More affordable alternative to Naturepedic EOS Pillowtop

I’ve been searching for a new mattress for a year now, off and on due to the pandemic. Found one that I liked at a local shop but the store went out of business between when I tried it (prepandemic) and when I called them a few months later (July 2020). So switch to trying a few delivered ones that have been recommended on here that just ended up not being good fits for me. This past weekend, I stumbled upon a Naturepedic store to try out mattresses, and really liked their EOS Pillowtop (soft latex layer, medium latex layer, and firm coils). But I’m looking for alternatives to it due to the price and am looking for alternatives ideally closer to $1.5k or less but I’d take anything sub or possibly around $2k.

I just can’t justify the Naturepedic price of $3.6k (with 15% discount). I can afford to buy it without credit but it just seems absurd as I doubt I’ll keep it for the full 20 year warranty since I’m currently single and would ideally like to get find a partner and would probably invest in a bigger than queen mattress at that point. Plus just cause I can afford it, doesn’t mean that I should buy it either.

Sleep EZ 360 Hybrid Pillowtop with medium latex and an additional soft dunlop topper seems similar to the EOS Pillowtop layout that I liked. However I’m a bit hesitant after the two bed in a boxes I’ve tried before weren’t for me personally (Flexus Hybrid—didn’t like the zoned coils or talalay—and the Sleep On Latex Medium—was definitely closer but wanted a firmer foundation/softer top I think plus prefer dunlop). I’m 6’, 180, and a combo stomach/side sleeper but mostly on stomach.

Hey EvanTex,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! My apologies for the delayed response, its been a little busy on the forum these days, and thanks for your question.

[quote]I’ve been searching for a new mattress for a year now, off and on due to the pandemic. Found one that I liked at a local shop but the store went out of business between when I tried it (prepandemic) and when I called them a few months later (July 2020). So switch to trying a few delivered ones that have been recommended on here that just ended up not being good fits for me.
[/quote]

I’m sorry to learn that the local shop closed its doors before your purchase, Evan. So many small businesses (as well as people) where devasted by the early and lasting effects of COVID-related illness and shutdowns; it has been a truly “unprecedented” time in history. Sorry to hear also that the mattresses you found here were not a good fit as well. What mattress were you using before and how old was it? What size mattress are you purchasing?

[quote]This past weekend, I stumbled upon a Naturepedic store to try out mattresses, and really liked their EOS Pillowtop (soft latex layer, medium latex layer, and firm coils). But I’m looking for alternatives to it due to the price and am looking for alternatives ideally closer to $1.5k or less but I’d take anything sub or possibly around $2k.

I just can’t justify the Naturepedic price of $3.6k (with 15% discount). I can afford to buy it without credit but it just seems absurd as I doubt I’ll keep it for the full 20 year warranty since I’m currently single and would ideally like to get find a partner and would probably invest in a bigger than queen mattress at that point. Plus just cause I can afford it, doesn’t mean that I should buy it either.
[/quote]

There are other high quality/ better mattresses available with similar designs. Have you considered consulting one of our trusted members to construct a mattress based on the EOS Pillowtop model?

[quote]Sleep EZ 360 Hybrid Pillowtop with medium latex and an additional soft dunlop topper seems similar to the EOS Pillowtop layout that I liked. However I’m a bit hesitant after the two bed in a boxes I’ve tried before weren’t for me personally (Flexus Hybrid—didn’t like the zoned coils or talalay—and the Sleep On Latex Medium—was definitely closer but wanted a firmer foundation/softer top I think plus prefer dunlop). I’m 6’, 180, and a combo stomach/side sleeper but mostly on stomach.
[/quote]

Thanks for your support of our trusted member program :slight_smile: . While these two models were not a fit for your preferences, it does seem that you’re closer to identifying a match. As a mainly stomach sleeper, a dunlop latex hybrid with a 2" comfort layer over pocket coils could be a better choice for you. Just curious: what about the zoned coils did you not like in particular? That is often a good support core choice for stomach/ combination sleepers who prefer a firmer support feel. Looking forward to your updates :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Current Mattress: I have been on a no name mattress that’s about 10 years old. The company that made it was local and went out of business but that was years ago. When I open the zipper, it is just some layers of poly-foam. Unfortunately don’t have much more than that.
And am looking for a queen mattress for my replacement size.

I have not, part of why I was posting since I’d found something I liked feel just out of price range and was going to go from here as I’ve struggled a bit understanding how to use this site outside of reading lots of great info.

I am much closer than I have been and feel like I’ve got a better sense of what I’m looking for both design/feel wise. 2" comfort over pocket coils could work as I do think the 6" of the EOS is getting to the point of unnecessary amount. Though with the caveat that two things I do believe help my feel is have a 2nd comfort layer to transition from a soft to the more firm base. And possibly having a pillowtop or topper to allow a bit of “sink” as they’d be a bit more independent of the firmer based and transition layer. That is more my best description on feels I’ve noticed than possibly accurate meaning, as what I like about my old mattress is that it has a bit of give but not like memory foam which I don’t like nor like talalay which I feel is closer to ‘floating on top’ or pressing me up than a comfortable but minimal sink.

The zoned coils, due to how I sleep, seem to have two issues. The first being that when I flip to my stomach from my side, I usually slide down the bed and find that the zone ends up higher on my body than intended. The second issues has been when I try them, I often feel like the center zone is pressing up further into me making me almost feel like my hips/lower back are at the pivot point of a fulcrum as my upper body and legs feel like they sink lower. Now this variable could be also due to confounding my dislike for talalay with the zoned coils. However in stents trying in stores, I’ve tended to lean more to single firmness coils over zoned.

Hey EvanTex,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

This is definitely doable setup, EvanTex. If you went with the Sleep EZ 360 Hybrid Pillowtopthat you mentioned in your previous post, you would have 2 firmnesses within the mattress pillowtop to experiment with. Or, you could create your own DIY mattress with the help of our trusted members.

That is good news that you have access to local showrooms for testing and comparing mattresses. It does sound as though you are set on your preference for a single-zoned support firmness; good job on narrowing down the mattress types of interest! Based on the conversations we have had, you may consider a Natural Latex Hybrid mattress, and these quality TMU trusted members offer single-zoned Dunlop latex hybrid mattresses comparable to what you seek:

Arizona Premium Mattress(DIY)

Sleep EZ

Fox Mattress

Latex Mattress Factory

Luma Sleep

My Green Mattress

Nest Bedding

Texas Mattress Makers(HD Foam + Coils)

Hope this helps get you started, Evan. My apologies for the delayed response; do you have any updates on your research?

Sensei

Yeah, I took some time to better understand how to use TMU both in looking up other people’s thoughts on Naturepedic and the ask the experts section. I’m in DFW, so have a few other latex manufactures in the area recommended in an old post by Phoenix and plan on going by to test out some similar options.

Also got some info about Naturepdic’s ILD ratings that skew definitely to the softer end with soft being 18 ILD, medium at 26 ILD, and firm at 32 ILD. Though their case and coils are built in-house supposedly so not as much info there.

Leaning a bit toward an all latex over a hybrid after revisiting the Naturepedic store and finding that I struggled to notice a difference in their Pillowtop (8" coil with two 3" latex layers) and Trilux (three 3" latex layers). From what I’ve seen, can somewhat drop cost plus I think allows for greater flexibility of dialing things in.

The biggest question mark I have left is find a comparable case to Naturepedic as I know I can easily replicate in DIY the rest but personally feel their case just felt a little different than anything I’ve tried.

