Myergobed or Silouhette Marsais??

Hi Phoenix,

So I got my mattress and am shocked that its so firm, I didn’t think it’s so firm - my question is now, what I can do to soften it up, I was considering flexible foundation or soft latex topper, or worst case sell the bed, it’s completely covered with protector and pad and I also put my memory foam on it, and still I feel too firm.

What’s the least expensive way to cushion it up I guess is my question

thanks

Hi tgrafix,

I’m not surprised that using 32 ILD for all three layers would be on the firm side for many people (particularly if they are side sleepers in average weight ranges).

The most effective way to make the mattress softer and add additional pressure relief would normally be by adding a topper. There are some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to that you can use as a reference point to help you choose a topper that has the highest chance of success.

Phoenix

Thanks wish I sprung the extra money for the 24 ILD top instead, in any case, I wanted to get your opinion on PLB topper 3 inch, I got one on loan from store listed in your LA post , and actually love it over the memory foam (also 3 inch) and a wool on top of the latex just for the quilt feel but I really like it. I have not tried to sleep yet but my first night on this new mattress I didn’t sleep well cuz I thought was too firm.

The PLB toppers are $499 new for 3 inch is there something you can point me too that will create same feel or I also can purchase the loaner I got at a discount, but it’s used.

I’ve had a rough day and night and maybe losing my mind but my mattress set up is now 26 inches tall but feels so much better.

Hi tgrafix,

The PLB toppers are generally either Talalay latex or Talalay GL fast response which are both good quality materials. They are both blended Talalay latex but the Talalay GL also has phase change gel in the material to help with temperature control a little (although Talalay latex is already among the most breathable of the different types of foam).

They are also very soft however which in a 3" layer can sometimes present some risk for alignment so I would make sure that you don’t go from one end of the scale to the other (comfort layers that are too firm to comfort layers that are too soft).

The ILD of a latex topper is the firmness rating and the topper you have would be in the range of about 14 - 15 ILD (which is the softest they make). Higher numbers would be firmer. The topper guidelines have some ILD and thickness suggestions and it also includes a link to some of the better latex sources I’m aware of where you can probably purchase a blended Talalay latex topper at a lower cost.

Phoenix

HI Phoenix,

I have been sleeping on my combo for two nights, it’s not that soft seeing that I have a wool type topper on top of the latex which I will remove tonight, but thing is I really like the PLB covers and since I don’t have anything else to compare I may just go ahead and purchase - giving it few more days to decide, but if you know where I can obtain the PLB cover maybe I can order a raw latex piece, and try ILD of 19, I want to stay in the soft range because I wanted softer bed but supportive.

Hi tgrafix,

There are other similar stretch knit covers available that would allow you to try different ILD’s of latex inside them but I don’t believe that PLB sells their topper cover separately.

Phoenix