Model Change-up at Brooklyn Bedding?

Hi,

I had done alot of research on mattress options/models/manufacturers here back towards the end of 2014 and ended up with a pretty good recommendation to go with a 12" bamboo bliss latex from brooklyn bedding.

today my sister asked me for a recommendation on a new mattress and I pointed her to that site but now it looks like they only offer one mattress option?

Did they change everything up over the past year and half? are they still one of the better manufacturer direct latex mattress options or are there better offerings from other manufacturers now that I should consider?

thanks in advance!

Hi mantrasia,

[quote]today my sister asked me for a recommendation on a new mattress and I pointed her to that site but now it looks like they only offer one mattress option?

Did they change everything up over the past year and half? [/quote]

Yes … Brooklyn Bedding launched their new “simplified choice” #BestMattressEver mattress in May, 2015 (see post #1027 here).

Yes … they are still a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

A few of the mattresses that were previously offered by Brooklyn Bedding (such as the Aloe Alexis and the Total Latex Mattress) are now included in the models offered by Dreamfoam which is their sister company.

Phoenix

I’m sorry for reviving old topic but it seems I can’t create new one. Anyway long story short back in 2013 after finding this site and reading a LOT I decided to purchase Brooklyn Bedding 12" Bamboo Bliss queen size mattress with “cushion firm” firmness level. Me and my wife like this mattress very much and it’s still holding strong with almost no sagging. Now we are searching for new mattress for our 3 years old daughter. We already bough her twin size bed from Ikea with their matrand latex mattress but she is still co-slipping with my wife in our bed so I’ve been slipping in her room for some time and I don’t like this mattress, it’s too firm for me. I bought 3" memory foam topper from Costco and it’s a lot better now but still not as good as our BB mattress. Now it’s time to move her to her room so we decided replace her bed with full size (just in case one of us need to co-sleep with her for some time) and get different mattress. So I contacted BB asking what would be closest current model replacement for Bamboo Bliss and they directed me toward Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams EuroTop Latex Mattress saying it’s the same model but I know it’s not. It was also available back in 2013 and somebody explained the differences between BB and Dreamfoam very clear and I decided to get BB based on that. So I don’t want to get Dreamfoam especially I can see they are no longer trusted member here and there is probably some valid reason for that. So my question is what full size mattress should I get for my daughter (and my or my wife when there will be need to co-sleep) that will be most similar to BB 12" Bamboo Bliss? Any of Ikea’s mattresses are worth considering? I know Matrand is too firm even they describe it as medium firm. I can still exchange Matrand for different model but can’t return it (that’s their mattress policy) so it would be a plus but if they don’t have anything better I can just try to sell it and get mattress from other source.

Hi SotY.

The Cushion Firm 12" UD was their # 5 level @ 28 ILD…at a quick glance, it looks like the 12" bliss and the 12" UD Eurotop models are roughly comparable. Both have 8" of poly (BB is 2.17 lb vs 2 lb) base foam, both have 3" of Talalay latex at different firmness/softness choices. Both have 1" quilted Zippered cover with the wool missing from the BB,

Generally, attempting to find something that is exactly the same from another manufacturer is often a frustrating and futile exercise especially if you are trying to do this on your own. There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover, FR barrier, any quilting material, and of course all foam layers) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so you would need to carefully asses the design and the specs of each mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials (Talalay in this case, blended) in order to determine if that the mattress in its entirety will be a good “match” for you or your daughter in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) This is especially important when you are trying to approximate the mattress you are considering with others that use the same type of materials and components which may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you or your daughter to sleep on.

I would tend to keep the focus on the needs for your daughter when buying this bed as she is and will be the primary user. The needs of adults are much different than children’s sleeping needs. Generally, for growing children (3 years or older) you’d want something more in the “medium” to “medium-firm” range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. 28-32(medium range) it is usually recommended for the upmost 3" layer, which would be quite sufficient to ensure good posture and support. (I’d also keep in mind that Dunlop also has a firmer feel than Talalay of the same ILD.) One of the advantages of getting a multi-layered component style system mattress is that you can add or exchange layers as your child grows. If and when they need a softer comfort layer in their “sleeping system” you can also add a softer topper to any firmer children’s’ mattress when they get older and develop more adult proportions . 12" thickness mattress you are considering is generally not needed for a growing child (they typically won’t need more than 6" or so of layers, and when the needs change if it becomes necessary then you can add some thickness or softness with either another layer inside a new cover or add a softer topper to the mattress.

