Must choose a Simmons

I love your mattress forum! It’s amazing how generous people can be with their knowledge and time.

I have a 5 year old Simmons Quinlan pillow top that appears to have qualified for replacement under the warranty. Still waiting for the “official” word.

I’ve been reading posts here until my eyes hurt and am hoping that you can recommend something from Simmons that will stand the test of time. My friend loves her Comforpedic Loft, but I’ve read your comments about the low quality 24 ILD support foam. I believe I will be obligated to purchase from the Simmons line, unfortunately the store I’m dealing with did not have much from Simmons to try out. I live in a rural area where mattress stores are few and far between. If I don’t end up qualifying under the warranty I am leaning toward a latex over pocket coil springs. I’m not finding any models like that in the Simmons line.

I am a 5’ 2" 130 lb., strictly side sleeper
I thought I preferred a soft pillow top, but found a firmer non-pillow top to be quite comfortable during a condo vacation.
Zip code 14787

Thank you for any advice and recommendations!

Hi emi,

Hopefully you are one of the “fortunate” ones that actually qualifies for a warranty exchange :slight_smile:

24 ILD is actually not a “quality” spec but a softness/firmness spec. While 24 is lower than average firmness for a support layer (and carries with it the risk that the heavier parts of the body may sink in too deeply), it may still be OK for some depending on their height/weight and the other layers of the mattress.

More important in terms of quality/durability is the density of the memory foam used in the Comforpedic loft. They use a 3.5 lb memory foam which is quite low density (I generally don’t recommend anything under 4 lbs unless it is a very thin layer) and as soft as it is … it would also be subject to further softening. This would be the “weak link” in these mattresses.

If I was forced to choose among the Simmons line … I would likely choose one of the Natural Care models. They are a latex comfort layer over a polyfoam support core and they have either a thin layer of quilting polyfoam or quilting latex in the quilting layers. While they may not be the best value compared to local manufacturers … they are more reasonable than most of the Simmons lineup (depending on the outlet) and don’t have an obvious weak link in the mattress. It would be worth testing these to see how you feel about them compared to a latex/pocket coil hybrid which Simmons doesn’t make.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: us-mattress.com/simmons-latex.html

There are some better choices within reasonable driving distance of Westfield (Fredonia in one direction and Erie in the other) and you will find them in post #313 here (Jamestown has an outlet in Fredonia). Even though it is based in Erie … they would also be the better choices for you (there are no other better value outlets I know of that I would consider that are any closer).

Because of your lighter weight and side sleeping … the odds are good that you would need a softer than average comfort layer and even a softer support core may work OK but I would still tend towards a firmer support layer anyway. If you do go with a softer support layer … then a thinner comfort layer would be a better and “safer” construction (although as I mentioned I wouldn’t go with the Loft anyway because of the low density memory foam).

Hope this helps

Phoenix

I thrilled to say that I’ve been given the official word that I qualify for a new mattress :slight_smile:
Now the challenging part- choosing the right one!

As it turns out I don’t have to choose from the Simmons line, as I assumed would be the case. The store has a very small selection and unfortunately, most of them are memory foam which I fear would be too hot for me. I’m told that an “even exchange” would be a Simmons Beautyrest Classic Hedgerow mattress. Today I tried out the Hedgerow plush pillow top and the plush firm. The store did not carry the plush, that would fall between these two on the softness scale. The pillow top was nice but almost too soft and the firm was way too firm for me.

Do plush style mattresses tend to wear better than the pillow tops?

The other sets they had for me to try out were the Simmons McDonough plush and the Sealy Olympiad plush top.

I copied down the information about the layers of construction on each of these models, but don’t know how to tell what is what with terms like PurFoam Plush and PurFoam Firm.

If I choose a mattress that they don’t carry (in any line) they will try to get it from the manufacturer. Of course, I will have to pay the difference for a more expensive mattress. I originally paid $1250 for the Quinlan set. The Hedgerow sets are only $999, but I didn’t want to get into that today with the sales lady while she was being so helpful. I’ll save that conversation for the owner who knows I’m a loyal customer :slight_smile:

There is a dealer in Erie, PA who has a firm Simmons Natural Care. After laying on the latex beds at Jamestown Mattress, I imagine the firm will not work for me. There are no other showrooms that carry these, and I don’t know if I could order a bed having never tried it out.

Are there brand name mattress styles in this general price range that have impressed you? I hope to continue my quest for the perfect mattress on Monday and would love any direction that you could point me in.

Thank you so much!!!

Hi eml,

Rather than going through all the choices and trying to choose between bad and worse … I would tend to choose a mattress that had the least possible amount of polyfoam in the comfort layers (and they should be able to show you the layer breakdown) and add a high quality topper which would give you the comfort and pressure relief you would need. This will give you a much more durable mattress, especially if the polyfoam was also firmer, lower the risk of your experience being repeated, and also give you a sleeping system where only the topper needs to be replaced if it softens prematurely. A topper will also extend the life of the layers of polyfoam underneath it.

All other things being equal yes. The durability of polyfoam is first based on it’s density but additional factors are firmness (firmer is more durable) and thickness (the softening of thicker layers of polyfoam will have a bigger effect on the mattress than thinner layers). High quality polyfoam that is very high density may be OK in a pillowtop but you won’t normally see this in a major brand. Higher quality specialty foams like latex or even high density memory foam would also be more durable in a pillowtop than lower density polyfoam.

PurFoam is either 1.2 (cheap) or 1.5 lb (a little better but still lower quality) polyfoam. P34 PurFoam is an example of 1.2 lb and P50 PurFoam is an example of 1.5 lb. Words like “quiltlux” is also a hypersoft PurFoam with a very low density and ILD typically used for quilting.

If it doesn’t say “memory foam” or “latex” then it’s almost certainly just a word for polyfoam. Their higher density foams are typically Bloc foam and “furniture grade” foam which are in the 1.85 and 1.95 lb range (which is the highest density they use in any of their mattresses).

Like all foams … latex comes in a wide variety of firmness levels from ultra plush to very hard but it is very durable compared to polyfoam no matter how soft of firm it is. I would much rather have a latex comfort layer though … even if it needed a softer topper for pressure relief … than a lower density polyfoam which again will be much more subject to softening, especially in thicker layers. The less polyfoam there is and the firmer it is (because they all really have too much) the better a base it would be for a topper. The good part about this is that the thinner firmer mattresses are also less expensive.

If you are talking about the top 5 or 6 manufacturers or so (Sealy and Stearns and Foster, Simmons, Serta, Tempurpedic, Comfort Solutions/King Koil, Kingsdown, Select Comfort) then no … not a single one. There may be the occasional model I would consider in these brands (that would be rare but the Natural Care is an example) but that would depend on knowing what was in it and the price it was selling for. They are just to difficult to get any meaningful information to spend any time looking at them unless you really have to and then I would work with thin and firmer (and hopefully a little higher density) foams and add a topper. Some of the next 10 may have some better value but would require careful shopping and a retailer or manufacturer that is willing to tell you the quality specs of their mattresses and unless you know it’s latex or higher density memory foam … even with these second tier manufacturers these specs can be very hard to find.

So overall with the choices you have I would tend to go in the direction of less and firmer polyfoam and add a topper or better yet no polyfoam and latex in the comfort layer and add a topper if you need it.

Phoenix

Thanks for your help!

I’ve been under the impression that a high quality foam topper will have at least some of the heat retaining properties of a memory foam mattress. Would this be correct?

I took a road trip to Paramus, NJ, where I was able to test a Simmons Natural Care Ultra Plush mattress. I was very surprised at how firm it felt. I was quite sure that this would be the perfect feel for me, but remain as baffled as ever.

Hi eml,

This depends on the type of foam you mean. There are three broad categories of foam which are memory foam, polyurethane foam, and latex. Of the three, memory foam tends to be the warmest followed by polyurethane foam and latex is the most breathable of all of them

There there is a range of breathability and ventilation in all of these foam categories though (and all foam types will be warmer than a mattress that uses only natural fibers and no foam at all). Sleeping temperature also depends on many other factors besides just the foam used. Of the three though … memory foam is most closely connected with heat retention issues and they are less common with the other two. There’s more about the factors involved in temperature regulation in post #2 here and there’s more about the various methods used to “cool down” memory foam in post #6 here.

Latex … even in fairly “soft” versions can feel firmer than some people are used to at first … especially if they are used to sleeping on supersoft polyfoam or memory foam. Of course it could also be because of the firmness of the latex they use because I don’t know the ILD of the Simmons. Softness/firmness is very subjective and what some people would call soft others would call firm and this also depends on body type, sleeping position, and the sensitivities of different people. As I mentioned before though … it’s always easier to soften up a mattress that is too firm than the other way around. At least the materials are good quality.

Phoenix

Oh my. After being told that I could choose any mattress, my sales lady waited on hold with her Simmons rep. for an hour and a half only to be told that they could not ship a Natural Care model to her store because the store did not carry this line.

