My Organic Sleep Company

Hello! I have learned SO much from your site and I have told all my friends about it. I recently made several purchases based on what I learned from you. In my research I came across a company called "My Organic SLeep" and based on the questions I learned to ask on the Mattress Undergound, they seem to have the best solutions for a few products I want to buy - Shredded Dunlop Latex Pillows and a Waterproof Bed Liner. Ian who I spoke to on the phone seems very knowledgeable and helpful and answered all of my questions. Can you please tell me if anyone has dealt with them before and if they seem to be a reputable choice in the non-toxic healthy bedding product line? Thank you!!!

Hi NeedYourHelp,

You can see some of my comments about them in post #8 here and a forum search on myorganicsleep and organictextiles (you can just click the links) will bring up a few more comments about them as well.

Phoenix

Thanks very much, Phoenix! I read your posts about My Organic Sleep company. I am just a neophyte in this whole organic bedding topic but in the last two weeks I have done a lot of reading on your site and others. I spoke to Ian (possibly the owner?) of My Organic Sleep several times in the last few days. He seems very credible and he told me that his dunlop latex comes from sri lanka and is GOTS certfied - but he would not disclose the manufacturer. He was very willing to answer all my questions (I am buying a topper and pillows but I wish I knew more in order to evaluate his answers.) At any rate, I talked to him about the Undergound Mattress (of which he was unaware) and he was very interested in checking it out. I suggessted he look into becoming a member. He said " The task of getting more people to sleep healthy can’t be a one company job - it takes the community". Are there any other questions I should ask to verify that he is selling certified, good quality latex? Thank you!

Hi NeedYourHelp,

I’m certainly happy to talk with him of course (and I have talked with them in the past) … but they don’t sell mattresses that I’m aware of so they wouldn’t qualify for membership. Membership in the site is by invitation and is generally the end result of ongoing conversations and a more “organic” process that leads to me getting to know them better and them getting to know the goals and ideals of the site better as well.

If the latex is certified organic then it would be GOLS certified not GOTS certified. There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here and the posts it links to. There are two manufacturers that make organic Dunlop in Sri Lanka which are Latex Green and Arpico and both of them make high quality Dunlop latex. Both manufacturers also sell non organic 100% natural Dunlop as well and a consumer wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between them (the feel and performance of both is the same in the same firmness and density level) so if you are paying a premium for certified organic Dunlop then you would need to trust that the supplier is sending you certified organic latex. As I mentioned in the link in my earlier reply, I don’t think their density/ILD numbers for their non organic Dunlop are accurate and you can see an example of more typical 100% natural Dunlop density and ILD comparisons here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I did mean GOLS - typo. I understand your process for membership and it makes sense. CanI ask two more quick questions -
1)Would a non-organic 100% Dunlop product still be safe to sleep on?

1. Have you ever heard of a new waterproof fabric method for mattress protectors and pads recently coming out of Germany that uses an inert solution coating on the cotton (vs. a thin film membrane behind the cotton)? I have no name available but I’ve heard about it from a few retailers and they say it is safer than all other current waterproof materials - no off-gasing, PVC’s, etc. My Organic Sleep says it is " Free from vinyl, polyurethane, polyethylene, bis-phenol or similar chemicals which are commonly used in waterproof pads." I am a little suspicious though because of the lack of a more specific description of the material.

Hi NeedYourHelp,

Yes … all the latex you will encounter (whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay or uses natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of the two) will have been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s by either Oeko-Tex standard 100 or Eco-Institut so any latex would be safe outside of unusual types of sensitivities or health conditions.

I don’t know the specific product that you mean but there is some very interesting research being done into the unique properties of nanomaterials such as this (SiO2) which can be used on anything including fabrics.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Yes - that si02 seems exactly what Ian from My Organic Sleep described. He is selling a crib liner using it right now. Thanks for all your help.

Hi NeedYourHelp,

I subscribe to several newsletters that talk about some of the new technologies that are emerging in many fields and some of the products that are being made from them (although unfortunately I don’t have enough time to read many of them in as much detail as I would like) and the materials and products that are being developed not only in textiles but in many other fields as well are amazing to me.

Phoenix

I would recommend a wool mattress cover. We love ours. Wool is naturally water repellent and rarely needs to be washed (the natural lanolin airs out to fresh). if soiled, please be sure to use a good wool wash (Euclan).