N2 vs N3 comfort layer?

Hi Phoenix!

I’ve been reading your site for awhile now, and I really appreciate the abdunance of information here and your attempts to remain unbiased in people’s purchasing decisions.

In hindsight, this post ended up being extremely long, so if please feel free to skip down to the “a new hope” or “what I’m basically asking is” sections since the back story might not all be necessary.

Backstory:
5ish months ago I purchased a Spindle mattress (continuous pour Dunlop latex from mountain foam) in a medium configuration for myself and my girlfriend. We are both 22 years of age, primarily side sleepers, right on the cusp between healthy and overweight BMI (25-26) and 5’6" 162lbs and 5’4" 150lbs respectively. I have a wide-shouldered frame and she has a wide-shouldered and wide-hipped frame, so point elasticity is a must for us. I have long had some difficulty with mattresses, in an odd way. Hotel beds usually seem great/fine and pose no problems, but “normal” inner springs, sleep numbers, and a lot of the more common mattresses tend to cause pain, and as I have gotten older the pain has increased more and more.

So, when I got to purchase my own mattress for a change, I was extactic. I knew exactly what I wanted, a soft memory foam. I purchased a Tempflow Eros from Relief Mart. It felt pretty darn good ever since I got it, but maybe could’ve been a little more supportive. Nevertheless, I no longer woke up in any pain, and so I was very pleased and was happy with my choice. Unfortunately, something changed. I started to put on some weight during the sedentary lifestyle of college (around 20-25lbs), and simultaneous the mattress started to feel differently. Come to find out, I had apparently failed to provide the mattress proper support, and the combined weight of myself and my girlfriend on the improper foundation was causing the mattress to sag. I didn’t realize this since I was in school, and just thought it odd we were having to turn the mattress monthly. But, then monthly became weekly, and then every couple days, and I realized something was up. I started looking for a new mattress ASAP, and initiated a warranty return with Relief Mart. Unexpectedly from my new mattress research and my warranty return I realized the foundation and even bed frame were inadequate for the Tempflow mattress. Relief Mart sent me a topper, and eventually offered me a 50% discount on a new mattress, but I was rather frustrated by the lack of guidance I received in terms of foundations and decided to go with a Spindle instead, for a comparable price. I just want to say, Spindle has been immensely helpful and patient with me, and was very clear about proper foundational support for the mattress and proper care in all respects.

The Spindle was a large improvement over the Tempflow with broken down comfort layers, but it quickly became apparently that it definitely wasn’t quite right. I spoke with Kim at Spindle, and informed him I thought the mattress might be too firm. After some questions, Kim believed the mattress might actually be too soft, but I got him to eventually agree with me. Then I second guessed myself because I moved my layers around and found some improvement with Medium/firm/medium. I therefore told Kim I would play around with the layers and to hold off. It turned out the best configuration I found was the Medium/firm/medium, but it wasn’t quite right. Since going former helped before, but it wasn’t quite right, Kim agreed to send me an additional firm layer and try the f/f/m + medium topper configuration, or a f/f/m configuration. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem, and if anything made it worse. At our wits end, Kim eventually suggested that perhaps latex just isn’t right for us.

I did some more research, and realized that I believe my problem with the spindle lies in the nature of Dunlop latex itself. Quite frankly, I don’t think the larger compression modulus of Dunlop provides sufficient opportunity for our shoulders and hips to sink in. Measuring my shoulders, I have about 3" from the widest part of my chest under my arm pit to the outside of my shoulder, so I think I need about 3" of a consistent compression comfort layer. I believe the medium Dunlop is not permitting my shoulders to sink in sufficiently and is therefore causing me to twist my spine and place the pressure of basically my entire body weight on my ribs (note, this is basically the nature of my experience on Dunlop, sleep number, and most inner spring beds alike. I believe this is a “learned” position my body has used to compensate for the fact it’s just not possible for my shoulders to be even remotely straight in any of these types of beds).

