Multiple mattress toppers?

So after researching sleep number beds, I decided to buy one. I realized quickly that you are just paying $700-$800 for every inch of plush topping. So I decided to purchase a 3" latex topper and buy the C2 base model sleep number bed.

Well I got the topper in on Wednesday. I placed it on my old mattress that had a 3" plush topping already. And I had a great nights sleep the last couple of nights. Much less pain in my back and hip when I wake up. I was very satisfied. I actually left my first review on Amazon. We purchased a 3" Talalay topper. It was the softest one.

Well I got my Sleep Number bed in today and I noticed that at my Sleep Number setting of 45, the bed is noticeably less soft, even with the 3" latex topper on it. Now I havent slept on it yet, so I’m still holding off on any judgments.

But…I was wondering if it is recommended/allowable to place one mattress topper on top of another? I was considering purchasing another 2" topper to place on top.

What do you think?

Hi HoosierLife,

I would sleep on the combination for a couple of weeks before deciding whether to make any changes so that your mattress can break in and you have a chance to adjust to the feel of a new mattress as well. It may also be worth experimenting with the firmness of your mattress as well. It’s not surprising that it would feel different because the mattress under a topper will have a significant effect on how a topper feels.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using multiple toppers although they may shift a little and you may need to realign them from time to time.

If I was in your shoes and you can’t return the C2 for a refund (which would be my first choice if it was possible) I would tend to use the C2 on a much firmer setting so it wouldn’t sag as much in the middle under your weight and would be a more suitable support core and then add another topper that was firmer than your current topper in between your current topper and the air bladder to act as a transition layer in between the soft topper and the air bladder and then once you have a suitable combination of toppers you can enclose them in a single cover to reduce any shifting in the layers.

Phoenix

The [quote=“Phoenix”]
Hi HoosierLife,

I would sleep on the combination for a couple of weeks before deciding whether to make any changes so that your mattress can break in and you have a chance to adjust to the feel of a new mattress as well. It may also be worth experimenting with the firmness of your mattress as well. It’s not surprising that it would feel different because the mattress under a topper will have a significant effect on how a topper feels.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using multiple toppers although they may shift a little and you may need to realign them from time to time.

If I was in your shoes and you can’t return the C2 for a refund (which would be my first choice if it was possible) I would tend to use the C2 on a much firmer setting so it wouldn’t sag as much in the middle under your weight and would be a more suitable support core and then add another topper that was firmer than your current topper in between your current topper and the air bladder to act as a transition layer in between the soft topper and the air bladder and then once you have a suitable combination of toppers you can enclose them in a single cover to reduce any shifting in the layers.

Phoenix
[/quote]

I don’t particularly want to return it. I’ve essentially turned a C2 into a P6. I do know I really liked the i8. Oh, I do also have their cooling mattress pad as well.

So another 2 inches would get me between an i8 and an i10. I’m a side sleeper, so softer seems to help a lot. Plus I’m overweight. As I was testing the bed out, I went down from my initial 55 number that I had at the store to a 45. As I did that I started to fall asleep lol.

I will definitely test it out for a couple weeks before I make any decision. I always do :). Thanks for the quick and thorough reply Phoenix!

Hi HoosierLife,

You can see my thoughts about airbeds here and the C2 seems like a rather costly way to buy what is basically a support core for a mattress but if you are comfortable with your purchase and the limitations of using air as a support core then of course the choice of components is always a personal preference and your actual results and experience in “real life” will always “trump” theory.

While this may be true in terms of thickness alone … the type and firmness of the foam layers would have much more to do with how a mattress feels and performs than just the thickness alone and this would only be true if you were using the same type, thickness, and firmness of foam layers and they were underneath the same mattress cover instead of on top of it. The foam layers you are using are latex which is very different from the foam used in both the i8 and the I10.

Phoenix

Well I’ve been reading up on support and comfort layers and now I see why you suggest a more firm layer underneath. Without that, you don’t believe the air bladders provide a good enough support core?

I’ve spoken to so many people who own an air bed, and love the, and wouldn’t sleep on anything else. I wanted to purchase from less “advertised” mattress sellers, but the wife would not buy anything she could not lay on first, no matter what kind of return policy the other less expensive, higher quality manufacturers offered.

So I went with the cheapest Sleep Number and decided to create my own comfort layer. I really do like the adjustability and the fact that I can replace any and everything on this bed.

