Murphy bed = No Latex. Innersprings ok.. but how about comfort levels?

I was all set to get a Latex bed for side sleeping and stomach sleeping. but with my Murphy bed I here I cant do that since it will have issues on its side.

I know I want innersprings and for comfort level love something as soft as Latex with its breathability. is poly foam HD hybrid my best bet? I know I don’t want memory foam… thank you guys.

Hi Fasanella, welcome to The Mattress Underground. Glad to have you here.

You say that that your sleeping positions are stomach and side sleeping – but for choosing the right mattress for you, you need to align it with your PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal Preferences) What is your height and weight? Do you have any health issues that may be affecting your sleep? These are things that would be good to know when selecting a mattress.

You may want to first take a look at the mattress specifications you need to know and the mattress durability guidelines to better understand how long you’ll be likely to sleep well on that particular mattress.

I don’t personally have any experience with Murphy Beds but you need to find out from the manufacturer what the maximum weight that the murphy supports (mattress + sleeper) is. Also, what type of support network the mattress would be placed upon (slats - how many and how far spaced apart, link deck, solid deck?). This will determine what type of mattress is suitable. An all latex mattress is very heavy as opposed to innerspring with a foam layer on top of it. I’d also make sure you also double check thickness limitations.

[Quote]is poly foam HD hybrid my best bet?
[/quote]

Not necessarily! Depending on the foam thickness you chose for your side sleeping you may wish to consider a hybrid latex mattress, using 6" pocketed springs with Talalay latex on top. That can save some weight and thickness and still offer much of the feel of latex, and also help promote air flow.You can have a look at these posts discussing using a latex topper here, and post 23 here, and post #64 here

Innersprings are a good choice, as they allow both breathability for the mattress and provide good support in combination with latex instead of memory foam. This will allow you to sleep ‘cooler’ than memory foam which is notorious for sleeping hot and having a dead sand feeling. and there are plenty of variations you can chose from, as long as you choose a mattress whose thickness and weight are supported by your murphy bed. You might want to take a look at our the Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground to see some options.

Hope this is of some help,

Basilio

I have a latex mattress on my murphy bed in my guest room and it works perfectly! Haven’t had any issues with the mattress even though the bed is in the upright position more times than not. As Basilio said you just have to make sure that you find a murphy bed that will accommodate the thickness you want. Plenty of different murphy bed options out there. I would also make sure you find one that is easier to lift up into the closed position if you are going to purchase a thicker/heavier mattress. They can really be a pain to close if the mattress is very heavy. Luckily the murphy bed I purchased has a dual piston lift system that makes it much smoother to put up and take down.

Hi EmilyL,
Thanks for sharing your experience with a latex mattress for your Murphy bed, hopefully it will help point other consumers in the right direction!

Basilio