My latex mattress is making me sick. Where do I go from here?

Hi np741,

They (and their sister company Quality Sleep) are members of the site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service. There are several versions of the Pure Echo mattress including a one and two sided and a version that also includes Talalay latex. They would be well worth talking to.

I think the post you mean is post #4 here. They are mostly not organic mattresses (although many of them use organic wool or cotton) but but they do all use good quality materials and components.

I would compare them based on how good a match any specific mattress is for you in terms of PPP relative to the price of each and based on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you. None of them would have any obvious weak links but innerspring /natural fiber mattresses tend to be firmer than mattresses that use foam and when the fibers pack down over time they will tend to become firmer yet (vs foam mattresses which usually become softer over time). When you are looking at this type of mattress it would be very difficult to compare them in terms of “commodity value” because you wouldn’t be able to find out the raw material cost of the different types and amounts of natural fibers, the species of wool used, the thickness or denier of the fabric, the amount of wool in each mattress, and the construction methods used (such as tufting) and labor involved in the construction of each mattress, all of which would be a significant factor in the price of each. Even if you had access to the raw material costs … these types of mattresses are much more labor intensive to make and require more specialized skills that are also reflected in the cost and the most important part of your purchase would still be how suitable it is for your specific needs and preferences and whether any difference in prices was a good reflection of a noticeable difference in PPP. The only part of this type of mattress that you can really compare in terms of the cost or quality of the components inside it would be the innersprings but even here the most meaningful way to compare innersprings is based on the weight of the steel inside it which won’t be a spec that is available to you so once again the most effective way to compare them would be based on your testing results and PPP relative to the cost of each mattress.

Firmness and softness is relative to each person and a mattress that is too firm for one person may be too soft for the next. Again … your own personal testing or experience is the only way to know whether it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP. They are very high quality mattresses but they are also in a much more premium price range than other mattresses that use the same materials so I would make some very careful value comparisons if you are considering one of these to make sure that your experience on the mattress justifies the higher cost relative to other mattresses that use the same materials. They are also one of the few manufacturers in the country whose manufacturing facility is organic and make some mattresses with the highest level of organic certification (rather than just using organic materials) so this may also be important to some people even though it doesn’t affect the actual quality of the materials. You can read more about this in post #2 here and in post #2 here.

Phoenix