MyGreenMattress Evergreen

So I’m pretty sure we’ve settled now on getting the Evergreen from Tim at MyGreenMattress / Quality Sleep Shop, now we’re deciding between the old design and the new design. They are essentially the same construction, just different thicknesses of each layer.

Old design:
2" all natural Talalay
5" blended latex core
2" all natural Talalay

New design:
3" all natural Talalay
3" blended latex core
3" all natural Talalay

I realize that the feel will be subjective, but any thoughts on durability differences between the two, or other differences between the 2 that should affect my decision?

Thanks.

Hi aurorajp,

I don’t think there would be any significant difference in durability between them because of the similarity of the actual materials.

I also don’t know if there is any difference between the quilting and ticking of each or the ILD’s they use but it seems to me that if everything else is equal that the new design with a thicker comfort layer (assuming the ILD’s haven’t changed) may be a little softer if you are a side sleeper and need a little extra thickness to sink in a little more.

Because they are so similar in terms of quality I would tend to make my choice based on PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). I’m guessing that if you test both of them that you will probably feel a difference and one would be your preference over the other. Of course you also have a comfort choice with each as well and if you are undecided between two options that feel close to identical (Soft, Medium, Firm) I would tend towards slightly firmer which would put a little firmer foam on the bottom which may be slightly better in terms of support/alignment. In terms of “value”, the new version also has more 100% natural latex which is a little more costly material than the blend.

Either way it’s a great choice IMO … and having a two sided mattress is a bonus as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. My wife was able to test both of them and the difference for her was minimal, I’m hoping to make another trip over there this week to test them out. I’m hoping the pressure relief and posture and alignment are similar between them so that I can choose based on preference and the one additional p, price. The newer version with more 100% natural latex is definitely more costly as it would put another $210 dent in the pocketbook, but if I feel that it’s that much better for me than that is the way I will go, I am a side sleeper, so that could factor in my decision.

Thanks again for all your advice and input, without a site like this I’m not sure what I’d do as I despise making ill informed decisions.

Hi aurorajp,\

You’re very welcome … and I’m glad the site could help.

I’ll be interested in hearing about what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

We wound up buying the Evergreen with the 2x5x2 configuration and 32 ild throughout. I was waking up stiff for the first couple weeks, but I wasn’t having the pain that I was with my old innerspring mattress. My wife was having a little stiffness as well. We assumed this was normal for chnaging over to a new mattress in a new material, however we’re both still getting stiffness, her more than me, after 60 days. I also am now getting extreme soreness on the side of my lower back whenever I sleep on my stomach. I used to be a combination side/stomach sleeper, but am now sleeping on my back more often, along with my side, and trying not to sleep on my stomach because of the pain.

Is it possible that the mattress is too firm for us and we should try to get Tim to change out the top and bottom layer for 26 ild, or even change out the middle layer for 26 ild and leave the top and bottom at 32 ild? It’s past 60 days, but I’m sure Tim would still work with us on it as long as we pay the normal transportation costs. Could it be that this bed is too stiff for us, and softening it up might help our problems? Could it be that we need more than 2 months to truly adjust?

It’s a gorgeous bed, and extremely comfortable to lay on and fall asleep on, but waking up hasn’t been the greatest.

Thanks in advance.
John

Hi aurorajp,

It’s certainly possible that your mattress comfort layers are too firm and 32 ILD is on the firm side for many people especially if they are side sleepers (although the time you spend on your stomach indicates caution with the thickness and softness of the comfort layers). My tendency would be to adjust the comfort layers (for pressure relief) not the support layers (which provide support which you need) but the first thing I would do is talk with Tim who is much more knowledgeable about your circumstances (having worked with you directly) and any adjustments that could help you.

There is also the possibility that something on top of your mattress such as a topper, mattress pad, or mattress protector could be interfering with the compression of the latex (see post #2 here)

Your circumstances may be a little complex because issues from stomach sleeping often indicate the need for more firmness (stomach sleepers often sleep in a swayback position) and your other issues may indicate the need for more softness. It’s also possible that the issues are caused by side sleeping (pain on one side only) or from some kind of “twisting” away from pressure on your side so a voice conversation that can ask more questions and go into more detail about what you are experiencing would be a good idea before proceeding with any changes.

My “gut” says that you may need softer comfort layers but I would talk with Tim to see what his experience and knowledge of you and your mattress indicates.

Phoenix