Minimalist Style "Mattress"... Help please w/Decisions! :)

My husband and I are transitioning to a more minimalist and natural sleeping arrangement (see our plan waaaay down below). If it helps, here are a few links to clarify the general direction we’re headed:

DISCLAIMER: I’m very detail oriented and an analyst. So…please excuse all the info I’m providing! I just want to be sure before purchase, as beds are a major purchase and our budget is tight. Thank you!! :slight_smile:

Currently…
Our Bed/Sleeping: 12+ year old (cheapest version) SleepNumber king-size bed set at maximum firmness (it’s not quite firm enough to me). Weekly/daily naps on an extremely firm couch with no issues.
Personal: My BMI is 19 (115lbs); husband’s is 25 (175lbs). I side sleep; husband sleeps in any/all positions.

Our Plan…
“Mattress”: 4" thick King (76"x80") size 100% natural Dunlop Latex Topper, Firm with at least 5.3lb density (or 2 qty 2" toppers inside 4" cover)
Cover: Wool and Cotton only, washable, zipper around at least 3 sides
(If mattress and cover are organic, great, but not absolutely needed.)
“Foundation”: Plan to lay it directly on a handmade wood bed frame with slats 2"-2.5" apart.
Budget for “mattress”&cover: Under $1000. Preferably $600-$800.

Additional Notes for Our Plan:

• We very briefly laid down on a 3.75" foam mattress at Ikea to see how 4" of mattress would work (also kept in mind that firm latex would be much more supportive).
  • We don’t want the 4" think topper cut down from a 6" slab; I want it manufactured with the “skin” on top and bottom…so no “cut side” that crumbles.
  • We want a wool cover for flame retardant capabilities as well as for keeping moisture out of the latex when “sleeping hot”.

Help…
Can you point us to any places to order our desired “mattress” and cover from? Anyone have additional suggestions/tips or see any pitfalls to our plan (see below)? Need additional info from us? I’m just concerned that it may not work as we expected; I know of no store in the area to try latex mattresses/toppers.

Thank you so very much for all your help!!! :slight_smile:

Hi Bellawaves,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

This would be a density of at least 85 kg/m3 (approximately 5.3 pcf), but as densities are within ranges, with those specifications you’ll probably want to look for something in the 85-90-95 kg/m3 range, with the 90 kg/m3 (5.6 pcf) being commonly classified as “extra firm” and the 95 kg/m3 (5.9 pcf) commonly being termed as “extra extra firm”.

That would be a good distance between the slats, as you’ll want to be 3" or less, with good center reinforcement to prevent slat bowing, for a latex mattress, even a thinner mattress like you’re considering.

Yes, you’re correct, unless the materials were the same as what you are considering here, the feel won’t be representative of what you’re looking to create.

Dunlop latex is most commonly poured in 6" cores, with some being poured in 3" cores. I’m not personally aware of anyone pouring in a 4" core. The “crumbling” that occurs with latex tends to be over quite a period of time from a combination of oxidation, UV and mechanical stresses, usually long after the useful life of the foam. With a proper cover as you’re considering, I personally wouldn’t have a concern with the abrasive forces creating a considerable “crumbling”.

Wool, when used in sufficient quantities, can be used as a method to pass 16 CFR Part 1632 and 1633, but any encasement purchased separately won’t carry that guarantee of certification because the manufacturer wouldn’t know what foams might be placed inside of their encasement, so wouldn’t have specific burn tests to certify it as such. The wool will be a very good product for temperature and moisture regulation, as you mentioned.

As for suppliers, a really good place to start would be the component list here. There’s quite a few latex foam suppliers and mattress cover suppliers as well, many who are members here of the site and quite knowledgeable about latex. That should give you a good start in your quest to change to a different style of sleep system.

Phoenix