If you’re looking for something using polyurethane foam, make sure that it has at least CertiPUR-US certification for the foam. If you desire something more “natural”, but want to keep the cost as low as possible, there are many options out there, but I’m most familiar with some offered by out trusted members.

Listed in alphabetical order some of our Trusted Members who carry safe and healthy mattresses for growing children or mattresses are very well suited for children for the lower budget ranges: (I also listed slightly higher budget mattresses as by using the TMU coupon these may be options you’d wish to consider. )

[indent]Arizona Premium Mattress’s Latex Bed for Kids with a great price point.
Flexus Comfort also has a great dual-comfort mattress suitable for children using 100% natural Dunlop latex core
Latex Mattress Factory Naturale Mattress is an option suitable for children.
Luma Sleep’s Base Luma Mattressin its firmer version
My Green Mattress with the Natural Escape (a bit higher budget range but you can use the 125 Off Mattress (Code: TMU125) offered to TMU members)
Pure Echo ( One version has no foam at all and is just an innerspring with a natural fiber cotton/wool comfort layer and the other includes latex.)
Quality Sleep Shop specializes in innerspring mattresses for children
Sleep EZ Roma Latex Mattress with dual side configuration (Medium-Plush and Firm Feels)
Sleep On Latex Pure Green Mattress good price point mattress suitable for children.
Although for a higher budgets Cozy Pure’s two-sided Natural Latex Mattress using Certified Organic Cotton and wool on top of 6" natural Latex core, maybe worth considering[/indent]
As far as other recommendations for mattresses for children, Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children and includes some suggestions and guidelines and to some good quality/value options as well.

You are correct that Matrand tends to be rated firm by most sleepers. It uses a little under 5" of synthetic latex on top of about 2" of 1.7 lb polyfoam so there are no obvious weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to more “average” weight ranges (lower 200’s or less). If you are considering an exchange for another IKEA mattress you can read a bit more about their mattresses in post # 1 & 3 here and you may wish to look into their newest lineup 8" MAUSUND NR latex line (85% NR & 15% SBR Latex) that replacing their Morgongava.

It seems to me that you have a little bit of thinking to do but I’d make sure to run everything through your personal value equation and what is most important to you and your daughter.

Good luck and I’ll be interested in learning about your progress.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=79334]The Cushion Firm 12" UD was their # 5 level @ 28 ILD…at a quick glance, it looks like the 12" bliss and the 12" UD Eurotop models are roughly comparable. Both have 8" of poly (BB is 2.17 lb vs 2 lb) base foam, both have 3" of Talalay latex at different firmness/softness choices. Both have 1" quilted Zippered cover with the wool missing from the BB,

Generally, attempting to find something that is exactly the same from another manufacturer is often a frustrating and futile exercise especially if you are trying to do this on your own. There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover, FR barrier, any quilting material, and of course all foam layers) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so you would need to carefully asses the design and the specs of each mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials (Talalay in this case, blended) in order to determine if that the mattress in its entirety will be a good “match” for you or your daughter in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) This is especially important when you are trying to approximate the mattress you are considering with others that use the same type of materials and components which may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you or your daughter to sleep on.

I would tend to keep the focus on the needs for your daughter when buying this bed as she is and will be the primary user. The needs of adults are much different than children’s sleeping needs. Generally, for growing children (3 years or older) you’d want something more in the “medium” to “medium-firm” range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. 28-32(medium range) it is usually recommended for the upmost 3" layer, which would be quite sufficient to ensure good posture and support. (I’d also keep in mind that Dunlop also has a firmer feel than Talalay of the same ILD.) One of the advantages of getting a multi-layered component style system mattress is that you can add or exchange layers as your child grows. If and when they need a softer comfort layer in their “sleeping system” you can also add a softer topper to any firmer children’s’ mattress when they get older and develop more adult proportions . 12" thickness mattress you are considering is generally not needed for a growing child (they typically won’t need more than 6" or so of layers, and when the needs change if it becomes necessary then you can add some thickness or softness with either another layer inside a new cover or add a softer topper to the mattress.