She is now suggesting that I take advantage of the Serta iComfort deal which just began, where I would get a free box spring and have their 120 day in home trial. If it’s not the right mattress for me I can return it and start all over again. The Revolution felt great in the showroom, as you mentioned in your review of it, but I certainly worry about the softening. Would my being a 5’2", 130lb., side-sleeper make this mattress any more appropriate for me than others?

I imagine that the Insight with a topper is the wiser choice, but since toppers are not returnable, how would I have any guess on the right thickness and material to order? I love the feel of a foam topper, but not the warmth.
I see latex toppers in 2" and 3". I assume Talalay would be best for me? I also see natural and blends.

From another page on this forum:
“If I needed to save money and do a DIY I would use foambymail.com
…If I just wanted a latex topper that was softer then foambymail I’d go with latexmattresscompany.com

Knowing that latex will always have a different feel than memory foam, which type/thickness might most resemble memory foam?

I remember the Insight feeling very hard, but will go try it out again tomorrow. How will I ever know how much comfort layer to add without trying them? :unsure:

I’m not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but I wanted to update and ask a new, yet similar question.

I have been sleeping comfortably on the Serta iComfort Insight with a talalay latex topper (measures 2.5", but I recall it being sold as 3") from Jamestown Mattress Factory for 2 years now. Thank you for steering me in the right direction when my pillow top failed.

When visiting my parents I sleep on a very firm mattress with no comfort layer. I plan to purchase and ship a topper prior to my next visit. Since it will get minimal use, cost is as important as comfort. Durability is less important.

I’ve spent the last week reading every relevant post I could find here, and there were a lot!
These seem to be my least expensive choices: (I am 5’2", 125#)

2 Inch Thick, 4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper:
https://www.amazon.com/Density-Elastic-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B003U4PU5S/ref=sr_1_3?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1417722980&sr=1-3&keywords=4+pound+memory+foam#Ask

Aerus Natural 2" Memory Foam Topper, 3#:

Aerus Natural 3" Memory Foam Topper, 4#:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Aerus-Natural-Memory-Foam-Topper-w-300TC-Sateen-Cover/11030693

Knowing what is currently working for me as far as relieving the shoulder and hip pressure of being a side sleeper & being supportive enough that the hips don’t sink down out of alignment, can you please share your thoughts, wisdom and experience with me on these or others that might suit me?

Thank you!!
Ellen

Hi eml,

You can read about how memory foam vs latex compare in post #2 here.

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns,variables, and personal preferences involved to be able to predict which topper will work best for you in terms of PPP on any specific mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The mattress under a topper can also have a significant effect on how a topper feels and performs because every layer or component in a sleeping system will have some effect on every other layer or component. In the end though slow response and temperature sensitive materials like memory foam are very different from more resilient and faster response materials so the only way to know with any certainty how well a topper will work for you on a specific mattress will be based on your own personal experience.

If you are happy with a latex topper then it would make sense to me to stick with a material that you already know works well for you but of course the type of material you choose is always a personal preference. If you do decide to choose latex and your parent’s mattress is firmer than your mattress then it may be worth considering a topper that is a little softer or thicker than the one you are currently using and if it’s a little softer then you may consider a topper that is a little thinner. If you decide that you would prefer memory foam then a 3 lb memory foam topper will be less durable and will also be less costly but it will also tend to feel softer and have less of the memory effect and in general won’t have the same level of performance and will be less “supportive” than a higher density topper and you will “go through it” more easily and feel more of the firmness of the mattress you are using below the topper.

Post #2 here and the additional topper guidelines it links to has more information about choosing a topper that can help you use your actual experience on a mattress as a guideline and reference point for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness that would have the best chance of success and links to some good sources for each of them as well but the first step is deciding on the type of material that you tend to prefer.

When you can’t test a mattress/topper combination in person … the three most important parts of choosing a topper are …

1. Using the topper guidelines and your own preferences between different materials that you are familiar with to give you a reference point for the type, thickness, and firmness that has the best chance of success.

2. Talking to the suppliers you are considering (assuming that they are knowledgeable about their products) so they can describe the toppers they are selling to give you a sense of how they compare to others that they sell or that you are familiar with or that are available in the market.

