My search for a new mattress

Thank you for this website. I have gained a lot of useful information here over the past few months.

I will be replacing a Tempurpedic (circa 2001) that I should have gotten rid of a few years ago. Over the past several months the foam seems to have really broken down, to the point where I now routinely experience hip pain (I am a side sleeper).

What I have read here only reinforced my decision to avoid shopping the big name brands carried by my local mega-mattress outlets. I had figured I would probably know more about the products being shown to me than the typical salesperson one encounters in such places.

This website piqued my curiosity to try out a latex mattress. I live in a metropolitan area inhabited by a few hundred thousand people, but no nearby business carries full latex mattresses. From a review of your recommended dealers, I decided to visit the Oklahoma Mattress Company.

The person I spoke with answered my questions in a no BS manner and was very knowledgable about the products they sell. While there, I tried out three latex mattresses (firm, medium, and soft) they had on display.

I will likely go back within a week or two and place an order. I need to buy from a a business that can deliver and set up a new mattress and haul the old one off, as I am well into middle age and have a couple of bad discs and some arthritic degeneration in my spine. That eliminates a fair number of internet dealers. I also like the thought of supporting a (somewhat) local business.

Again, thank you for the information contained in this website. The purchase of any new mattress is a bit of a crap shoot, but I have no doubt that my time here has been well spent.

Hi Trevor-h,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

As you know I think very highly of Jim at Oklahoma Mattress Company and they are one of the members here which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They certainly make some great quality/value mattresses.

I’m not sure exactly where you live and you’ve probably seen this already but just in case you haven’t some of the other options and possibilities in and around Oklahoma City (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here but you certainly can’t go far wrong if you are dealing with Oklahoma Mattress.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix