More choice for a latex mattress in Edmonton Alberta Canada?

Hi Phoenix

I’ve been educating myself on beds on your site for some months now (thanks for all the great info) and after looking at big box stores, and moving quickly away from them, my husband and I think we have narrowed our choice down to a natural latex mattress and we already have a slatted base. Problem is lack of options.

We have tested some latex matresses in the only two stores I seem to be able to find here: The Mattress & Sleep Company who sell Greensleep among some other brands and Carbon who sell Sleeptek but the price point is quite a bit more than we initially thought we would have to pay, althought as our hunt takes us deeper into mattress land we realise we may end up paying much more than we thought for a quality mattress with a decent comfort level and life span.

So far between the two stores the price has been $2,298.00 minus Mattress Undergroud 5% for the Sogno model from Green sleep which gives us the option of exchanging layers over time, which we thought seemed like a good idea or $2550.00 for a 6’ single layer of natural rubber from Sleeptek and after we tried the lesser expensive one with layers that could be switched out we sort of crossed this single layer one off our possibility list.

The Greensleep Sogno model spec:

100% organic cotton velour cover
100% pure sheeps wool from Texel in the netherlands
6 1/2" natural rubber tree latex compised of:

top layer 2" soft rubber
Middle layer 3" custom rubber topper (your choice of soft medium or firm for each half of the bed.) We both seem to like the soft.
Bottom layer 1 1/2" firm rubber

100% organic cotton bottom cover.

Have you ever had any feedback on a middle layer split into two sides causing any problems like a ridge appearing or sagging in the middle? What do you think of Greensleep brand?

It would be really nice to have more choices before making a final decision.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Tashmia5,

You can read more about split layers in post #2 here and about loose latex layers vs glued layers in post #2 here but with a suitable tight fitting cover it won’t be an issue.

The brand of a mattress isn’t important to me because outside of how suitable a mattress is for you in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. Having said that … Greensleep makes very high quality mattresses that use very high quality and durable materials and components and there are no “weak links” in any of them although they are also in a more premium budget range than some other latex mattresses.

[quote]It would be really nice to have more choices before making a final decision.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.[/quote]

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Calgary area are listed in post #2 here. You certainly have some good options in the area.

There is also more information in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Wow…thanks for the quick response, I’ll check out those posts.
Calgary is a 3 hour one way trip from Edmonton (6 hours round trip.)
So i am really hoping to find more Edmonton options for convenience time saving and hotel costs.

Tashimia5

Hi Tashmia5,

Oops … I don’t know why I linked the Calgary list when you asked about Edmonton. The Edmonton list here :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Tashmia5,

Nature’s Embrace, a Canadian company also make a line of Organic Dunlop Latex mattresses called the UNISON
here are 2 dealer in the Edmonton Area

FDY Furniture & Interiors
11430-142 Street NW
Edmonton, AB
(780) 452-8275

Futon 2000
7359 - 104 Street
Edmonton, AB
780-482-1245

Good luck with your search!

Hi MFC Memory Foam Comfort,

Futon 2000 appears to be out of business (their website is gone and their number is disconnected) and FDY Furniture is already on the Edmonton list I linked.

Phoenix

Hi phoenix,

Thanks again for the update. We are planning to try a few more latex mattresses in the next week or so with thehelp of the new informationyou provided and hopefuly find our fit.
A mattress hunt can be so mind boggling and a bit intimidating being such a big and important investment for years to come…hopefully :slight_smile:

Your site is invaluable for people who want to do their research. I can tell you which mattress we finally decide on!

Cheers,
Tashmia5

Hi Tashmia5,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with :).

Phoenix