Most water resistant but also breathable mattress protector?

I am considering going into debt to get a new mattress so i might be getting a full mattty afterall. But of course i would like to protect the investment and my greatest fear is my dog having a wee accident on the bed. What are my best options that are not not over $50 if possible. If over $50 he could just stay off the bed until i have the $.

Hi paisley,

You can read more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

If your limit is less than $50 then one of the options that use a thin semi breathable membrane would probably provide the best combination of ventilation and waterproof qualities for most people although they are not as breathable and can increase sleeping temperature more than the other two types (which are either water resistant or moisture absorbing rather than “waterproof”).

It depends on which of the properties of each different type are most important to you because none of them have the best of all worlds and there are always tradeoffs involved.

Phoenix

Thanks.

paisley, if you’re anywhere near an Original Mattress Factory store, they have a 70% cotton and 30% polyester mattress cover. I bought mine pretty quick, but did look around a little and it looked a good deal. They charge $35 for a queen. You can just stop in any Original Mattress Factory store and pick one up.

The cover is two layers (that are bonded together somehow). The polyester is on the back of the cover that touches the bed. The cotton is on the front that would touch your skin (without sheets).

I’ve got it on my bed for the last 2 days and am very happy with it. I am very, very heat sensitive, and I am wondering if the polyester is helping my body heat up at night. But if it is, it’s not a big difference, and I’m not for sure either way yet.

Because of the polyester, the mattress cover is supposed to be 100% waterproof. I haven’t personally tested it though of course.

I bought this one and so far real happy with it. I have it on a memory foam mattress. It is a thin terry cloth and doesn’t seem to make the mattress hot.

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/accessories/sleep-tite-mattress-protector

Interesting. I like the way yours looks better than the one I got.

But I wonder how it’s both breathable and 100% waterproof? Breathable means air can get through. If air can get through, it seems like water could get through.

Hi levander,

These are the “membrane type” that I’ve mentioned that allow water vapor to go through but not water or moisture (similar to materials like gore tex that are used in “breathable” waterproof jackets). These are what I would call “semi breathable” and are the ones I mentioned that some people find sleep warmer … but they are waterproof and thin and have little effect on a mattress which is why they are very popular.

Phoenix