I asked Kim about putting a 3" memory foam layer on top of the Spindle, and he and Neil agreed that they think this sort of configuration could produce good results for me. In response to this line of thought, I purchased a 3" layer of 3lb density novaform memory foam from Costco to test out the theory. I placed the 3" memory foam on top of two firm layers of Spindle latex (approx 90lb/ft^3 density?). This produced incredibly favorable results for my shoulders and ribs at first, but over a few days I developed lower back pain and the rib pain returned, though my shoulders were actually able to finally get the softness they needed. I believe we were simply sinking straight through the 3lb foam since I definitely have a fairly dense body mass (25ish and 26ish BMI as I mentioned) and feeling the firm layers underneath. I switched out one of the firms for a medium, but again got lower back pain as my lower back began to feel unsupported.

Additionally, the memory foam was extremely hot for us after sleeping on latex for 5 months. Plus, we really enjoyed the fact that the latex, because unlike our previous 5lb memory foam, it didn’t make us feel exhausted just from turning over and getting in and out of bed as the 5lb density foam in the Tempflow Eros used to. These memory foam gripes aren’t really deal breakers by any means, but together our results got us thinking.

A new hope:
As a result of thinking about our various gripes with memory foam – in addition to its positives – we realized we really did like the “feel” and benefits of latex, even if we hadn’t had quite what we were looking for with the all Dunlop Spindle. We decided try some other types of latex, so we drove two hours (each way) to our nearest Savvy Rest dealer. Our theory was from our testing of the more firm Spindle and the positive feeling of the softer memory foam, that more firmness had proven that it was not the answer. Based on what I’d been reading about the differences between talalay latex and Dunlop, I was really excited to try some softer talalays and see how I felt about them. My girlfriend didn’t know what she would like, but definitely wanted to try out something different since our bed was hurting her as well – in similar ways to how it was hurting me (though it probably helped that I sweetened the deal with a visit to the nearby natural history museum after we’d visited Savvy Rest.).

At Savvy Rest, our salesperson started us off on their Medium/Soft/Firm Dunlop and Soft/Medium/Firm Dunlop mattresses. These configurations were okay, and the Soft/Medium/Firm was definitely good, but I was still excited to try the Talalay.

So, we moved over to the Soft Talalay/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop. For me, I quickly noticed this configuration caused my lower back muscles to noticeably strain to keep my spine aligned. My girlfriend also did not feel the soft Talalay on top was supportive enough. Instead, she tried soft Talalay as a 3" topper on top of Savvy’s 7" mattress, and was clearly hooked. She did say she experienced some sort of discomfort in her ribs that she couldn’t quite place, but said it was the best in the store for her and she’d have to sleep on it to know if the rib issue would go away (she postulated that perhaps it is residual tenderness from the Spindle’s firmness).

For her, soft/medium/firm all Dunlop was a second, but she felt after laying on it for awhile that it may prove to be too firm. When I explained to her about Dunlop’s rapid compression firmness, she felt this supported her idea that the soft Dunlop top layer may prove to be too firm because she was sinking in to it a lot.

On my side of things, I was undeterred by the failure of the Soft Talalay on top, and I forged ahead. I tried the Medium Talalay/Medium Dunlop/Firm Dunlop and it felt very, very good. Over time, I began to notice that the “pushback” of the Talalay seemed to be pushing my hips and shoulders up a little too much, but it still felt blissfully, finally, soft enough for my ribs. I asked my girlfriend to try it, and she almost immediately felt that it pushed her hips out of alignment. Conversely, when I tried her topper on top configuration, it felt okay but kinda felt like I was going right through the “soft” Talalay (I believe Savvy Rest uses N2 Talalay global as “soft”) and didn’t quite feel “right” somehow. That said, she was hogging it, so a longer stay by me on it may have produced a more positive result.

I asked our Savvy Rest salesperson (who I just want to say was very professional, helpful, and not pushy in the least) about their ILDs and told him that the soft talalay seemed a bit soft for us, and the medium talalay a bit firm. I asked him if they had anything in the middle between the two. He stated the soft Dunlop would be the closest thing they had, but confirmed that Savvy Rest tends towards mediums as “medium firm” and that there was a sizeable disparity between their “soft” and "medium layers.