I just want a good nights sleep and not waking up sore…and a happy wife (who happens to be 7.5 months pregnant :). )

Hi HoosierLife,

In general terms yes that’s correct. Outside of any stretch in the bladder itself … air doesn’t provide any progressive support and it’s either fully compressed or not compressed at all. Some airbeds have a separate section in the middle under the heavier part of the body that can be independently adjusted that would be an improvement but in general terms air isn’t an ideal support system.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Phoenix

Funny enough, I asked this same question to the company that sold me the talalay topper from Amazon Amazon.com

Here is his reply:
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us.
You could definitely add another topper.
I don’t know if I would get another soft topper though.
I would probably recommend buying a medium comfort topper and putting that between the mattress and your current topper.
That would allow you to layer the mattress to get away from the firm mattress, but not make the mattress very soft.
Does that make sense?
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me or give me a call.
Thanks,

So that seems to agree with your statement. After an afternoon of reading and studying this issue, I do think I need some more support beneath my comfort layer. Money is not an issue here. Though I like to get the most for my money. I know now that I like the latex as a comfort layer.

With all that being said, what layer would you add for an addition transitional/supportive layer for what I’m sleeping on now. Taking into account that I am overweight and my hips and shoulders will sink through the latex and will be resting on the bladders as my support layer most likely.

Hi HoosierLife,

That’s not surprising since they are one of the members of this site and are very knowledgeable and experienced with helping their customers make good choices (although of course nobody has a crystal ball that can predict what will work well for someone with complete certainty).

When you can’t test a combination of layers in person then the most reliable source of guidance would generally be a more detailed conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced supplier that has your best interests at heart (which would include Dreamfoam) and their suggestions along with a good exchange/return policy would be the most effective approach.

I’m not sure what the ILD of your topper is or your weight or sleeping positions which will all affect your choices but if you are overweight I probably wouldn’t have chosen the softest topper available because firmer foams will generally feel softer for those that are in higher weight ranges than they will for those that are in lower weight ranges and if a layer is too soft then you can “go through it” and feel more of the firmness of the layers or the mattress below it. Softer materials will also be less durable than firmer materials of the same type.

In very general terms I would agree with their suggestion that a layer in the medium firmness range would probably have the best chance of success and then depending on how well it works you can exchange one of your toppers for something firmer or softer if your actual experience indicates that it’s necessary.

First of all though I would wait for a few weeks before considering any changes at all so that what you already have has a chance to break in a little and you have a chance to adjust to a new sleeping system.

Phoenix

Well now you have me second guessing my choice here. Especially when I saw them put this thing together and realized I paid $500 for 15-20 pieces of plastic Legos for a base and $1500 for an air mattress. Then $400 for the topper.

I can already tell it is not comfortable to lay on. It feels too firm to me. Like I’m sinking through the latex and am resting directly on the air bladders. I laid on my side for a few minutes and my hip was hurting me.

I know with just the topper on my old mattress I slept better than I had in a log time. Though I could still feel the impression and some of the coils from the Sealy poking at me. I would usually wake up tossing and turning every couple of hours and have tremendous back and hip pain in the morning. I didn’t have hardly any of that the last 3 nights.

The Sealy had a 3" polyfoam topper if
I remember correctly. The wife just came home and laid on it and said it was fine. After I explained our conversation, about comfort and support layers, she responded in shock realizing I was thinking of returning the bed.

The real kicker is that we paid Sleep Number to take our old bed away lol. We do have a cheap $600 queen memory foam in the guest room. I wonder how a king topper would work on that while we waited for a new bed…

If we liked the latex, and both me and my wife did, couldn’t we just purchase an all latex mattress? Or should we find a local wholesaler to deal with first?

Sleep number has a 100 day trial but I think you have to keep the bed at least 30 days (or maybe it’s the full 100) before you can even return it. So I have some more time to research.

Hi HoosierLife,

I would say that the latex topper was a “good quality/value” choice but I would also question the “value” of the other choices you made unless you can “make them work” with the right combination of layers on top of a firmer air bladder.

[quote]I can already tell it is not comfortable to lay on. It feels too firm to me. Like I’m sinking through the latex and am resting directly on the air bladders. I laid on my side for a few minutes and my hip was hurting me.

