My Visit to Spindle Mattress

I finally got a chance to visit Spindle yesterday. First let me say that Neal is a great guy. He is extremely knowledgable, patient and honest. He answered every question I had and was willing to get as technical as I could handle.

In the last 3 weeks I have been to about eight mattress stores and Spindle is the best based on product and customer service (Neal).

The setup they have at Spindle is really cool. Their main mattress, The Abscond, uses three 3" layers of latex.

I’m going to borrow Skyjumper’s description:

I think it’s really cool the way you can pick and choose the layers to make your own (most comfortable) mattress. This type of solution provides a great range of feels to accommodate nearly everyone. Of course there are some combinations that are just not practical such as soft, soft, soft and a few other obvious ones.

My wife and I are looking for a very plush feel. We are both smaller people and after trying several configurations, the two that we liked the most were (in order top to bottom):

medium, firm, firm (synthetic)
soft, medium, firm (natural)

To be honest, I don’t know which one I prefer. I wish the natural one was my clear favorite because I’d like to go with a natural solution, but it is very difficult to decide.

I do agree with Skyjumper that sitting on the edge does cause the mattress to squish down, but that is not a concern for me. And sitting in bed reading you do sink it a bit, but also something else I am not very concerned with. My primary concern is sleeping comfort. How does it feel when I lie flat on my back or on my side. And both were very comfortable.

When we tried putting the topper on, it will ridiculously comfortable. I loved it. It was like lying in a cloud. My wife did not. It was just too much for her. Nearly difficult to get up from. She was willing to go the topper route if we chose a firm, firm, firm configuration, but I tried it and wasn’t a fan.

Also, I kinda feel like a topper is a band aid and in this case all it really added for us was height. I’m buying a brand new mattress, if I need to put a topper on it, then likely it’s not the right mattress. Perhaps that is the wrong way to look at it. I’d also like my entire mattress encased in the quilt.

I really like both setups. One thing I kinda wish was available was a plusher quilt or the ability to give a little more comforting plushness to the top without using a topper. I’m wondering if it is possible to get a quilt with more cotton/wool in it to give it a little more plushness.

We left there pretty happy with our visit and are contemplating our options.

Thoughts on the synthetic vs natural latex offered by Spindle?

They also offer an organic quilt with wool. They didn’t have one to try (or at least I didn’t ask), but I am considering that option as well.

Overall I rate my experience at Spindle an A and am really grateful to this forum for pointing out that there was a great mattress place right under my nose.

Thanks.

Hi thecountofzero,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback in such great detail … I appreciate it :).

Mountaintop’s testing appears to indicate that there is little difference between them in terms of durability (normally 100% natural Dunlop is more durable than a blend or synthetic) so I’m keeping an open mind about this even though my “instincts” say that the 100% natural will likely have an edge. Time will tell. It is also a denser and more resilient material (you can tell some of the differences from the synthetic needing two firm bottom layers and Skyjumper’s comments here about how using the 100% natural made a difference in the underlying support) but they are both good quality materials relative to other types of foam.

If cost wasn’t a factor and I could comfortably afford it I would personally choose the 100% natural but of course each person may have a different personal value equation and cost may play a more significant role for some people than for others but if your testing doesn’t indicate a significant difference between them then any added benefits of the 100% natural may not be as important or worthwhile for you.

Phoenix