As a result, I suspected I could find something online that might be in the middle between their two talalays. After some snooping here and elsewhere, I found two sources that state Savvy’s soft to be N2 by Talalay Global, and their medium to be N4 by Talalay Global. So, I have a strong suspicion that, at least for me, a talalay global N3 at around 25-27 ILD comfort layer with medium and firm Dunlop underneath would be a “perfect” combination, at least based on short duration testing. I am hoping this will work for my girlfriend as well, since the topper was really good, but wasn’t exactly perfect for her. We also tend to sleep in a single “blob” in the middle of the mattress together, both on our sides, so she wonders if even though the soft topper worked well for her in the store, it might not be supportive enough throughout the night, and we’d feel more of the Medium Dunlop than we’d like. Quite simply, she really liked the talalay but stated she really didn’t care for how it performed inside the mattress in either case – (medium or soft).

So, based on testing and projections, the N3 might be perfect for us. But I have reservations since we’re not that high in the BMI range, and since we’re curvy side sleepers theoretically we should need a soft comfort layer, and the N3 is supposedly more “medium.” It makes me wonder if the Savvy soft was actually an N1, or just some sort of very soft N2, or if it is an N2 and I’m just denser than others. From what I have read on here about the experiences of others of lesser and also greater height/weight ratio (larger or smaller BMI than us). So, theoretically, an N2 sounds like a great blend of softness and support for most people, and so it makes me wonder if some part of my information might have been incorrect. Maybe Savvy is using N1 or something, or the N2s we tested had been used so much they’d broken down, or were just generally old and broken down? I just haven’t seen the N3 very often as a comfort layer choice for “normal” or nearly normal BMI/height + weight individuals. And “statistically” the curvy nature and sleeping position would push us toward more softness. I’m trying to decide which layer to purchase, and logically the N3 seems a strong contender and a choice worth testing, but the N2 seems “safer” because even if we don’t like it we can just stick it in the topper configuration my girlfriend liked and I was okay with. Further, the topper confirmation would, I believe, increase the “point elasticity” of the mattress, which is something we both definitely benefit from. So, the N3 could be great, but it’s a risk. What I’m basically asking for your advice on (finally!) is:

Have you seen N3 Talalay work as a comfort layer work, especially over medium and firm Dunlop? Based on what I’ve said, do you think, completely speculatively, the N3 has a good chance of success for us? I understand you can’t feel what I feel, but I’m trying to ask if there’s some reason why N3 doesn’t seem to be a common choice for a comfort layer? I am concerned that the N3 is a more speciality piece that is often “best” suited used as a comfort layer for heavier or much heavier people since they would compress the layer more?

My fear is, obviously, we get the N3 and simply find that we need the extra point elasticity from having the comfort layer as a topper rather than inside our 10" mattress. Since we’re not that high in the BMI range, and others seem to do well on the N2, I worry that I am putting too much faith in my experience at Savvy Rest. Nevertheless, my experience at Savvy Rest was definitely a positive experience for me and really pushed me towards some type of latex, because I really enjoyed the feel of laying on their Medium Talalay, even if it was a bit firm. It was one of the best feelings I’ve experienced on a bed, but of course this was 5-10 minutes of laying and not sleeping. I also worry that since I erred on the side of firmness last time, I’m more inclined to err on the side of softness this time. Of course, we may simply have to try the N3 a couple different ways and exchange it if it doesn’t work for us, or it may work for me but not her or vice versa. With return shipping fees in the $80 range and toppers with return policies costing an extra $~50, it does make exchange still a costly proposition so I’m of course really just after a “best odds” choice here.

As an aside, I was also curious if the N2 and N3s have any tendency to run on the higher or lower end of the 20-24.99 (N2) and 25-29.99 (N3) ranges? As in, is an N2 any more likely to be in the 20-22 (or 25-27 for N3) range rather than the 23-24.99 (28-30 range for N3) range, or vise versa? Is there some universal advice that things tend to run on the lower end or on the higher end? I think I basically want something around a 25 ILD.

Thank you so much in advance for your help, and I apologize for my extremely lengthy post!

