Narrowing down on a mattress

I’m trying to decide on a replacement for my junk heap of a mattress, so I’ve done a bunch of research and I really like the characteristics of a latex mattress. I’ve found a few options that look promising (and also happen to be on the recommended manufacturer list here):

Spindle Abscond
Brooklyn Bedding Camilla
Dream Foam Ultimate Dream

If I’m not mistaken, the last two are manufactured by the same people, which begs the questions “Why is the Dream Foam so much cheaper?” and “Why does the Dream Foam have so many more firmness options?”. They also look like they have a polyfoam core, which isn’t very appealing.

I’m leaning heavily toward the Spindle mattress because it appears to be all latex. I’ll be writing them a huge email full of questions once I’m done here, but I was wondering if there were any more good options I’m missing in this sort of price range?

Also, I’m having a little trouble finding latex mattresses to lay on and test out. I just discovered that there is a Savvy Rest store not too terribly far away (not on the recommended list, but I’ve seen you link to their resources a few times). Would it be worth my time to give them a visit? Are there any other good places you know of on the Virginia side of DC?

I bought an Abscond about a month ago and like it. The 7 zones are an important feature that I did not consider when I bought it. The mattress is made softer at the hips with larger perforations. I would recommend ordering one slight stiffer than you would expect otherwise. Also, I added a second thick polyester/cotton mattress cover to provide more isolation from the latex. In general, the synthetic latex is much better than the conventional, polyurethane over steel coils that was replaced.

Hi Iniquitous,

Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are sister companies. One sells on Amazon where people are generally looking for lower budget mattresses and the other is their own factory direct site which includes most of their higher budget mattresses. The Dreamfoam line includes more of their low to mid range mattresses and their Brooklyn bedding line includes more of their midrange and higher lines although there is some overlap between them in the middle range. In general the differences in cost would be the result of lower cost materials, different options and exchange or return policies between them that are included in the cost of the mattress, and because lower budget mattresses made by the same manufacturer tend to have slightly smaller margins. For the most part … Brooklyn Bedding has more comfort options available but this varies from mattress to mattress because some of the mattresses from both have different comfort options available and some don’t have the option to choose a comfort level at all. Both companies include all latex options and latex hybrid options that use a polyfoam core along with other types of mattresses as well. You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here and a general comparison between an all latex mattress and a latex polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here.

As you know … all of these manufacturers are members here which means they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value and service. Spindle has two versions of their latex mattresses with one that uses synthetic latex and the other that uses 100% natural latex (with the synthetic being significantly less costly) (Note: Spindle is now only using 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop in their mattresses).

Both manufacturers would make great choices and are well worth talking to on the phone (which I believe is an important part of any online mattress purchase).

The other members here that sell latex mattresses online are listed in post #21 here.

The better local options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Northern Virginia / Washington, DC area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Whoa, that’s a veritable deluge of information. I’ll have to pour over those two lists of retailers tomorrow. Thanks a bunch :woohoo: .

I just spoke with Neil at Spindle and he was extremely helpful with my questions. My wife and I have decided to purchase the Abscond, synthetic, in a medium firmness based on my conversation with him. Our main concern was the synthetic vs. natural and based on the information he provided we went with synthetic. The main criteria being:

1. Only a very slight reduction in durability with synthetic (I believe Neil said tenths of a percent)
  2. Their synthetic uses a rubber which has been in manufacture since the 50’s with no known carcinogens - in fact, each batch is tested and must pass certain standards

Neil did say there is a difference in the overall density between synthetic and natural, leading to a slightly firmer feel with the natural given equal IDP ratings.

We will provide a review once we get our new mattress!

Hi cjeder11,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It sounds to me like you made a great choice that was well researched and ended up with a mattress that was the best match for your personal value equation … which of course is the most important goal for every member of the site.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I wish I needed another mattress right away - I would purchase a Spindle just for their customer service! - these folks are awesome - I asked them why there was no twin XL option - for all the split king beds and college kids - and they answered me only a few hours later that will add the twin XL size to their website -they added it the same day… They know their stuff and seem like good people - I am impressed! I hope we get a review …