I know with just the topper on my old mattress I slept better than I had in a log time. Though I could still feel the impression and some of the coils from the Sealy poking at me. I would usually wake up tossing and turning every couple of hours and have tremendous back and hip pain in the morning. I didn’t have hardly any of that the last 3 nights.[/quote]

With the softer polyfoam in your mattress it would be softer than your airbed so it’s not surprising that you would feel more pressure points with the airbed “through” the soft topper and it’s also not surprising that the combination of softer polyfoam in your mattress along with a very soft topper would cause back pain because with 6" of very soft materials on top of your sleeping system (the polyfoam and the topper) it would probably be too soft for you and you are probably sleeping out of alignment which is the most likely cause of your back pain.

The combination may also be a better “match” for your wife than it is for you because of differences in her body type, sleeping positions, or sensitivity.

You could purchase any mattress that you wished of course but it would be important that any mattress you purchase is a good “match” for both of you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because a latex mattress that works perfectly for some people may still be too soft or too firm for someone else and could be unsuitable for them to sleep on. While latex is a great material … choosing the “right” latex mattress is more important than just choosing any latex mattress.

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for each person’s specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

While adding another topper is still an option of course … if you do decide to start over again then I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

I must have misspoke. When I placed the latex topper on my Seeley, that’s when the back pain disappeared. I put the new topper on the old mattress on Tuesday. And every night since I woke up refreshed and relatively pain free.

I did have a little pain this morning, but I slept for 10 hours. That never happens, but a combo of new medication and the topper contributed to that.

Does that change your recommendation?

I am definitely a “princess and the pea” type and my wife seems to not care at all and can sleep on anything.

Hi HoosierLife,

[quote]I must have misspoke. When I placed the latex topper on my Seeley, that’s when the back pain disappeared. I put the new topper on the old mattress on Tuesday. And every night since I woke up refreshed and relatively pain free.

I did have a little pain this morning, but I slept for 10 hours. That never happens, but a combo of new medication and the topper contributed to that.

Does that change your recommendation?[/quote]

There are too many unknowns and variables involved for anyone (including me) to make any specific recommendations so the best I can do is provide some “possibilities” based on your feedback that you would need to test in your own “real life” experience to see if they work well for you but if your experience or symptoms are different from what you described then it could certainly change the options that would have the best chance of success yes.

At this point I would sleep on your mattress/topper combination for a little longer because your experience is quite likely to change over the first few weeks and then decide on what to do based on any symptoms you are experiencing when you’ve slept on your mattress for a little longer and any “symptoms” you are experiencing have “stabilized”.

If the topper works well on your old mattress and you are sleeping well and “symptom free” then it may also be worth just keeping the mattress/topper combination that is working well for you.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=52155]Hi HoosierLife,

[quote]I must have misspoke. When I placed the latex topper on my Seeley, that’s when the back pain disappeared. I put the new topper on the old mattress on Tuesday. And every night since I woke up refreshed and relatively pain free.

Does that change your recommendation?[/quote]

There are too many unknowns and variables involved for anyone (including me) to make any specific recommendations so the best I can do is provide some “possibilities” based on your feedback that you would need to test in your own “real life” experience to see if they work well for you but if your experience or symptoms are different from what you described then it could certainly change the options that would have the best chance of success yes.

At this point I would sleep on your mattress/topper combination for a little longer because your experience is quite likely to change over the first few weeks and then decide on what to do based on any symptoms you are experiencing when you’ve slept on your mattress for a little longer and any “symptoms” you are experiencing have “stabilized”.

If the topper works well on your old mattress and you are sleeping well and “symptom free” then it may also be worth just keeping the mattress/topper combination that is working well for you.

Phoenix[/quote]

Well I have to buy a new mattress as Sleep Number left with my last one…

Here is my analysis of what occurred based off reading all the aforementioned posts and articles you recommended. The Sealy had compressed down so far, that I was most likely sleeping on mostly the support layer. So when I added the latex topper, it then became a new comfort layer that helped with my pressure points. But we bought the Sealy at a discount furniture store and even though we paid a premium price, I doubt we received a quality mattress based off your reccomendations.

So for the past 3 nights, I was sleeping on a wore out comfort layer and support layer that was on its last legs. But just adding a latex comfort layer really turned things around. I probably could have just kept that topper and the old mattress and been fine. But I thought a brand new glorified air mattress would make 10x better. Maybe it will, only the next few weeks can tell.

But based off the above analysis, I think a phone conversation with DreamFoam is in order. As I said, my wife will sleep on anything but was very happy with the topper on the old mattress and with the new air bed. So hopefully after a conversation between DreamFoam and I, we should be able to figure out what latex mattress will be good for me.

Maybe they will even take the topper back.