Hi Apeiron,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I appreciate the level of detail you provided in your post, but I’ll attempt to keep my response more succinct and general, as I fear you’ve gone a bit “down the rabbit hole” of analyzing your choice and are straying from the most important thing - your own sleeping and personal testing experiences - and I don’t want to feed into any potential over-analysis of product.

I’ll address a few simple “bookkeeping” things first, then get on to your main concerns.

You’re correct that the foundation and frame play an important part in your mattress comfort life and support/alignment, so I’m happy that you’ve addresses those things.

I’m sorry that your Spindle mattress didn’t work out for you, but I’m glad that Kim and Neal were very helpful. As you’re aware, Spindle is a member here of the site, and I do think highly of Neal and his expertise.

While Dunlop “firms up faster” than Talalay, there certainly was enough material in your tested configurations to allow you to sink in, but there is much more involved in achieving the comfort you desire than just the compression modulus, including the density/ILD of the Dunlop layers used, synthetic vs. natural, fillers, layer ordering, overall layers and their thickness, and even the covering, just to name a few things. It certainly may be that you have an affinity for the feel of Talalay over Dunlop, but I would avoid the temptation to try and get “too technical” for your reasons, and instead focus upon your impressions of comfort when testing out the product.

No, perhaps you mean 90 kg/m3 for density, but more accurately firmer Mountain Top latex used by Spindle is in the 5.5 lb/ft3 density range.

This is probably correct. Too soft/too thick of an upper comfort layer can contribute to poor alignment and also allow to “sink in” too much, allowing for a lateral curve which can be felt along the ribs by some people. Memory foam itself is not a supportive material, and you were probably “feeling through” the memory foam layer to the firm latex beneath it.

Regarding the Savvy Rest mattresses you tested, they use Talalay from Radium and it is 100% Natural. Their soft is in the 15-20 (N5) ILD range, their medium is in the 30-37 ILD (N7) range, and their firm is in the 37-44 ILD (N8) range. The Dunlop in the Savvy Rest mattresses is from Coco-Latex and is 100% Natural. The soft is in the ILD range of 22-30, the medium is in the ILD range 31-39, the firm is in the ILD range of 40+.

As a reference, Talalay in the western world will be sourced from either Radium or Talalay Global (TG). Both companies supply different formulations, some which can be proprietary for larger clients. As an example, Radium has their Embrace, Intuition, Natural Superior and FRX lines, while Talalay Global had additives like phase change materials, graphite and copper they will put in some specialty products.

They are both available in either 100% natural or in a 30/70 blend (NR/SBR) and in practical terms I would treat them as being comparable in terms of durability.

TG blended Talalay comes in target ILD’s of 14, 19, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, & 44. You can see the approximate density of each of these in post #2 here.

Radium blended Talalay comes in target ILD’s (rounded to the closest whole number) of 11, 15, 19, 22, 25, 29, 34, & 40

Talalay Global uses a filler in their latex formula while Radium doesn’t

Talalay Global 100% natural Talalay comes in N1 (14 - 19), N2 (20 - 24), N3 (25 - 29), N4 (30 - 34), & N5 (35 - 42) with nominal midpoints of about 17, 22, 27, 32, 38.

Radium 100% natural has ILD targets (rounded to the closest whole number) of 9, 13, 18, 23, 28, 33, 39, and 44

You can see a chart for Radium’sILDrangehere.

Most of the manufacturers that I’ve talked that work extensively with both say that they have a comparable “feel” although of course this is subjective, and they all tend to agree that both brands are superior foams. The difference between them would be relatively small and would probably reflect the different ILDs, amount of filler, and any other differences in compounding formulas and pincore patterns they have.

In practical terms … while there are slight differences between them … I would treat them as equals and the fact that both are Talalay (either blended or natural) would outweigh for me the source of the latex. Radium tends to dominate the Talalay latex market in Europe and Talalay Global tends to dominate the North American market and both of them also do business in each other’s primary markets. They are both well respected and quality products and I would focus more on issues such as which type of Talalay I wanted, the ILDs of the layers I wanted, and the overall value of the mattress rather than on one brand over another.

As for the Savvy Rest configurations you tested, the St, Md, Fd was a bit too soft on top for you.
The Mt, Md, Fd was very, very good. Just soft enough for your ribs, but firm enough for alignment of the hips and shoulders.

The key with any configuration is making sure that you find something with deep support and alignment, then “just enough” comfort material on top to provide adequate relief. Overall, people tend to skew too far to the plush end of the spectrum (something Spindle alluded to earlier).

If you desire something with just a bit more surface comfort, you could look for Radium’s 100% Natural in N6, or a Talalay in the mid-20s range. But if you’re considering making your own DIY mattress, realize that all of the componentry works together, so any change in one layer, even the covering, will make a change in the overall feel of the product.

I’m not going to address your other questions about why you don’t see as many N2 or N3 layers being used by people, or who might find them appropriate, as much of this has nothing to do with what might work for you personally and I think my answers would only serve to drive you further “down that rabbit hole”. And attempting to get too technical and predict what might work for you when you aren’t technically experienced in mattress design, specifically latex mattress design (and this would be very few people nationally - it’s nothing against you personally), becomes a bit of a futile exercise, as nothing can replace your own personal testing on these different configurations, and I would put the most guidance in what you’ve tested in person.

Overall, I think you are on a good tract with your thoughts on perhaps trying out something in the uppermost layer between the two Talalay layers you tried, but if you had to choose one of the two you have already tested, I would personally lean toward the Medium Talalay over the Soft Talalay, based upon your previous comments.

If you have more specific questions or comments I’ll do my best to answer those, but I’m purposely keeping my thoughts to a more general range for right now to focus specifically on you and your needs. I hope that helps.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your reply! As much as my heart desires to go down the rabbit hole, I believe and appreciate that you are correct in asserting a limitation.

Particularly, your information on the Savvy Rest Talalay firmnesses has been quite helpful. Knowing that the latex I tested is in the 15-20ILD and the 30-37 ILD range is very different from the 20-24 range I thought it was. This basically means that I don’t have much choice besides additional testing and quite frankly ballparking it a little. I’ll be sure to purchase a layer with a return policy then. Based on that new information, my inclination is actually to start somewhere around 24-26 ILD and decide if I need to go up or down from there, since the 15-20 ILD piece could have been on either end of the range and I won’t know until I try it. I don’t wish to go down the rabbit hole too far, but this also is consistent with and explains why it seemed like many people I’ve read about felt the N2 ILD to be reasonably substantial, but when I laid on Savvy Rest’s soft I felt I was virtually going straight through it. This is not for the intent of trying to theoretically predict how a layer might work for me, but rather it just makes me favor a more cautious/flexible approach because I don’t have the range dialed in as much as I thought I did. The medium felt better for me, but it does seem like it’s more difficult to tell with harder beds until they’ve had enough time for the pressure points to build up. Softer beds it’s kinda easy for me to tell if they’re too soft because I can feel my back muscles start to work or strain. I was mainly asking if N3 is a common or uncommon choice was mainly because something just didn’t seem to add up somewhere between the things that I’ve tried, and I would’ve expected it to be more popular if it was just in the dead middle between the two layers I’d tried. Seeing as a lot of people like softer, and there’s not one but two middle points between the two layers, it makes sense for N2 to be a very popular middle ground.

Just for clarification’s sake, when you and others talk about “average sleeper” are our BMIs considered “average” or above average or…?

It is not my intent to go “true” DIY mattress, but I have my Spindle as a starting point, and based on some in person testing I know the general area of what I want, so really my intent is just to get a medium-soft talalay piece and see how that shakes things up. My intent is to leave the bottom two layers alone for the most part as based on my testing in the Savvy Rest store, medium and firm Dunlop definitely seemed to be the base configuration I preferred. (Which is funny, I was interested in what an all talalay bed felt like, but pretty much any bed that had talalay as support layers seemed to push back too much and didn’t feel as comfortable to me. Not what I expected, but definitely supports your assertion that there’s no substitute for personal testing.)

