MLily 15" Elegant Boxtop Bliss Memory Foam

We are searching for a new mattress and are considering the MLily Bliss Memory Foam, with a 15" elegant Boxtop design.

We tested it in the store but would appreciate feedback on this mattress and MLilly in general.

How does it compare to Costco’s Novaform, Sleep Innovations mattress for example? The stats for the MLilly Bliss Memory Foam seem better.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Michelle Tulane,

mLily uses foams that are made by Health Care Foam* in China (the same source as BedBoss, Easy Rest, and several other memory foam mattresses) which are CertiPur certified for harmful substances and VOC’s and as long as you can confirm the quality of all the materials in the mattress from your retailer (see this article) some of their mattresses can be reasonably good quality/value options.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-industry/find-a-foam-supplier/hk-foam/

They are also generally transparent about the quality of the foams they use so that their customers can identify any weak links and make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other mattresses (although this may vary from retailer to retailer and their willingness to call their distributor and find out the information you need).

Overall I would say these are among the “better” Chinese manufacturers although there will always be some additional uncertainty and risk involved with buying a mattress that uses Chinese foams and that may have been compressed for longer periods of time (see post #2 here post #6 here).

Outside of how suitable a mattress is in terms of PPP … any specific mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and materials regardless of the brand so it’s important to make sure that you have a list of all the layers in your mattress that includes the thickness of all the layers and the foam density of any memory foam and polyfoam in the mattress before considering any mattress purchase (see this article).

Your retailer should be able to provide this to you and I have talked with several regional distributors for mLily that appear to be willing to provide their specs to their retailers.

Once you have the specs you need (for the mLily or any other mattress you are considering) … if you list them here I’d be happy to share my thoughts about the mattress and the materials inside it or help you identify any potential weak links it may have.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

The MLily layers include:

1.0" layer of heat dissipating bamboo infused phyto HD quilted into the cover (density rating 5.3)

1.5" layer of gelCORE gel infused high density memory foam (density rating 4.2 )

2.5" layer of M48 high density memory foam (density rating 4.8 )

2.0" layer of Ultra6 premium support memory foam (density rating 5.8 )

8.0" layer of high resiliency base foam (density rating 4.2)

In comparison, the Novaform brand states it has 3" gel memory foam 3" air channel, and an 8" base.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Hi Michelle Tulane,

All of the memory foam is either mid density/quality (4 lbs) or high density/quality (5 lbs or higher) so there are no obvious weak links in the mattress.

I would be a little cautious with a mattress that used this much 4 lb memory foam though with higher weights (regardless of the brand).

The 8" polyfoam support layer isn’t listed correctly and someone has given you a memory foam density instead of the density of the polyfoam but this is the least important part of the durability of the mattress (within reason) and it’s likely to be good quality (probably somewhere in between 1.8 lbs and 2.5 lbs). Sometimes these kinds of mistakes though can make me cautious about the accuracy of the rest of the information since anyone that if familiar with foam densities would know right away that it couldn’t be correct.

You would need to know the density of all the layers in the Novaform to make any meaningful comparisons but in general Novaform will often use lower quality/density memory foam in their mattresses (sometimes in the 3 lb range which I would avoid) and there is also less of the more costly memory foam materials in the mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you so much, Phoenix. By higher weights do you mean our body weights or is there too much high density memory foam? The mattress is very comfortable in the showroom and is about $1200, which seems like a good price. I just wanted to be sure it will be good quality.

Hi Michelle Tulane,

Memory foam in the range of 4 lbs is less durable than memory foam in the range of 5 lbs or higher but it also has a “feel” that many people prefer (softer, faster response, more breathable, and less temperature sensitive). For body weights over around 200 lbs or so I would be a little cautious with using thicker layers of 4 lb memory foam because of the risk that it will soften more quickly and affect the durability of the mattress.

Having said that … I edited your post to remove the emoticons so I could see the actual densities (the 8 beside the close bracket was the “code” for the emoticon and I couldn’t see the 8 after the decimal point) and you only have 1.5 inches of 4 lb memory foam and the rest is closer to 5 lbs or 6 lbs so I don’t think there would be any durability issues or weak links in the mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you again, Phoenix! I was wondering why the emotions were coming on. Best wishes.