Migration from Memory Foam to Latex considerations?

First, thank you, thank you, thank you for this site. I have been researching mattresses for a few weeks on and off, and first stumbled across SleepLikeTheDead, which is fairly useful, but while trolling Reddit mattress discussions, there as a mention of your site, I am so glad I found it. We (my wife and I), have been sleeping on a Tempurpedic Memory Foam mattress for about 12 years, I finally realized my discomfort and morning pain was most likely due to the mattress being worn out. From your site, I realized the support layers are probably the culprit, as the top comfort layer really does not show degradation.
From the reading I have done, a latex mattress would appear to be the best choice, I am a side sleeper who sleeps extremely hot (the thermostat auto sets to 63 at night, and I am still hot) - my wife is a back sleeper and had not noticed any issues with the mattress.
Since I will not be going to try out mattresses during Covid, what considerations should I keep in mind for a latex mattress choice to also address my wife’s desire to have something close to what we have now? I like the options and potential customization available from someone like SleepEZ or Spindle, and feel having a chance to modify after an initial choice is important. Are there other considerations? Neither of us is overly heavy (I am 5’11", 170, she is 5’7", 140). I have spinal issues in the lower back and neck, compressed disks and spinal stenosis, but am still very physically active. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have - and yes, I have read all the tutorial information.

Hi TMBOYCE.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

I am also glad you found us and that you’ve found our resources useful! and I am pleased to see you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial;)

[quote]From the reading I have done, a latex mattress would appear to be the best choice, I am a side sleeper who sleeps extremely hot (the thermostat auto sets to 63 at night, and I am still hot) - my
wife is a back sleeper[/quote]

It seems that your primary concern is temperature regulation and the best mattress fit for you and your wife. Latex seems to best fit the bill for those who sleep hot. Latex in general is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. The upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation as it relates to the sleeper.

While it’s also not always possible to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector, or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

You can also read more about the many variables that can affect the temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful. You may also be interested in the information in post #28 about temperature regulation and mattress microclimate.

Some of the other factors involved in how warm a mattress sleeps are how closely the foam conforms to your body (the more closely it conforms around you the more insulating it is), how soft or thick the foam in the comfort layers are (the softer/thicker it is the deeper you will sink into the more insulating materials), the type of quilting used in the mattress (natural fibers allow for more airflow and humidity control which translates into better temperature regulation), the type of ticking (cover) used (natural or more breathable fibers such as cotton or viscose or even some of the more breathable synthetics will wick away moisture and ventilate better and humidity control is a key part of temperature control), and on any cooling technologies used in the mattress such as ventilating and moisture-wicking materials, heat conductive materials, or phase change materials.

In addition to this … the mattress protector you choose along with your sheets and other bedding and what you wear when you sleep will also have a significant effect on temperature regulation because they can either add to the insulating effect or to the ventilating and moisture-wicking effect of your mattress. Bedding made from natural fibers or viscose materials (like bamboo) will also tend to be cooler than synthetic fibers and linen sheets along with silk are probably the coolest of all the natural fibers for those where the sleeping temperature is a main priority. In many cases changing the mattress protector, sheets, or bedding to cooler versions can make “enough” of a difference for many people who would otherwise sleep hot on a mattress.

Regarding the level of firmness, you may need to have appropriate support/comfort keep in mind that side sleepers generally need a bit more pressure point relief on the surface to accommodate the wider dimensional variances between the shoulders and the hips, and the waist. There’s a bit more about different sleeping positions here.

Some consideration about migrating from memory foam to Latex:
Latex is more durable in any layer, more point elastic (takes on the shape of the body better which provides more even support and aids in better pressure relief), has a higher support factor (gets firmer faster with deeper compression which helps with deep support), is more breathable (regulating humidity and temperature), has higher resilience, elasticity, and “liveliness” which provides for a better “feel” for most people, is more natural than polyfoam/memory foam for those who prefer more natural materials, has fewer complaints about off-gassing and odor, is biodegradable, is less flammable, and is overall a much superior material in any layer … but as you know is also more costly. You can read more about the pros and cons of memory foam in this article

if you are unable to test a mattress in person, it’s important that you have a detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer that you can trust. I am afraid you’d need to do a bit of interviewing if you are venturing out there in the wide world of the internet and determine if they are selling you marketing material instead of facts. It seems that you already settled on a few reliable and trusted vendors so I’d make sure to provide them with good information about your body type, sleeping style, general preferences and history, some general information about mattresses you have tested and done well with, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress.

Many of our subscribers had a very high rate of success with reaching out to Sleep EZ, or Spindle. A quick forum search will reveal many happy customer stories. Provided with your above-mentioned stats and the spinal issues you’ve had they will help you find the best possible fit for you. As you are not able to test in person, perhaps now more than ever some exchange policies would be important to you. So, I’d make sure to check out right from the bat

You may want to check out other Trusted Members on our site who offer customization…

Arizona Premium
FloBeds
Latex Mattress Factory
Nest Bedding

Please keep me posted on your progress and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Phoenix

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response, I will definitely post an update on what we end up getting and how well we like it once we have slept on it for awhile. I am definitely getting shopper’s fatigue, so I need to narrow it down and make a decision.