N4 core and 19 IDL Comfort layer

I was recently sold a 6 in core of N3 which was described as medium. I have been miserable. I sunk down into the middle of the mattress. Ached all over. I am replacing with N4 core and have ordered a layer of Latex intl. 19 idl. and a new cover to contain both. Orig core purchased from local dealer and have ordered a comfort layer from online seller. It seemed logical to replace the N3 with N4 since the softer core was killing my lower back. Does this seem logical to you this combination for a 75 lb overweight older person with princess pea syndrome?The local dealer advised buying only the six-inch N3 core with poly foam in the quilted cover and waiting to see if I needed a comfort layer. Unfortunately this has been an expensive experience.

Please consult your crystal ball for me. Thanks.

Hi Madam Queen,

Yes … if an N3 was too soft for you then either replacing it with a firmer N4 would certainly make sense in theory although your own personal sleeping experience will be the only way to assess whether it makes “enough” difference for you in real life.

I would also tend to try the core by itself before deciding on the thickness and firmness of a comfort layer so you can use your own sleeping experience as a guideline to help you decide on the thickness and firmness of the comfort layer that would have the best chance of success for you unless you have done some careful testing on or have slept on this specific combination in person and know that it works well for you.

Phoenix

Thank you for your quick response!
I noticed on the latex international site that N1,2, and 3 are listed as comfort layers, and N4 and 5 are core layers. Unfortunately, I saw that info after I had already bought the recommended N3 at the local store. I did try the idl19 idl topper on an innerspring, and it was very cushy and comfortable. I have already ordered it, in desperation, since I need some rest. If I’ve made a mistake with the 19 idl, what should my next step be? Should receive both items this week. They say experience is the best teacher, because it’s the most costly. I’ve had lots of it.

Hi Madam Queen,

While this would be “mostly correct” … the N3 has an ILD range between 25 and 29 ILD which in some designs and for some people would work fine as a support layer.

That would depend entirely on why it wasn’t working for you and on your specific sleeping experience and “symptoms” and the types of changes they “pointed to”. It could be as simple as exchanging the topper for a different firmness level or involve other types of changes such as changing the thickness of the comfort layer, using a different material, adding a transition layer, or changing the type of cover you are using. It all depends on the specifics but since you have already made your purchases I would cross that bridge when you come to it.

This is all part of the challenge and rewards along with the trial and error and learning curve involved in the DIY process (see option #3 and the posts it links to in post #15 here).

Phoenix

To recap –

Visited local dealer found on Mattress Underground, (although told he was not a member when I asked for the discount). Very nice and helpful though.

He had on his floor two LI cores, N3 and N4 with non-zippered covers quilted to poly foam. I felt I sank into the N3 too much; and the N4 felt too firm. I wish the story had ended right there. Since I was desperate for rest, and was committed to a latex bed, I purchased one.

Owner recommended N3, saying that most everyone chose it and loved it—and I purchased that one. He also had on the floor an idl 19 topper with non-zippered cover. (The topper felt really comfortable to me when it was on the top of an innerspring.) He recommended purchasing only the N3 core, and waiting to see if I needed a topper. He said there was no use spending the money for a topper if not needed. Sounded practical to me. He did not recommend or sell latex cores with comfort layer/layers in one zippered mattress cover. Purchased the N3. It felt ok when I first got it, although not cushy. But after a few hours, my back was killing me. Tried it for more than two weeks.

The dealer replaced the N3 with an N4 since he does not take back and refund unsatisfactory purchases. Since I knew it was too firm alone, I ordered from mattress.net a 9" zippered mattress cover and a 19 idl comfort layer which Gregg recommended. I had it shipped to the dealer with his permission, and he put it together for me. Now I have had the expense of the extra,unusable cover and two delivery charges, and so far a bed that is too painful to sleep on. My fault, of course.

