My DIY bed is almost complete!

Hi Phoenix, :cheer: :cheer:

I purchased 2 toppers from Sleep on Latex. Both are the 44ILD 5.9 cubic lbs. ( i am very heavy) So far, I LOVE them, but now need to buy more. I am layering toppers. (If this doesn’t work, my family can use them)

Here are my questions; Are you ready? (please know you are so appreciated) :slight_smile:

Q1. For a person over 250, would you recommend another layer of the same cubic lbs, or can I go ahead and focus on the comfort layer?

Q2. Should I remove each of the toppers covers, & buy a component ticking case that can hold all of them together? I have read your thread about individual toppers, but couldn’t find it.

Q3. What is is good choice for helping with heat/ night sweats that is breathable? Would a wool puddle pad be sufficient, or do I have to encase everything together? (Presently, I have 2 sheets covering my toppers, that is all.

Q4. Now I really want an adjustable bed! I noticed the Leggett and Platt web site says the weight capacity are all 850. Many other mattress co web sites say 750. Are these beds generational? Like iPhones?

Q%. Is in “wrong” to buy Dunlop form different companiesmanufactures of Dunlop. I think my sense of adventure has really become a fun hobby. lol
Hugs and much appreciation!!

Hi sleepytime1,

Congratulations on your new toppers! :cheer: You certainly chose a durable and high quality material.

What size bed are you making? What thickness of topper did you purchase?

I don’t know what thickness you chose for your toppers, but for someone of a higher BMI it would not be unusual to have two 3" “firmer” layers for the support “core” of the mattress, and then move on to different layerings that would be more reflective in the comfort of the product on top of those.

Once you’ve come upon a final configuration, you may desire to use a complete mattress encasement to hold all of the layers of foam in place, at which time you may choose to remove any optional topper covers that you might have purchased, allowing the “grippy” nature of the latex to help hold the layers in place as well.

If you go with a complete encasement of the entire finished product, natural fibers are popular for the encasement, and wool certainly has some temperature and humidity “controlling” benefits. There is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful. There’s more about mattress protectors in post #89 here and this post here that might be of interest to you.

Hah – they’re almost getting as bad as iPhones in their updates. :lol: Various adjustable bed manufacturers will rate their bases differently. Some will rate by overall lift capacity, some will rate the Newtons of the motor, others will rate the maximum amount of weight to be placed upon the base. And these numbers can vary from model to model within a company’s line-up, and from year to year with design changes or motor changes. The most important thing to do is to find a clear explanation from a reliable manufacturer or retailer as to the capacity of any particular model you’re considering.

No, there is no reason that you couldn’t mix Dunlop from different suppliers. The only time you might want to stay with the same supplier would be if you were trying to ‘match" the feel of a particular layer as closely as possible with another piece, and by staying with the same company you could then request the same foam, which should have the same blend, ingredients and manufacturing process to give you your best chance at “duplication”.

Good luck in your progress!

Phoenix

WHEW!! Thank you Phoenix for all your help, and I “get” what you told me!

My apologies to you, as I forgot to mention, I am “making” a full size bed.

The toppers I bought are 2 - 3’" 44 ILD from SOLatex. (I would have rather had a 6" core, but could not find one this firm. (I should have asked you first!) Anyways…

After reading your words, I feel more confident to “move on”. I needed to hear and read your words before moving on…

Tomorrow I will now order a Med 3" topper from Sleep On Latex now, and also buy the explandable cover to fit everything inside.

Eventually, I will work on buying a comfort layer…next month!

What I left out in my prior note, is I am also using 2 - 3" poly/cotton mixed toppers that I have gathered from around the house and placed them on top. (They are only TEMPORARY though) Family members want them back! Plus, they aren’t that comfy. : )

Last but not least, I bought the Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2 today!!

After this is all said and done, I might do this again, and do a Queen size! I must say, the La Noodle Topper is also on my “bed makers hobby” list. hehe

Thank you again Phoenix!!!

Hi sleepytime1,

Thanks for your reply. I’m glad what I offered up “made sense”. :wink:

No apologies necessary, and thanks for that data. There really isn’t much practical difference between using the 6" core versus two 3" pieces. You are able to have a bit more flexibility for customization with the two 3" layers, so that can be a benefit in a system like you’re creating.

Make sure you choose the proper covering for the final thickness of the mattress that you’ll be creating.

I’m sure they’re helping to keep things comfortable for you now, but your ongoing replacement of these layers with higher-quality latex should provide an improvement in comfort, and of course in durability. And it will keep peace in the family by allowing you to return their toppers to them. :lol:

Congratulations on the adjustable bed bases! They should serve you well.

I personally enjoy my LaNoodle topper, and creating your own could be a fun experiment.

You’re welcome, and I’ll look forward to future updates on your project.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix once again for all your help. I will definitely donate to your web site as it has changed my life for the best! It’s wonderful to know my choice for toppers vs core…YAY!! I was thinking along those lines!

I ordered a 12" cover to place all my latex pieces in from the same co. Eventually the mattress will be 12"

Right now, I am deciding what to place over my “covered mattress.” (Assuming I want to protect the 12" cover over the latex?) I sleep VERY hot. I keep thinking I don’t want a bunch of perspiration going into the latex. (You can probably tell I don’t know what I am doing. haha

I am looking at Cozy Pure as I LOVE the La Noodle pillow. (FYI, what’s funny, is i did not like in the beginning, and thankfully decided to “work with it.” Most definitely I now want the topper!

I will keep you posted! :cheer:

Hi sleepytime1

I appreciate you considering doing that!

OK, glad you’re thinking ahead. Sounds good.

Post #89 here and this thread here have quite a bit of information about different mattress protectors, including ones made with more natural materials.

I’m glad you took the time to “work with it”. It takes a bit of time to adjust to any new part of your sleep system.

Phoenix