Most chemical & synthetic free mattress for kids

I have been scouring the internet for the last 2 days trying to find 2 twin size mattresses for my toddler boys to use for the next few years while sleeping in the same room. Once the boys transition to their own rooms, we will switch them to their own full size mattress and use the twin mattresses in a guest room.

I called Ikea about their latex mattresses but found synthetic materials to be used in their latex and also read it in on one of your posts. I also spoke to Urban Mattress (D.C. area where we live) about the Donlopolli Harbor mattress but found the bottom layer consisted of part latex & part polyurethane. I also found that just because some mattress companies are certified with CERTI PUR US doesn’t necessarily mean the mattress is all clean of chemicals and synthetics. It’s making me dizzy. :side: I’m in search of the most chemical-free & synthetic-free, all latex (Talalay or Dunlop) mattress without breaking the bank. So, I came across Astrabeds and thought I hit the jackpot with their list of eco-friendly claims and price…until I read your posts, Phoenix! Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for reading!! Cheers!

Most natural would be pure plant and animal fibers like wool and cotton. A 5" wool mattress wouldn’t be hard to make and they are available premade online as well.

If latex is what you want, the code words seem to be “100% All Natural Latex” to get you the most pure latex. Though some of us don’t bother with the label and just say it how it is. Arpico is a popular Dunlop process company that only makes natural not synthetic has been in the US for a few decades.

Another linguistic catch to get the best latex is to search using the words “organic latex”. Organic latex is the same formula as natural latex, but the companies that make it also make natural latex that is 100% All Natural. Arpico is again one of them as is CocoLatex. Latex Green also makes organic, but I have to say its smell is rather strong the first few weeks.

It doesn’t look like Latex Green makes a twin mattress and CocoLatex is in NZ. Looking for Arpico products in US now.

Hi Leann,

Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children which includes information about the better options for children that I’m aware of.

There is also more in post #2 here and the posts it links to about organic, natural, green, and “safe” mattress materials and the differences between them (all of these have different meanings) that should help you decide on which materials you are most comfortable with and sort through the complex and somewhat confusing issues that can help you answer “how safe is safe enough for me?” on a more personal level.

Once you have narrowed down the materials you are comfortable with it will be much easier making choices based on your “material” criteria.

Latex Green, Arpico, and CoCo latex are all Dunlop foam manufacturers not mattress manufacturers and they supply their latex to mattress manufacturers that make mattresses of every size. CoCo latex manufactures their Dunlop latex in India but their North American office and supplier is Latex Global in California.

Phoenix

Thank you for your help and support!

I made my decision today after going through every mattress retailer on Mattress Underground’s Recommendations. I also made a few more phone calls to various retailers to be sure. I found a few good retailers I liked with a very green product in which I was looking. My final decision on buying 2, twin size mattresses for my sons was with Flexuscomfort. No chemicals, all natural products and the best price I found. I spoke to the owner, Henry, and requested copies of certification by Oeko Tex and he happily obliged. I also came to find out that his supplier is Latex Green. :slight_smile: He was very pleasant and answered all my questions.

And let me tell you, through tricky wording, and diligent research, certified dealers are only certified with certain materials, not the entire composition of a mattress. if you’re looking for something eco-friendly and safe for the family, be sure to do your research in you’re in the market.

I can’t wait for our mattresses to arrive and assess the final results.

I’m lucky to have found your mattress forum in my quest to buy safe mattresses for my sons.

Hi Leann,

Congratulations on your new mattress. As you know I think highly of Flexus and I think you certainly made a great quality/value and “safe” choice :slight_smile:

I couldn’t agree with you more and as you mentioned it’s always important to know the specifics of every layer in a mattress … especially when your criteria is more stringent than most.

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback with us when you receive it.

Phoenix