So short update. Decided to buy the Sleep EZ Natural Mattress 10" (3 3" layers of dunlop latex in a soft-medium-firm config that Sleep EZ recommended) for almost two weeks now. In comparison to the Naturepedic it is VERY similar but also different. Sleep EZ’s dunlop is VERY firm compared to Naturepedic. I needed to rearrange the layers into a soft-medium-medium or soft-soft-medium to get a similar feel to the Naturepedic soft-medium-firm. So just be aware for anyone that is trying to replicate Naturepedic that I do think Sleep EZ just has a firm definition and ranges than Naturepedic does.

As for myself, it hasn’t been comfortable as I’m finding I need more give for my shoulder even when I swap to soft-soft-medium vs the soft-medium-firm that Sleep EZ recommended. Will discuss with Sleep EZ about potentially looking into a layer swap but I’m not sure there’s much to be done when it already feels firm on my side with a soft-soft-medium. Maybe seeing if they have an extra soft or see about talalay option for the top layer. But will discuss with them.

Alternatively I’m thinking about maybe an extra soft 2" topper could help. Plus ventured into a Sleep Experts store and found the Serta iSeries 3000 & 4000 to may be other options.

Hey EvanTex,

Thanks for sharing your updates :slight_smile: .

Congrats on your new Sleep EZ Natural Mattress purchase :slight_smile: ! They are extremely knowledgeable in the latex category, and I regard them highly in terms of their experience with product design and customer satisfaction. Regarding differences in Sleep EZ’s dunlop latex versus Naturpedics’ dunlop, this quote from an earlier Phoenix post may shed some light on your experience:

… it’s important to realize and accept that there is no such thing as a “single number ILD” for any Dunlop layer that will be accurate and manufacturers list an ILD or even a range as a convenience to make approximate comparisons. This is also true to a smaller degree with Talalay although in practical terms it is much more consistent even though it is also “averaged” (in the case of blended Talalay). Even if the ILD is measured and “averaged” across the layer … it will vary by individual layer and will also vary depending on whether you have the bottom half or the top half of an original Dunlop core that produced the rating. The top 3" of a molded 6" Dunlop core will generally be softer than the bottom 3". It can also vary depending on which side of a layer you are measuring.

We never discussed your personal statspreviously; knowing your height, weight, and body profile would better help in understanding the source of your shoulder pain. I’m guessing that you are mainly a side sleeper? You are (estimated) approaching 3 weeks on your new setup, and it is quite different from your 10 year old polyfoam mattress, so your body may be going through an adjustment period still. How old are your pillows and what type are you using? Have you reached out to Sleep EZ regarding their thoughts on a layer swap? Feel free to post any questions for expert trusted member Sleep EZ on their forum space here. Let us know how things go and thanks for the excellent comparison review.

Sensei

SleepEZ has been great customer service. And definitely knew the dunlop ranges going in. After trying it, it really is comparable to the Naturepedic line for a great price.

All that being said, I’m still struggling with some shoulder pain and talking with SleepEZ’s customer service, we’ve talked and come the conclusion that I just need more pressure relief in my shoulder than this mattress setup can provide without jeopardizing the support layer so am going through the return process. It was more of an error on my end not thinking I slept as much on my side or needed as much pressure relief on my shoulder.

Looking now more into DIY with something over coils possibly. Tried a 2" talalay over coils mattress at Royal Sleep Products that seemed to provide better pressure relief for me and additionally liked something between Serta iSeries Hybrid 3000 & 4000 lines I was able to try at a Sleep Experts. However I wasn’t a fan of their sales tactics as well as not sure I want to go with one of the S brands.

Hey EvanTex,

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile: .

Thanks for the kind words on your positive Sleep EZ customer service experience :slight_smile: . I’m sorry to hear that you’re still experiencing shoulder discomfort and that their mattress didn’t provide the right pressure relief solution for your shoulder, but at least the return process resulted in a pleasurable outcome. Glad to hear that you’re able to make COVID-safe showroom visits and hope that you’ll find what you seek soon, let us know more when you do.

Thanks,
Sensei