If you’re looking for something using polyurethane foam, make sure that it has at least CertiPUR-US certification for the foam. If you desire something more “natural”, but want to keep the cost as low as possible, there are many options out there, but I’m most familiar with some offered by out trusted members.[/quote]

Thank you Phoenix for such detailed answer!

I went to Ikea and they accepted my return without any problems. And also they issued regular store credit refund for the mattress so I actually didn’t have to buy another mattress from them and could spend it on anything. But after checking Mausund I liked how it “felt” and decided to give it a try. Unfortunately after bringing it home and unwrapping it very strong smell appeared. To describe it the best I would say it reminds me trips to petting zoo with my daughter :slight_smile: I’m not sure if that comes from latex or from wool but it is very strong and even after 24 hours of leaving mattress uncovered in bedroom with opened window it didn’t change much. When covered with waterproof mattress protector the small is less noticeable and I actually spent one night on it. I’m not gonna lie, it’s very comfortable. Little bit firmer than our current BB Bamboo Bliss but definitely not as firm as Matrand. I’m just afraid that smell will not go away because I remember seeing some Morgongava review saying that it had bad smell even after couple of months. I will probably give it a week or two and see how it goes. If smell won’t go away I can take it back but getting almost $1k as store credit is not very good idea because there is no other mattress model I would consider getting from Ikea.

Thought it might be of interest on this thread that BB has recently introduced several new mattress designs to address specific needs. Some of these models are not currently listed on their main site but rather have sites of their own. If you’re interested in further details you can easily find their related sites with a quick search. Here’s a list of the ones I’ve found with brief descriptions of their goals. (I should note that BB is no longer a member of TMU but thought that this information might be a useful reference here.)

Bloom Latex - Talalay latex
Bloom Latex Hybrid
Freya - enhanced cooling
Plank - flat, firm, flippable
Rubix - user configurable layers
Spartan - performance oriented with Celliant™
Titan - for plus sized
Zoned - zoned support

this is so great

Hi SotY.

I am glad you had no problem wiht the return and that Ikea issued a full credit for the mattress. but expecially … congratulations on your new purchase! :lol:

Great to hear that it better matches your comfort needs and hopefully, the smell won’t be an issue for too long. You are correct that it can come from either or both the wool in the quilting and the latex. There is more about the smell of latex in post #2 here but in most cases, it is reduced to levels below what people will notice in a few days to a few weeks but this can also depend on how acute your sense of smell is and on how sensitive you are to a particular smell. There can also be some differences between different batches of latex. There is also more about the odor of new materials in post #3 here that may be helpful. Natural wool will also tend to have an odor which some people notice, and it may actually be this to which you have your sensitivity. Everyone has their individual degree of reaction to certain odors, and without being in front of your mattress is dificult to tell exactly to which odor you may have a sensitivity. Generaly smells would tend to dissipate over time, and leaving the products uncovered during the day or standing upright in a well ventilated area will help to expedite this process.

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once you’ve slept on your mattress for a little longer.

Phoenix

So I’ve been reading reviews of the new Bloom Hybrid model with great interest. It’s got a design close to what I’m looking for, although a bit pricey. However, I am a little confused about something they said about their latex. In the questions section, I asked if they used 100% natural latex, and this was the reply: “Our Bloom Hybrid mattress is made with high-quality Talalay latex foam, this is 30% natural latex and 70% natural fillers such as sand , ground seashells, etc. Our latex is also Oeko-Tex Certified meaning that there are no toxic or harmful chemicals used in our material.”

I’ve never heard this description of blended latex before. Sand and seashells? Is this something different than the usual blend of natural latex and SBR that you commonly see in mattress specs?

Technically, petroleum is a natural product, so some SBR Talalay is labeled “natural.”

Sand and seashells made me snort. I work in communications/advertising. I wonder if there are some butterfly sneezes in there too?

Blended talalay can feel softer than NR (natural rubber, no sand or seashells) even in the same ILDs.

I live in a small town and our local mattress retailer briefly carried this bed and other BB models. That surprised me, as I thought they were strictly an internet brand. You might see if it’s available to try in a showroom.

Hi The Toddler,

I have to say I’ve never seen any latex described with sand and seashells as the filler. That is kind of funny, But also very mattress industryish marketing. The telly late text they use is the blended version which is 30% natural 70% synthetic. They’re just trying a little too hard to talk about the fillers which tell a global has used in the latex forever.

