My New Kiss Mattress

For informational purposes, I will let you know that I weigh 182 lbs and primarily sleep on my side but sometimes on my back. My wife weighs about 140 lbs and is primarily a stomach/side sleeper. Over the mattress we use a slightly padded mattress protector and cotton sheets. We slept on the Kiss mattress for the first time last night and I decided to give my first impressions. I will update this post several times over the next 30 days so keep tuned… My Leesa mattress had not been picked up yet so I was able to compare them side by side. Really loved the Leesa but got rid of it due to concerns about durability. First impression of the Kiss is that it was a bit firmer and a bit bouncier that the Leesa. It still felt reasonably comfortable and I am aware that the Leesa was already “broken in” and the Kiss was not. Laying on my back on each mattress for about 10 minutes, I noticed that the Kiss seemed to hold the heat under me and the Leesa stayed cool. This surprised me as I had always heard that Latex sleeps cool. I’m guessing that when people said it sleeps cooler, they meant that it sleeps cooler than memory foam. Last night was my first night on the Kiss. Although we keep the room cool at night, I woke up once feeling quite warm. Not to the point of sweating, but I had to throw off the covers for a while. I found out in the morning that the same thing happened to my wife who is usually a sound sleeper. Sleeping hot is a big concern of mine and the warm days of summer are not yet here. At this point I will reserve my over all opinion of the Kiss mattress until I’ve slept on it for about a month or so in order to give it a fair chance. I am just concerned that there will be no way the sleeping warm will resolve itself.

Hi pdunc,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback.

You’re right that latex is a very breathable material and sleeping temperature issues with a latex top layer is somewhat unusual.

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

It’s also possible that your mattress pad could be contributing to any temperature issues as well.

Phoenix

Thought I would update you on the Kiss mattress I bought. After just over a week of use, I’ve decided to return it. I know that sleeping on it for only a week is a very short time to really evaluate it, but with waking up with a sore back every morning, I’ve decided to try something else. My wife and I prefer a soft cushy initial feel with that “ahhh” feeling. I have ordered a BME king in the soft which is what Mario recommended to me based on the info I gave him. Although I am somewhat concerned that the soft may be to soft based on many of the reviews I have read on this forum, I decided that Mario’s recommendation out weighs the reviews based on others perceptions of firmness. Mario was somewhat familiar with the Kiss mattress and told me that the BME medium is a little firmer than the Kiss, and their soft was a little “cushier” due to the quilted cover layer and was slightly softer than the Kiss… This sounded just about right for me. Of course the only way to judge if this firmness will work for me is to sleep on it for a month or so. If it proves to be to soft, I know that it will be easy to try their next level of firmness. Will keep you updated.

Hi pdunc,

I’m sorry to hear that your KISS mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but the good news is that like the Leesa it has a great trial period and return policy so you have the chance to try it out in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about your BME mattress and hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Phoenix

Just an update. For the first time ever, my wife who can sleep just about anywhere and on anything, had to leave the Kiss mattress last night and go sleep on a spring mattress in our guest room. My aches and pains continue, so we are anxiously awaiting our BME to try it out. While the Kiss mattress may work well for some, it has not worked out well for us. One thing I would caution people about is the Kiss return policy. I sent an email to customer service stating that I would like to begin the return/refund process. Two days later I received a call from Kiss. Although their faq states "if you decide that the Kiss Mattress is not for you, then just let us know and we will set up a time for a local charity to come pick it up. It’s that easy. Once your mattress is donated, send us a scanned or photographed copy of your donation receipt via email and we’ll process your refund in full. We’re experts at finding donation locations. If you’re unsure of where to donate or need help, just let us know by phone, or email [email protected]; we’d be happy to help! After initially reading this, I assumed that they would contact a charity and arrange pick up. During the call from Kiss, the rep stated that what they would do is provide a list of acceptable places to donate and that I should contact one of the charities and ask them to come and pick up the mattress. The list consisted of the standard organizations of Salvation Army, Goodwill, and “any homeless shelter”. I live in a very rural area and have found it hard to find anyone to come out and pick up the mattress. After several calls, I think I may have found an agency that will come and get it. Still waiting to hear back from them though. This return experience has been by far more of a hassle than my experience was with Leesa, who very quickly made all the arrangements to pick up their mattress. If worse comes to worse, I will just have to load the mattress onto my small utility trailer and bring the mattress to the Salvation Army who will take it, but won’t pick it up. A bit of a hassle for a 63 year old man with back and knee problems considering the weight of the mattress. I will update you soon on the outcome of this situation.

Hi pdunc,

Thanks for the update.

There are a growing number of companies that have a similar policy and allow donations of their mattress to a local charity of your choice instead of returning it. It helps to keep the mattress out of a landfill (which is a growing issue in the country), helps a local charity of your choice in need, and also reduces the cost of return shipping which in turn can reduce the cost of the mattress itself (the costs to ship and return a certain percentage of mattresses are built in to the cost of the mattress).

While this does add some customer involvement and can be more of a challenge in some areas of the country where there aren’t any local charities that will either accept or pick up a mattress … the overall benefits are generally well worth it and if it’s not possible to donate or deliver the mattress then if you call them they would provide an alternative.

Phoenix

Finally got a charity to pick up the Kiss mattress. My wife is happy about that as she did not plan on sleeping on it another night. This mattress may be fine for others, but sure wasn’t right for us. Our Brooklyn BME will arrive in a couple of days and we are in hopes that it will be the right mattress for us.

Hi pdunc,

Thanks for the update … and I’m glad to hear that you found a local charity that could pick up your mattress.

I hope the BME works out to be a more suitable choice for you than the other mattresses you’ve tried and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Hey pdunc, how has the experience been so far on the BME?

Hi Rkrakows,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

They would also only have had the chance to sleep on their mattress for a few days at best and they wouldn’t have even gone through the initial break in and adjustment period yet so a few days isn’t long enough to really form any meaningful opinions about a mattress.

A forum search on Bestmattressever or a specific term site search on Best Mattress Ever (you can just click the links) will also bring up many hundreds more comments and feedback about it as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix is right. It’s only been 4 nights so any review at this point wouldn’t make sense. At this point, I can tell you that my wife and I have so far enjoyed the feel of the mattress and have slept comfortably. The initial “cushieness” of the mattress is what we were looking for, and although it is the soft version of the mattress, we seem to have ample support. So far we like it, but I will give another update after about a month of use. As Phoenix has said though, feelings about a mattress are very subjective. I have also been trying out the BestPillowEver, the queen plush. A very nice pillow, but I may buy a LaNoodle pillow to see if I can get more support for my neck. If anyone has any comments on either the LaNoodle Contour pillow or the Pure performance LaNoodle pillow, I would appreciate hearing it.