics of the mattress to make more detailed or meaningful comments.

Phoenix