The new mattress feels springy and fairly soft to the touch. I have had it for three nights, and I cannot complete the night on it because of the pressure on my hip, thigh and arm when I lie on my side, which is a apparent when I first lie down. My arm and hand go dead. Even my La noodle pillow doesn’t feel comfortable under my head on this mattress. I feel like I need a really soft, thick cloud-like topper on it, but I am afraid that it would interfere with back support. I even put four La noodle pillows on the mattress for comfort layer, and it did give me some relief. The pillows are thicker than a La noodle topper would be. You can imagine how awkward that was trying to sleep on. I finally got on two different sofas the rest of night. I felt l as if I had been beaten with a rubber hose this morning. If you think the comfort layer I have would best be removed and replaced with a different comfort layer/layers, I can use the 19 idl on an innerspring mattress I have in the guest room that is too firm. Hope you can work with this information to try to help me. Thank you very much.

Hi Madam Queen,

There are hundreds of retailers and manufacturers mentioned in the dozens of local lists throughout the forum that aren’t members of the site but that would be better options or possibilities for a local purchase. The ones that are members of the site and provide a discount or bonus to the forum members here are listed here.

I would also agree with the advice they gave you about waiting to buy a topper until it was clear that you needed it.

Just to be clear … am I correct in assuming that your current mattress has a 6" core of N4 Talalay with 3" of 19 ILD Talalay on top of it and this is all inside a wool quilted zip cover?

Post #2 here has some suggestions about a mattress that is too firm when you first purchase it that may be helpful but if you did some careful testing on your mattress and it provided good pressure relief when you tested it then it may be a matter of the mattress needing to break in a little or for you to adjust to a new sleeping surface. If none of the suggestions there are helpful and the mattress is still too firm for you after a couple of weeks then outside of changing your core back to an N3 or using a softer ILD for your top layer (which I wouldn’t suggest with your body type because of the risk of alignment issues) then your best option may be adding an additional softer topper.

I would wait for at least two weeks if it’s at all possible so that it’s clear that your experience isn’t just the result of the mattress needing to break in a little or for you to adjust to a new mattress (although if it’s too uncomfortable you may need to make some changes before that).

I can’t feel what you feel and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to make a specific topper suggestion based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” … if you believe that you still need some additional softness and pressure relief after a couple of weeks (or as long as possible) then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to (along with more detailed conversations with a knowledgeable manufacturer or retailer) can help you use your sleeping experience as a guideline for the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that may be a good match for you in combination with your mattress.

Phoenix

Yes, you are correct in assuming that my current mattress has a 6" core of N4 Talalay with 3" of 19 ILD Talalay on top of it and this is all inside a wool quilted zip cover. It is the bamboo cover from Mattress.net.

Hi Madam Queen,

Given your body type I would be cautious about using too much thickness in softer latex layers or latex layers that were much lower than the 19 ILD you are already using because this could be risky in terms of alignment.

You may be feeling too much of the firmness of the N4 layer through the softer 19 ILD layer on top of it (although N4 wouldn’t be particularly firm for your body type based on “averages”) and it may be worth considering using a slightly firmer layer on top of your N4 (such as N3 or a 28 ILD blended layer) as a transition layer and then using your 19 ILD layer as a topper on top of this. While there is no way to know if this would be successful until you actually lie on it … it would at least lower the risk involved in using latex layers on top of your mattress that were too thick/soft and if you purchase the layer from a supplier that allows for exchanges or returns then there would be less risk in trying a combination that didn’t work out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

To try to remedy the discomfort of the mattress,I unzipped the mattress cover and pulled it completely back off of the latex and slept pretty well with just a sheet over the mattress. Last night I pulled the mattress cover back down over the mattress, but did not zip it—thinking this might relieve some of the firmness but get me accustomed to the mattress cover. That didn’t work. Caused hip to hurt, neck to be stiff, and could not sleep. Had to get up and move to the sofa. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me that the only the mattress cover zipped and pulled back or unzipped but in place could be the cause of so much pain and discomfort. When I pulled the cover back off of the mattress early this morning, it was a great relief. It seems that the very soft latex is necessary for me to have any rest. I know I can’t go indefinitely without a mattress cover. Does this make sense to you? The mattress cover seems soft, but it does have that firm wool quilted to it.

Hi Madam Queen,

Yes … it makes perfect sense. The effect of a mattress cover (either with different types of quilting or a stretch knit) on the feel and performance of a mattress and on the response and contouring of the layers below the cover is often surprising to many people and it can certainly make a significant difference … especially for those that are more sensitive. There is more about quilted covers vs stretch knit covers in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix