More on Country Bedding - and memory foam

I read the May 2012 posts last night regarding the gentleman who considered buying a Sealy Optimum mattress, but wound up buying a mattress from Country Bedding in Northeast Ohio. This was a great coincidence, since I live about 10 miles from CB and am considering a new memory foam mattress.

I stopped in there today, and they are very nice people indeed. Yes, they are Amish. They have now added memory gel foam as an option to the regular memory foam. The owner said that they were assembling a memory gel foam mattress right then, and my wife and I got to go back to their workroom and watch them put the foam layers together. Pretty neat! The memory gel foam definitely feels cooler than the regular memory foam (we got to put our hands on both types). Of course, we got to lay down on each one as well.

The regular memory foam mattress, which has a 6 inch core with a 2 inch 5# memory foam on either side, retails in King size for $1106, including foundation. The memory gel foam mattress has a 2 inch 4# memory gel foam on either side (same 6 inch core) and is slightly cheaper at $1083, including foundation. They indicated that it is slightly cheaper due to the lighter poundage of the memory foam.

My question: I weigh about 225 pounds. Should I be concerned about the lighter poundage of the memory gel and opt for the regular memory foam, or am I safe at my weight to get the memory gel if we prefer the feel (and presumed coolness)? Either mattress is flippable, and obviously, the price difference is pretty negligible. They also said that they build a mattress with a 7 inch core and a 3 inch memory gel for even less, but I assume that the 2/6/2 will be cooler, give more support and last longer due to the fact it is flippable.

Any thoughts on the poundage issue (or any other issue I should consider)? Thanks.

Hi geobix,

First of all … thanks for the feedback on Country bedding :). I’ve linked this thread to a couple of the other posts that mention them.

Your questions are a little more complex than they may seem at first.

First of all regarding foams that have added gel. Gel is a heavier material than either polyfoam or memory foam so when it is added to a foam, it makes the resulting hybrd foam denser. A 4 lb gel foam in other words means that the base memory foam that was used to add the gel was less than 4 lbs (called the unfilled density or polymer density of a foam) and how much lower it was would depend on the percentage of gel that was added.

In addition to this … there are various ways that gel can be added to a foam which you can see in post #26 here.

Gel is a very durable material but as you can see there are various ways to incorporate it into other foams so the effect on the foam durability would depend on how the gel was added and on the polymer density of the original memory foam. Because there are so many variables and because gel foams are an emerging category … the most accurate way to know the relative durability of a gel foam would be the durability testing that was provided to the mattress manufacturer (if they specified that they wanted it). In general though … if it is not a “particulate” type of gel foam … then the odds are fairly good that the gel foam would be more durable than the same type and density of memory foam without the gel added to it. If the gel was added as particles … then the odds are that it could make the memory foam less durable.

Other than this though …the thickness of a material is a big part of how much any foam softening will affect the overall feel and performance of the mattress. If the layers are thinner (as in your case where the gel foam is only in a 2" layer) … then foam softening will have less of a negative effect than if the layers were thicker (like 3" or 4"). Heavier weights will also lead to more rapid foam softening than lighter weights and this will also be offset by the fact that your mattress can be flipped which will add substantially to the durability of the gel foam. As you mentioned … thinner comfort layers also tend to lead to better support because you are closer to the support layers of the mattress.

Because there are so many variables involved … I would rely on the experience and any specific information the mattress manufacturer may have to make a comparison with other memory foams. If the gel memory foam is not a particulate, because the layers are thinner, and because the mattress is two sided … this mattress would be considerably less risky than it would be with particulate gel or with thicker one sided layers using the same materials. While you have good reason to be cautious with your weight … you also have good reason to be optimistic.

Next is the issue of temperature regulation because the temperature of a material when you put your hand on it (thermal conductivity) is only one of several factors involved in temperature regulation while you are sleeping. There is more about this at the end of post #4 here. In addition to this … there are many different variables and technologies involved in making different memory foams sleep cooler and other factors and layers of your sleeping system (ticking/quilting, mattress protector, sheets and bedding) and external conditions will also play a significant role in how cool you sleep.

All of this is to say that the “non gel” 5 lb memory foam may well be more durable and could also cool well enough for someone depending on the other cooling technologies, materials, and fabrics in the mattress and on it’s construction (again thinner comfort layers will tend to be cooler than thicker layers).

So your question is more complex than you may realize and the truth is that the manufacturer themselves may be in the best position to answer it based on the experience of their customers that have tried both and on the information they have about the gel foam and the rest of the components.

If I was in your shoes and the 2/6/2 two sided construction construction worked for you with both types of memory foam … then I would tend towards the higher density memory foam as long as it had a similar feel and I was satisfied that it was either one of the more breathable types of “non gel” memory foam or that there were other cooling components in the mattress that sleeping temperature wouldn’t be an issue. If I tended to sleep hot and this was a bigger concern than durability or the “uncertanties” involved in the gel foams … then I would tend towards the gel foam because of the other factors that make it less risky in this case (assuming it is not a particulate).

I know that this was probably more detailed than you wanted to hear but your “every night” and long term experience is important and with a little more knowledge about the many variables that are part of your durability and temperature questions … you will be in a better position to make a choice based on “educated intuition” with the help of any information the manufacturer can supply.

Thanks again for the additional information about Country Bedding. Regardless of your choice … it certainly seems that they are producing some good quality and value mattresses :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your response. Don’t apologize for a “complex answer” - I would rather have a complex answer that is accurate, not a simple answer that is potentially misleading.

I read your other post which describes the various ways that gel is formulated into the foam and will check with Country Bedding. Based on pure non-professional observation, I would say that it definitely is not a particulate. The gel appeared to be swirled throughout the foam, and had a decidedly blue color throughout. I’ll let you know what they say.

One other side issue: my wife also laid down on a latex mattress right before we left, and she liked it a great deal. I was not so enamored. Didn’t talk to them about it. Their literature calls this model a “368 coil Euro top latex.” Based on some internet surfing, it appears that a euro top latex has coils underneath a latex layer, instead of pure latex throughout. Is that correct? They said the mattress was flippable, which would mean it would have coils between two layers of latex. For comparison/mattress education, we also stopped last evening at a local Original Mattress Factory and tested both their memory foam and latex mattresses. Their latex mattress is clearly all latex, and felt quite different from the Country Bedding latex mattress. Obviously, there is a significant price differential between CB and OMF.

Thanks again for this website, which provides a valuable resource to many.

Hi geobix,

“Swirl” gel memory foam mixes the gel and memory foam in a way that each can form their own polymer matrix that surrounds and re-inforces each other and is not a particulate. The particulates can actually be seen as little pieces of gel in the memory foam (such as in Serta’s picture here)

The “swirl” version is one of the “good guys” IMO :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

For the record, I stopped in at Country Bedding and inquired about their gel material. They said it is NOT a gel bead, but gel material that is “infused” into the foam. They also used the words “poured” and “mixed.” I’m still not expert enough to know exactly what this means, but it certainly does not appear to be a particulate.

My wife and I have to get on the same page. I’m leaning to the 2-6-2 memory gel foam, but she seems to prefer the 3/7 because it feels “softer” to her (because she sinks in more). She also likes their latex, which definitely is 2 layers of latex around coils. Regardless of where we come out, we very likely will buy from Country Bedding. Good people and what looks to be an excellent quality product.

Hi geobix,

Swirled, co-mixed, mixed, co-poured and other similar terms are all examples of the better types of gel memory foams that are not particulate and are better gel choices.

While I’m (hopefully) “old and wise” enough to know better than to step in between the competing choices and preferences of a couple that would be better resolved at a “local” level :slight_smile: … I would certainly add any “cautions” that I may see in any of your choices.

In this case though it appears to me that you have reached the point where all your choices are good ones in terms of quality and value and a matter of preferences, and this is the best place to be … besides of course making the final decision and actually sleeping on your new mattress.

Good luck in your final decisions and I hope you let us know how it goes.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

It took a little while, but today we put in an order for a new mattress at Country Bedding. We finally decided on a memory foam mattress that has 3 inches of memory gel on top of a 7 inch memory foam base layer. This was a bit of a compromise choice. My wife originally was leaning towards CB’s latex euro-top coil mattress with a pillowtop, while I leaned towards a 2/6/2 flippable memory gel. However, the 3/7 memory gel mattress felt almost as good as the latex to my wife, (she thought the 2/6/2 was just too firm), so we decided on the 3/7. It’s maybe a tad softer than I would have picked myself, but overall both of us feel very good about the process and are happy with our decision. Price of a king set - mattress and foundation - is $1,006 plus tax. We both feel great about that!

We did check out a few “name” brands just for comparison. Personally, I liked the feel of the Sealy Optimum line better than the Serta iComfort line. However, we liked the CB every bit as well if not more so, and it was half the price. So it was a no-brainer.

We are going to be out of town for a few weeks, so we won’t pick it up until after the 20th of September. I’ll post a quick review of it after we’ve slept on it for a few nights, but right now I’m very pleased. Thanks again for your help - this is a terrific website!

Hi geobix,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m glad to see that you decided on a good compromise between you.

Like you mentioned … there is certainly no doubt of the value of your new mattress compared to so many of the alternative “mainstream” choices … and I’m looking forward to your feedback and review once you’ve slept on it.

If only they would get a phone so I could talk with them … but since that’s not likely to happen … feedback from their customers like you is the next best thing.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Phoenix

My wife and I stopped in at Country Bedding tonight to take a look at their memory foam. We tested one of their regular foam beds and it felt great.

Phoenix - I believe you were wondering if their foam was made in the USA, I verified with him that it was. I also verified they use the same core foam between the two beds.

One of my concerns is that the 10-yr (1") warranty only applies if we buy the set. He said this is standard, however I can’t verify this. Is this standard in the industry? We have a bed with slats that we want to put the mattress on - and if that will work I would rather do that then spend the extra $150.

My other concern is my weight. I’m a bit bigger then then geobix, weighing in at around 270. What criteria should I be looking for?

Hi tedbalog,

Mattress warranties will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some insist on using only the matched foundation while some are OK with a “suitable” foundation (for example Tempurpedic which doesn’t really define “suitable” or Serta’s iComfort or Lady Americana which both define a “suitable” alternative). Some such as Comfort Solutions are very vague and don’t really say one way or the other (although they strongly imply that you should use their foundation). Restonic strongly implies that only their own foundation is “matching”.

In the end though the manufacturer’s warranty is the final word although most allow for an alternative foundation or an adjustable bed (if the mattress is suitable for this). Perhaps you could ask to read the warranty itself to see what it says and to make sure that this really is the case because a good platform bed with center support to the floor will certainly be as “supportive” and “suitable” as most foundations.

In terms of your heavier weight … besides the “standard” testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal Preferences) it becomes more important to make sure that the quality of the materials … especially the comfort layers … are high quality. With regular memory foam I would make sure it is at least 5 lbs (less than this will soften or degrade more quickly). Gel foams are an emerging category and they don’t really have enough real life experience to know for certain but in the meantime I would look for “non particulate” gel foams in the 4 lb range and up unless the manufacturer can validate that anything less than this has durability testing behind it to show that it would be suitable for your weight in the longer term. A two sided construction would also be a durability bonus but this would mean that you were more limited in the thickness of the comfort layers.

Thanks for verifying that the foam is US made as well. At least that greatly improves the odds that it is good quality (although I would still want to know the density information).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

We have now slept for a week on our new Country Bedding mattress, and I wanted to give you an initial report. It is a memory foam mattress, with 3 inches of gel-infused memory foam on top of a 7 inch foam base layer.

Overall, I am very pleased with the mattress. We had a bit of off-gassing odor for a few nights, but the aroma is now completely gone. Workmanship appears to be exemplary. It is sleeping quite cool, in part because we switched from a tee-shirt like cotton sheet (which was quite warm and cozy) to a more traditional high thread count linen-like cotton sheet. I am very happy with the support and “feel” of the mattress - just the right amount of firmness and support for my pressure points - and my sleep has definitely improved. My wife also likes the mattress, but will likely have a longer “break-in” period before she is totally sold. The mattress is fairly firm, which I prefer - but she has always preferred something a bit more “plush.” So she isn’t quite as immediately enamored as I am, although she readily agrees that she needs to sleep on it for a longer time - a month, at least - before she formulates a final opinion. Her sleep is improved, but not as much as mine has been.

If she still wants something “more plush” after a month, we have talked about addressing that issue with a mattress topper. I’ve glanced at a few forum posts that talk about toppers, and I gather that 2 inch thick (or less) toppers best allow the firmness of the mattress to not be compromised, while still adding some “softness.” Any thoughts about which material would work best with a memory foam mattress - latex, wool, down, more memory foam? While I understand that this is a personal choice, any general thoughts you might have on it would be appreciated. Since we have saved around $1,000 as opposed to the name brands we shopped, I am certainly willing to invest a little more in a quality topper if we go that route.

I must say that dealing with Country Bedding was a true joy. Since they do not have a telephone or website, it’s true that all communication - placing the order, arranging for pickup since they do not deliver - had to be face to face. However, with the money we saved, I was quite willing to do some extra “work.” And they are extremely customer friendly. I showed up around noon with a pickup truck to get the mattress, and they were eating lunch in their house across the driveway from their shop. The manager saw us drive in, interrupted his lunch, and happily got the mattress/foundation out of the shop, loaded it on my truck and secured it with twine. He could not have been nicer. They are great, reputable people to deal with, make a quality product, and I certainly would recommend them to anyone else in this area.

Thanks again for running a terrific forum.

Hi geobix,

Thanks for a great review :slight_smile:

The more feedback I get about them the more it seems that the “locals” are fortunate to have such a good manufacturer in the area.

I think that you are wise to wait for a bit because as you mentioned the mattress will go through an initial softening period (and different foams will go through this to different degrees).

As far as what to use if it’s necessary … It would depend to some degree on her body type and sleeping position and the specific “symptoms” whe was experiencing after the first month but in general I would probably tend to use 1" - 2" of lower density more breathable memory foam or gel foam. The reason for this is that anything else you put on top (latex, polyfoam, synthetic fiberbeds, wool etc) will tend to allow less heat to reach the memory foam and will cause it to be firmer even if the material itself is softer and it seems like you prefer the slow response memory foam “feel”. In other words … I would just add a little thickness to what you already have and with only 3" of memory foam in the mattress … you have some “room” to add some thickness.

This means that I would tend towards one of two directions.

1. A lower density 3 or 4 lb memory foam that is both soft and breathable. This way you will sink into it more evenly (you will “go through” it equally so it won’t compromise your alignment) and for her it will add softness which she is looking for. Using a lower density memory foam will mean that it won’t be as durable but it can be replaced if it softens too much and they are inexpensive. The thinner the better and if you only needed a “little bit” of extra softness I would tend to go with an inch. If you need a little more like 2" … I would tend towards 4 lb. Buying from a source that provides a refund (for example if you choose an inch and it turns out you want 2" or the other way around) may also be a good idea so you can “experiment” without risk.

2. You could buy a little higher quality gel memory foam topper if you wanted a similar feel and performance on top to what you have now. Again I would go with as thin as possible. This will be a little more but it will be more durable and may be closer to what you have already … just a bit softer with the extra thickness.

Either way … I would tend to go with a slow response material in as thin a layer as it seems you can “get away with” depending on how she feels after the break in period and on her “specs”.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the tips on the toppers. If we decide in a month or so to get more softness, memory foam (gel or otherwise) does seem like a logical way to go. I can understand how other topper types might impede the warmth to our existing gel layer and thereby make it harder (just what we want to avoid). And the other name brand memory foam mattresses we tried all had multiple layers of foam, so they apparently agree with the concept as you explained it. Also glad to know that, with 3 inches of foam at present, we still have some “room” to add foam if necessary.

I did take a cursory look at memory gel toppers on the net, and it appears that 2" is sort of the entry point for that type of topper. The Sleep Innovations gel foam appears to get good reviews on several sites that I visited, and it might be one we consider. It apparently is a 3.35 weight foam - right in the middle of what you suggest. Any other memory gel foam topper recommendations?

I will post again in a month or so to report on where we are after an extended trial. Thanks again.

Hi geobix,

If you decide to go in the direction of gel memory foam … the vast majority of the gel listings on the internet are for gel memory foam which uses gel particulates or beads which I would avoid (you can see more about the different types of gel foams in post #2 here).

There are some sources for some of the better gel memory foam options (as well as regular memory foam) in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Just a report after sleeping on our Country Bedding mattress for 3+ weeks. Both I and my wife have experienced significantly better sleep than on our prior mattress, and we are extremely happy with our purchase. Originally, I thought I would likely get a topper eventually, as my wife initially felt the memory foam we selected was almost too firm. After 3 + weeks, she now has decided that she likes the firmer feel, and isn’t interested in a topper right now. Another good reason why it is good to give products a good test before you form a final opinion!

Part of the reason we are sleeping better is that we moved from a queen to a king, which does give each of us more room. However, I’m convinced the major reason for improved sleep is the memory gel itself. It provides outstanding support for our body stress points, and we both love the fact that we don’t feel the other one’s movements - rolling over, getting up to go to the bathroom, going to bed at different times, etc. Sleeps cool with no off gassing odor. We are extremely pleased with our selection of this type of mattress and would make the same choice in a heartbeat.

As I said in earlier posts, we couldn’t be happier with the quality or service provided by Country Bedding. The fact that we saved nearly $1,000 over name brands obviously is great as well. We certainly would recommend them to anyone in Eastern Ohio looking for a new matress. And once again, thanks for this website and forum. It certainly steered us in the right direction, and we are very grateful. Continued success to you!

Hi geobix,

Thanks for the great update (and your comments about how you have adjusted to and now prefer a different “feel” over the first few weeks as well which are particularly valuable for those who have purchased a new mattress) :slight_smile:

It’s also great to see comments about Country Bedding specifically because they don’t have a phone so the experiences of members like yourself is really the only way for us to know that they provide the great quality/value and service that they do.

Phoenix