My new Blended Latex Mattress emitting a strong rubber smell. Is this normal?

Hi,

I just bought a blended latex mattress and it was recently delivered. After the bed was setup, I left the room and returned about 30 minutes later and my entire master bedroom smelled like rubber. I opened the bedroom windows to air out the room for about 2 hours and when I came back in the smell was gone and I closed the windows. I slept all night, and I woke up again to a room that smells strongly of rubber.

Does anyone know how long it will off-gas this smell this strongly? Any tips on how to get the smell to go away faster? Unzip the mattress? Have the sheets off? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldnā€™t be a happy camper right now, if I were you. I would unzip cover, remove all bedding, etc. Open windows.

I bought an all natural Dunlop latex mattress a couple of months ago, and the only smell was a rather vague smell for a day or two that some have said reminds them of vanilla - nothing that would have prompted me to make a post such as yours. I might go so far as to call whoever sold you the mattress and ask if this degree of smell coming from the mattress was within the range of what they would call ā€œnormalā€, even though I know thatā€™s a very subjective word at times.

Within 48 hours, I could smell nothing at all from my mattress, even if I put my nose right up to bare latex, and Iā€™m very sensitive to smells; for that matter, Iā€™m just too sensitive to almost everything, with a severe ā€œprincess and the peaā€ syndrome.

Thanks for your response, Clawdia. I am also very sensitive to smells and I became quickly frustrated when I walked into my bedroom and noticed how powerful the rubber smell is. This morning I am having nasal irritation, but I donā€™t know if that is from the rubber smell I was breathing all night, or if I am beginning to get sick. (My wife and everyone around me at work has been sick).

I wanted to see if other people had similar experiences and whether or not this is normal. With your sharing your experience, this is beginning to seem abnormal. When I get home tonight, I am going to unzip the mattress and open the windows and let it air out some more for a few hours. By the end of the week, I am hoping the smell will be gone, if not I will have to return it.

It is my understanding and limited experience that properly processed Latex foam rubber, blended or not so blended ā€˜naturalā€™, does not smell much at allā€¦ faintly sweet or rubbery just at first or when you move the layers around.

Who sold the mattress and who made the Latex in it?

zzz

Hi Azca33,

Dunlop usually has a stronger ā€œrubberā€ smell that usually lasts longer than the sweeter small of Talalay but both will dissipate to levels below most peopleā€™s ability to detect within a matter of days to a few weeks.

There is more about the typical smell of latex in post #2 here and some suggestions to help dissipate the odor of a new mattress in post #3 here.

Phoenix

The pillows I bought had a stronger odor than my mattress did. The mattress had no real noticeable smell. It took the pillows around three days for the smell to totally go away.

I just received my new Dunlop latex bed and am troubled by the smell as well. So hoping that it will go away but I would be open to suggestions as well. I have left the window open and have been airing everything. I am new here so I am hoping I did this right and posted in the right spot.
:dry:

Hi franjipani,

This topic is fine and you can see my comments about the smell if you scroll back to reply #5 in the topic.

Like any natural product some batches seem to have a stronger smell than others but the smell isnā€™t harmful and should dissipate over the course of a few days to a few weeks.

Phoenix