My basic plan is: Ask KTT enterprises nicely and see if they can find me a 3" layer in something around 24-26ILD range, and speak with them a bit to see if they have any suggestions. Buy the 3" layer. Try it out. If it’s not soft enough or not something enough, stick it on top of the Spindle as a topper. If that doesn’t work, decide if we need something softer or firmer. This is always the trick of course, because if you’re too close to the middle of the road, I’ve noticed, and as I mentioned, it can be easy to misjudge which direction you actually need to go.

Thank you so very much for your help, and I really appreciate your guidance and expertise. As much as all the lurking I’ve done here has been helpful, once you have more specific questions (those not covered by the basic tutorials) there’s really no substitute for asking a direct question (especially of someone extremely knowledgeable like yourself) – so it’s all the more valuable that we have the ability to post here. Thank you very much for taking your time to help people.

Hi Apeiron,

You’re very welcome! There’s nothing wrong with acquiring technical details, but my concern is always becoming a bit too esoteric in my explanations, as I would never recommend that someone try to predict the comfort they will feel on a mattress strictly from specifications as a replacement for actual testing, unless the was no other option available.

I think you have a good starting point there, and it all seems quite logical.

Just for others who might be reading through this thread, N2 isn’t what you tested on the Savvy Rest mattress upper layer. N2 is the Talalay Global 20-24 ILD natural Talalay latex, and the Savvy Rest “soft” layer that you tested is from Radium in the 15-20 ILD range, which they call N5.

Softer upper comfort layers tend to be more popular (in traditional progressive designs), but using a slightly firmer upper layer is seen (what I term a dominant layer design) when people prefer a bit more of a “crisp” or substantial upper comfort layer.

A BMI of 30 or so would begin to be what I consider in a bit of a higher range.

KTT is very knowledgeable about the Talalay Global latex they offer, and I would not hesitate to place a phone call with them for their advice.

You’re welcome, and I think you’re heading in a good direction and I’ll be interested to learn of your progress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks again for all your responses. I now have a good general direction to head and good tests to run.

It occurred to me that perhaps I ought to buy Radium talalay since that is what I tested at Savvy Rest. I understand that you define them to be practically equivalent, and that the main reason why manufacturers use one supplier or another tends to be concerns over some old QC issues, and that the layperson probably can’t tell much of a difference. But, qualitatively, minutely, detail orientedly, is there some reason why I would choose one over the other? You mentioned Talalay Global uses a filler sometimes, I wasn’t clear on what models, but I care far more about which one might feel (even just a little) better, or be more durable, or more pressure relieving, etc. I again I understand that they’re practical equivalents, but there must be some reason why they think Talalay Global is worth $50-100 more than Radium as their main competition? Specifically I was deciding if I should also consider some Radium (22-24) or 28 ILD Talalay purchased Flexus comfort. There’s no return policy unfortunately, but it is $100 cheaper (plus TMU discount but this is negated by taxes), and return shipping would be on the order of $90, so between the higher price and shipping I’m most of the way to a second layer anyway… I’m not sure which one makes more sense, but I’m just trying to decide if I should consider this line of thought as well. If Talalay Global has some advantages, even if they are slight, it will be a similarly slight factor in my decision process.

Thanks, will update after I get my new piece!

Hi Apeiron,

The reason would be that this would be the way to find the closest/most consistent to what you tested – selecting from the Radium 100% NR line.

Quality-wise I would consider both Radium and Talalay Global to be good quality and durable Talalay latex materials, even though there are of course differences in formulations, curing processes, fillers, etc.

I don’t know that this is necessarily the case any longer, as this was a very small run some time ago from what was then Latex International that has since been addressed. Most of what you’ll find will come down to pricing, availability and comforts offered.

I don’t know who the “they” is you’re referencing here, but overall I can’t speak to the pricing policies of any latex retailer and their cost structure as to why they would charge more for one type or brand of latex versus another.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks, I’ll consider Radium as well then and see how things go. I’ll update as to how things are progressing.

For clarification, by “they” I meant that from the places I had been looking at, the ones that clearly sold Talalay Global tended to cost more, which I attributed to the supplier (Talalay Global) rather than the retailer ( e.g. KTT enterprises). So by “they” I was intending to refer to Talalay Global.

