Model Change-up at Brooklyn Bedding?

Hi SotY.

The Cushion Firm 12" UD was their # 5 level @ 28 ILD…at a quick glance, it looks like the 12" bliss and the 12" UD Eurotop models are roughly comparable. Both have 8" of poly (BB is 2.17 lb vs 2 lb) base foam, both have 3" of Talalay latex at different firmness/softness choices. Both have 1" quilted Zippered cover with the wool missing from the BB,

Generally, attempting to find something that is exactly the same from another manufacturer is often a frustrating and futile exercise especially if you are trying to do this on your own. There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover, FR barrier, any quilting material, and of course all foam layers) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so you would need to carefully asses the design and the specs of each mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials (Talalay in this case, blended) in order to determine if that the mattress in its entirety will be a good “match” for you or your daughter in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) This is especially important when you are trying to approximate the mattress you are considering with others that use the same type of materials and components which may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you or your daughter to sleep on.

I would tend to keep the focus on the needs for your daughter when buying this bed as she is and will be the primary user. The needs of adults are much different than children’s sleeping needs. Generally, for growing children (3 years or older) you’d want something more in the “medium” to “medium-firm” range, due to their epiphyseal plate and postural formation. 28-32(medium range) it is usually recommended for the upmost 3" layer, which would be quite sufficient to ensure good posture and support. (I’d also keep in mind that Dunlop also has a firmer feel than Talalay of the same ILD.) One of the advantages of getting a multi-layered component style system mattress is that you can add or exchange layers as your child grows. If and when they need a softer comfort layer in their “sleeping system” you can also add a softer topper to any firmer children’s’ mattress when they get older and develop more adult proportions . 12" thickness mattress you are considering is generally not needed for a growing child (they typically won’t need more than 6" or so of layers, and when the needs change if it becomes necessary then you can add some thickness or softness with either another layer inside a new cover or add a softer topper to the mattress.

If you’re looking for something using polyurethane foam, make sure that it has at least CertiPUR-US certification for the foam. If you desire something more “natural”, but want to keep the cost as low as possible, there are many options out there, but I’m most familiar with some offered by out trusted members.

Listed in alphabetical order some of our Trusted Members who carry safe and healthy mattresses for growing children or mattresses are very well suited for children for the lower budget ranges: (I also listed slightly higher budget mattresses as by using the TMU coupon these may be options you’d wish to consider. )

[indent]Arizona Premium Mattress’s Latex Bed for Kids with a great price point.
Flexus Comfort also has a great dual-comfort mattress suitable for children using 100% natural Dunlop latex core
Latex Mattress Factory Naturale Mattress is an option suitable for children.
Luma Sleep’s Base Luma Mattressin its firmer version
My Green Mattress with the Natural Escape (a bit higher budget range but you can use the 125 Off Mattress (Code: TMU125) offered to TMU members)
Pure Echo ( One version has no foam at all and is just an innerspring with a natural fiber cotton/wool comfort layer and the other includes latex.)
Quality Sleep Shop specializes in innerspring mattresses for children
Sleep EZ Roma Latex Mattress with dual side configuration (Medium-Plush and Firm Feels)
Sleep On Latex Pure Green Mattress good price point mattress suitable for children.
Although for a higher budgets Cozy Pure’s two-sided Natural Latex Mattress using Certified Organic Cotton and wool on top of 6" natural Latex core, maybe worth considering[/indent]
As far as other recommendations for mattresses for children, Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children and includes some suggestions and guidelines and to some good quality/value options as well.

You are correct that Matrand tends to be rated firm by most sleepers. It uses a little under 5" of synthetic latex on top of about 2" of 1.7 lb polyfoam so there are no obvious weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to more “average” weight ranges (lower 200’s or less). If you are considering an exchange for another IKEA mattress you can read a bit more about their mattresses in post # 1 & 3 here and you may wish to look into their newest lineup 8" MAUSUND NR latex line (85% NR & 15% SBR Latex) that replacing their Morgongava.

It seems to me that you have a little bit of thinking to do but I’d make sure to run everything through your personal value equation and what is most important to you and your daughter.

Good luck and I’ll be interested in learning about your progress.

Phoenix