3. Making sure you are comfortable with the return or exchange policies and the costs involved so that you have some “insurance” to offset the uncertainty and risk involved in choosing a topper that you haven’t tried in person just in case you make a choice that doesn’t work as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Hi I just saw your post and wanted ask you a question. I have just bought a brand new Beautyrest World Class Quinlan about a week ago and so far I love it. But I see you are returning yours after 5 years and I would like to know the nature of the problem you have? So I know what to look out for. Thanks and good luck with your new mattress.

Hi Jimhjr3,

I’m not eml of course and hopefully they will see your post and reply but they returned their mattress under a warranty replacement which means that their mattress would have had visible impressions that were measured as 1.5" or deeper.

This is fairly common for major brand mattresses because of the lower quality/density foams they usually use in their comfort layers. Lower quality/density materials will soften and break down more quickly than the higher quality/density materials that are used by many other manufacturers although in many cases the the visible impressions aren’t deep enough to qualify for a warranty exchange even though foam softening (virtual impressions) can result in the loss or comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress. In these cases (which are very common) there would be no warranty coverage even though the mattress may need to be replaced. eml was fortunate that the impressions in their mattress were deep enough to quality for a warranty exchange. Mattress warranties only cover defects not the loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening so they have very little to do with the durability and useful life of a mattress. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

Phoenix

Thanks! Wish I would have found this site 2 weeks ago. Fingers crossed that mine holds up.

I’m sorry I am just now seeing your post. My mattress developed a “sink hole” in the center. This cause hip pain from misalignment.

Update: Having slept on the Serta iComfort Insight with a 2.5" talalay latex topper for 3 years, I could suddenly tell that my mattress has softened and it was time to remove the latex topper. Things felt a little firm and very hot, so I purchased a wool mattress pad. It is working out well.

I now need to purchase two beds for a second home.
I know Serta doesn’t give much information on their mattress specifications for comparison.
But, if any of these would be similar in support and comfort, I would love your opinion.

I am interested in a Big Box memory foam mattress. I realize that it may not last as long as a more expensive/durable model but cost is key here.

I’ve been looking online at the Spa Sensation 10" and 12", & the Night Therapy 10’ or they have 12" and 13" with gel foam. I believe both are Certi-Pur, but I know I will need time for them to air out before I can sleep on them. Any strengths or weakness that you are aware of would be very helpful.

Also, for comparisons sake, are the Aerus and Sensus worth considering? They cost three times more!

Thank you!

HI eml,

Welcome back! I’m glad your new mattress has softened up and you’ve found a workaround to the heat issue with the wool topper.

While you don’t list specifics for the foam layers of the models you’re considering, in general I would be very cautious because Spa Sensations typically uses lower quality/density materials in their comfort layers (such as 3 lb memory foam) which would be a weak link in their mattresses. A forum search on Spa Sensations will bring up more information about them but in general I would avoid them along with the other Zinus brands as well.

Night Therapy is also a Zinus brand which is a Chinese manufacturer that makes a wide range of brands including Enso, Vivon, Spirit Sleep, Night Therapy, Keetsa and many others (see post #2 here ). They tend to use lower quality/density and less durable materials in their mattresses than I would normally consider. A forum search on Zinus (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information about them as well. They are all manufactured in China and shipped compressed to North America so I would also read post #6 here for more about Chinese imports and some of the additional uncertainty and risk that can be involved in purchasing them.

Again I don’t know if you are speaking to the foam or a finished product. These are higher quality memory foams, and I do have information from a previous post about two finished memory foam mattresses using these foams, just in case these were what you were considering:

Sensus 10" from sleepwarehouse:
This mattress uses 5 lb memory foam on top of 3 layers of 1.8 lb polyfoam so there are also no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of this mattress relative to a weight/BMI range under 30 or so. The 3 polyfoam support layers can also be rearranged after a purchase to customize the firmness of the support layers after a purchase if you need to (which would also have some effect on how firm the mattress feels as well). If you wish to return a mattress, then their trial period is quite shore at less than 30 days because any returns must be received by them within 30 days after the mattress was delivered to you and you would also be responsible for any return shipping costs in returning the mattress.

Aerus, also by sleepwarehouse:
This mattress also meets the minimum durability guidelines I would suggest for your weight/BMI range (assuming that your BMI is under 30) so there are also no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of this mattress relative to your weight/BMI range either although it uses 4 lb Aerus memory foam instead of the 5 lb Sensus memory foam so “in theory” it would likely be less durable than the Sensus version and it would be the least durable of the three. Other than that my comments would be the same as the Sensus version.

If you’re looking at a foam mattress on a lower budget, post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options I’m aware of and are of a higher quality than the first two items you mentioned.

Phoenix