Thanks,
Apeiron

Hi Apeiron,

Thanks for that clarification, as I thought you were referencing a retailer of the foam component layers, such as KTT that you mentioned. I’m not familiar with the cost of production or pricing structure used by either Radium or TG (that’s not something they would normally share with me, being someone outside of the company itself), so I can’t provide much more “color” on your original question - sorry about that.

In terms of cost overall, synthetic or blended Dunlop is the least expensive (less natural rubber lowers the cost of the material), Natural Dunlop and blended Talalay are roughly equivalent, and Natural Talalay and organic Dunlop are generally the most expensive to produce. There are some variations here because of variations in methods of production and variations of NR latex used between different foam producers and other factors but in general this is roughly accurate. However, I don’t have any data on the costs of production for similar materials from different manufacturers.

I’m looking forward to learning of your progress!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Update:
Decided on the soft (“22-24 ILD” per retailer) Radium from Flexus Comfort. I worked exclusively with James, and he was nice but is clearly not a man of many words. That said, he answered my questions and made sure I was taken care of, though I believe I may have annoyed him with so many questions for what would seem to be a simple mattress topper purchase. I was mainly just hestitant since there’s no return policy. Overall pleased with my experience, and the price, but I’m still not entirely sure if I should have gotten one with an exchange policy. I’m realizing that if this works out, I’ll be extremely lucky. And I had it decently well narrowed down… so for others reading this… if you’re unsure, check into places with warranty returns and check how much they would cost because it might save your bacon – and it really is a little bit of a crap shoot even if you think you know. Buuuut I’m also perhaps more sentive to bed configurations than others.

Now, why is say that:
I have one medium Dunlop in the middle and one firm Dunlop on the bottom. I’m actually laying on it right now. It is much, much firmer than I expected. It may even be firmer than the “medium” from savvy rest, though admittedly I’ve been laying on it for about an hour now. It also does not seem to be very yielding or contouring, again unlike the Savvy Rest pieces I tried (though they were of slightly lower ILD). I’m going to give it some time to see how I feel about it and figure out my next move, but I’m very very glad I didn’t pick the medium (“28 ILD”). If it doesn’t feel better after a week or two, I will look into getting a 17-18 ILD piece, or even lower and I can flip my “medium” Dunlop in the middle to have its firm side up. I must admit, I’m really confused by how different this brand new stuff feels compared to the Savvy Rest stuff. My only guess is the Savvy Rest latex has been “broken in,” but I was under the impression latex didn’t soften that much, so it’s rather surprising.

Thanks!

Hi Apeiron,

Whether or not a supplier or manufacturer has a return policy on products is something you’d always want to consider in importance as part of your personal value equation.

Unless you are buying the exact same foam produced by the same supplier to the same specifications, there will always be some differences in comfort. Additionally, you’d need to test the exact same foams in the exact same configurations using the exact same coverings to achieve a sameness in feel. And latex will soften slightly with initial use, but the change isn’t as dramatic as with polyfoam.

Phoenix

The point I intended to make was that logic-ing your way through ILD numbers is no guarantee you will like it, so that exchange/return policy is very worth it in the case of mattress shopping.

Theoretically I was buying the exact same foam made by the exact same supplier to very similar specifications, so I guess I just expected very similar results haha. Lesson learned I suppose!

We figured it out! We didn’t realize talalay had a firm and soft side like Dunlop, but we flipped it over on a hunch and it got significantly softer! Still a bit firm for us so far, but at least this one is much closer to what we expected and depending on how much it softens up it might be perfect for us. Otherwise, we might use it as a topper on top, but either way it’s much better and we’re quite relieved. I’ll give it some time and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all your help!

Best,
Apeiron

Hi Apeiron,

Your situation aside, Talalay is quite homogeneous and generally doesn’t have a change in comfort or settling of particulate and feel firmer or softer when flipped from one side to another.

But I’m happy that in your case you’ve discovered something that feels better to you! :slight_smile:

Phoenix