Motion Transfer Issue

I have posted previously about issues my wife and I were having issue due to me tossing and turning (shoulder pain) and keeping her awake. We had decided to buy an inexpensive memory foam topper ($100) and while it has greatly helped my shoulder pain, I am still tossing and turning (sometimes I don’t even know I’m doing it). So now we are contemplating buying a new mattress. At the top of our list of requirements obviously is motion transfer. We currently have a queen size innerspring mattress (Simmons Beautyrest Classic Trinity Park Plush Firm Euro Top) so buying a king size mattress is definitely a must. I am also seriously thinking about buying two Twin XL mattress and placing them together (side by side creating a “king”). I’m leaning toward the Brooklyn Bedding model. Any advice?

Hi pmsmith2032.

Regarding selecting a mattress, I’ll refer you back to my earlier replies to your previous thread, specifically posts #2, #4, and #6 (where I also answer your question about Brooklyn Bedding).

If you’re considering using two twin extra long mattresses, and if they are on separate bed frames and separate foundations, that is certainly the best way to minimize motion transfer, as you’ll have two independent units. If you’re placing two twin extra long bed sets upon the same frame, you’ll still have the capacity for some transfer of motion.

In general, there is more about motion transfer in post #18 here. Memory foam is the best at motion transfer but latex, pocket coils, microcoils, buckling column gel, and even polyfoam are generally good as well but it will depend to some degree on the specific design of the mattress, on your relative weight ranges, and your sleeping style (such as how close you sleep together). Pocket coils are generally good for motion transfer unlike innersprings that are linked with helicals which are generally poor to fair depending on the specifics of the innerspring and the foam layers above it. Just as an example most people will tell you that a mattress that uses latex comfort layers such as the BME would be relatively good at motion isolation but there are also some that will tell you otherwise which is a good example of why once again the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is “motion isolating enough” for you would be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience with both of you on the mattress in the positions you normally sleep in.

Good luck!

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I am planning on making one of the DIY bed frames…if I make it one piece, would there be any advantage to purchasing two twin XLs (assuming Brooklyn mattress) to a king? The king is $50 less than two twin XLs but since motion is such an issue, any benefit would be worth the money.

Hi pmsmith2032.

Yes, there will be a benefit in motion transfer, regardless of the type of mattress, if you have two twin extra long products versus a king mattress. There certainly will be less capacity for motion transfer with the items disconnected.

You’ll want to make sure the DIY bed frame you’re making is very solid. This will also assist with minimizing motion transfer.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I know there are a number of DIY platforms online…are there any you recommend for our situation?

Since we’ve never slept on latex before is there an in-store model in stores that we could test out that would be somewhat similar to what Brooklyn Bedding offers?

Actually I spoke to Mario at Brooklyn and he referred me to Chuck at Dream foam. Mario said that memory foam would be better than latex for motion transfer.

Hi pmsmith2032,

In your previous reply you stated that you were “making” a DIY bed frame, which I took to mean that you would be creating one of your own design from scratch, as opposed to “assembling” someone else’s design. If you’re looking to create your own, there are many ideas and plans available online by doing a simple “DIY platform bed” search. There are of course many pre-manufactured options available which would ship to you that you would simply assemble once it arrived at our home.

The key thing will be support, solidity and mass. You want to make sure whatever structure you choose has solid center reinforcement (I prefer slats no more than 3" apart for breathability, but you could certainly choose a solid deck). You also want to make sure that the construction ends up being quite solid. This will assist in not “amplifying” your movements in bed and help to minimize motion transfer.

I already answered this exact question in your previous thread, post #6.

I would add:

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Hi pmsmith2032,

Yes this is correct. There is more information about motion transfer in the link I provided to your previous question in this thread in post #2.

Phoenix