The funniest part is the “filler” commonly used by some latex manufacturers is “silica” which is actually Silicon dioxide, most commonly found in nature as quartz and in various living organisms. In many parts of the world, silica is the major constituent of sand. BB uses the talalay latex made by Talalay Global in Connecticut and this is a high-quality comfort layer in any mattress.

Thanks for the post and the question, and thank you sweetandsourkiwi (now a latex expert) always good information added.

Sensei

I can’t seem to figure out how to open up a new topic in general, so I’m bumping this one.

Is Brooklyn Bedding still considered a good place to buy a mattress? I live local to them (same state, one town over) and was able to stop in and test out their mattresses in the Tucson Showroom.

my wife and I have lower back issues and the Serta iComfort mattress we have crapped the bed in 3 years and we’ve been limping on it ever since. Time for a new mattress and we were looking at Brooklyn Bedding in town. We really liked the new “Plank” mattress as it’s SUPER firm and really comfortable, but the info we have and the salesman mentioned that a pure foam mattress (the plank is pure poly foam with a 1.5 inch Titan Foam top layer) doesn’t last as long for a “heavier” couple like we are (I’m 6’2, the wife is 6’0 and both about 230 lbs) as a hybrid mattress. As such we looked at several others and really liked the Bowery Hybrid as a close second. the “Signature” one seemed nicer than the Bowery in terms of a higher tier up, but it was TOO soft, even in the firmer modes. I could feel the curve in my back and neither my wife or I liked it without a wedge pillow. The Bowery Hybrid is a second choice, but from what I gather should last a bit longer due to the coils hybrid system vs. the pure foam of the Plank.

I noticed there was a lot of a chatter on Brooklyn Bedding being great a few years back, but nothing in the last year or so, so I wanted to check in and see if they were GTG.

Hey wormraper,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Brooklyn Bedding is still a very well known manufacturer of many other online brands, sells to mattress retailers, and of course, has its own online brand. I am familiar with their new showroom in Phoenix. They are not one of our trusted members but we would not have anything negative to say about them at TMU. I would certainly recommend you go there and try mattresses and maybe even go to their other locations and research more.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial , which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones and learn just enough to recognize a product using better quality materials or a retailer that is knowledgeable and honest so that you may trust the information you’re presented.

Another important link in the tutorial, if you have time you’ve read, is Post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped.

Thanks for posting and come back if you have any other questions, or update with your choices.

Thanks,
Sensei

thanks, I just wanted to make sure they weren’t a “shunned” retailer at the moment.

I’ve been in and out of their showroom 3x this last week testing mattresses and have come down to those two as my final two. I’ll have to call them up to find out about the foam densities as my bmi is just slightly over 30 (more like 31 atm) to figure out if the Plank’s pure foam would work vs. the bowery hybrid.

I really liked “The Signature” (used to be BME) for the extra durability of Latex foam and coils, but it didn’t support my lower back very well (or my wife’s) and even the firm was on the “low end” of firmness for our liking, even though it seemed to be the “nicer” mattress in terms of construction. Ah well.

@wormraper - If you’d like some additional alternatives, Nest Bedding who is a Trusted Member of TMU also has a showroom in Phoenix and (most if not all of) their mattresses are manufactured for them by BB. They have some unique designs different than those at BB, so you might find another choice there which may be worth your time to investigate. https://mattressunderground.com/list-all/latex-all-latex/item/nest-bedding.html

I’ll see if I can make it up to Phx. I don’t get there that often but if I do I’ll take a peak. I’m super leary about buying one sight unseen as my sports injuries make me much more picky the closer and closer I get to 40 lol.

But more options is always good

FYI - Nest Bedding also has locations in Scottsdale and Surprise AZ if those are closer to you. All of their showroom locations are listed on their website.

surprise is pretty close though. I live in Tucson and I BELIEVE Surprise is a bit closer.

Hey wormraper,

Thanks Sweet Dreams.

It’s good that you are able to continue to test mattresses, and I understand the Signature and your lower back. Good idea and calling the for the density information. I am sure you have probably read this but these durability guidelines are a good guide as you make your choice.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Hey WormRaper, if you can go to Pheonix, there are a TON of great (and TMU approved) manufacturers there. If I could travel to one city in the US to buy a mattress, Pheonix would be it.