My Mattress Shortlist Analysis: Price vs Durability

@Phoenix - More than anything I wanted to make sure I was thinking about the options correctly, so thanks for all of the great information. That being said, sorry if I put you on the spot for something you don’t normally do =) I am leaning towards a 2" of 22ILD, but I want to wait at least 1 week before ordering because every night so far my wife and I have felt a little more comfortable on it. And after all, our PPP is what really counts.

@01svtL - Thanks for your recent experience. I would love to hear your update on how the 2" comfort layer feels. My mind was set on a 3"x3 or 3"x4, but now I am really leaning towards a 3+3+2. Like you I am wanting that cushion to soften the shoulder area, but i don’t want my hips to sag to far either.

Hi rsvoir,

You didn’t put me “on the spot” at all :).

I wanted to make an exception because you had some good reference points and experience based on how you felt on the layers you already have and it gave me a chance to outline some of the thinking process and tradeoffs behind different layering choices and some of the factors that need to be considered which may help others in their choices as well.

With thinner layers of softer latex (2" vs 3") … more of the feel and firmness of the deeper layers can “come through” and since your bottom two layers are firmer than average (36 over 44) … the transition between them (from soft to firm) may be a little more noticeable. Sometimes it can be counter intuitive when softer top layers in some cases can lead to a mattress that “feels” firmer because you will “go through” them more into the firmer layers below.

I’m glad you’re taking your time as well because it can be quite surprising to many people how what you feel can change in the adjustment period over the first few weeks.

Phoenix

rsvoir - 2 nights in with the 19ILD topper. I’m happy to report that, at a minimum, my lower back pain has greatly diminished, nearly gone. I think it may be on the edge of too soft, though. My advice would be to go with a 24ILD topper from Brooklyn Bedding and swap it out for the 19 if it is still too firm. I say that because I don’t know how your support layers will affect it compared to mine. I don’t think it will be too firm for you guys though.

Just a brief update. We now have the following setup (everything is Eastern king, split into two twin xls).

Reverie Deluxe Adjustable Base ($1700 from Olejo)

Bottom Latex - 3" of 44ILD Blended Talalay ($404 from BrooklynBedding w/ king pillow)
Middle Latex - 3" of 36ILD Blended Talalay ($404 from BrooklynBedding w/ king pillow)
Top Latex - 2" of 22ILD Blended Talalay ($270 from Mattresses.net)

We’ve slept on this arrangement for a week and absolutely love it so far. The 2" of 22ILD seems to afford just the right amount of pressure relief without being too soft. Also I feel that it being 2" vs 3" allows just the right amount of support layer firmness to come through. Couldn’t be happier.

We are also enjoying the ability to configure our adjustable beds independently. The crack between the twins has not been a problem so the final step is to order a non quilted mattress cover. I’ve been very busy so not sure when I’ll get that order in, but hopefully soon.

Thanks again everyone for the help and recommendations! Also I might add that all of the products have been very high quality and customer service from all of the vendors has been great as they helped me put my custom orders in (with Olejo I used their offer tool to get a 10% discount. With brooklyn bedding I got everything delivered as raw splits and they threw in the pillows for being a MU member. With mattresses.net I also got everything delivered as raw splits and they took 5% off for being a MU member).

Hi rsrvoir,

Way to go … I"m happy that your combination is working out so well for you!

You certainly took a thoughtful step by step “bottom up” approach and there’s only one more step (the cover) and you’re done.

Congratulations on your new sleeping system … maybe you have a future in mattress design :slight_smile:

Phoenix