Narrowing down my choices

I’m so happy to have found this website. I started researching latex mattresses about three weeks ago, and your website has helped me broaden my knowledge. Unfortunately, it’s also broadened my search, and whenever I feel like I’m getting closer to a final decision, I learn of another company or product to check out!

I’m looking for a reasonably-priced, natural latex, twin mattress for my toddler. I’d like not to have to buy another mattress for him for 15 years. My choices are:
10" cotton camilla (Brooklyn bedding)
6" pebble twin mattress (nook)
9" Powell (parklane)

Quality and non-toxic is important. I’d also like to be able to remove the cover to wash it easily. I’m interested to know if I’m missing other obvious choices.

Hi Reallylovetherain,

I’m not sure I should be doing this considering your title said “narrowing” down your options rather than “broadening” your options but there are a number of very good threads in the forum about mattresses and children that include some good information and links to number of good choices that are available to you. They are linked in post #2 here.

As you probably know … a toddler needs a firmer mattress than an adult because of their less curvy body type and their need for good support and alignment while they are developing and if you choose a thinner mattress with durable materials then when they reach their pre-teens or teenage years and begin to mature and need more softness on top you can just add a good quality softer topper and extend the suitability and the life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Haha! Looks like I’ve got some reading to do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction…

I’m looking for the same thing…leaning towards a 100% latex mattress.

Hi treehugger,

I saw that you were considering a similar mattress. I am LOVING sifting through all of this information and learning from the research and experiences of others. I think the ideal mattress for my son, to my mind, would be the Twin Adjustable Ultra Plush mattress with 100% natural talalay and quilted Bamboo cover from Mattress.net (thank you, Phoenix!), but with shipping, it’s out of our price range.

I’m leaning strongly toward the Cotton Camilla from BB, even though a 10" mattress for a 32 month old seems like overkill. :blink: The price is great, and I like the zipper-accessible topper.

Phoenix, I live in Portland, OR (97217), and I’m wondering if you are familiar with Mulligan Mattress? They have a 6" latex mattress for $650. I’m not sure what they use for ticking/batting, though.

Hi Reallylovetherain,

Yes … they are in the Portland list here and make good quality mattresses. They use natural or organic cotton in their covers according to their site. A 6" Dunlop mattress could be a very good choice for a child.

You have some good local options available to you including one of the members of the site :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 10" Cotton Camilla from Brooklyn Bedding today. The price was right for us, and I like the zip-off topper. We’ll see! I’ll be sure to post about my experience after we set it up and sleep on it a few nights.

Thank you so much for your time and for informing my research. Additionally, with the 5% discount, I got the sleep rite mattress protector for next to nothing. Thanks again!

Hi Reallylovetherain,

I’m happy to see that in spite of my broadening your options you managed to narrow them back down to one!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix