Narrowing Hybrid Latex Choices

Hello TMU!

Thanks for creating a great place for mattress education, this website has been a godsend. I’m researching a full sized mattress for myself (5’10, 165 lbs, combination sleeper but mostly back due to sleep apnea) and for my partner (5’1, 120 lbs, combo sleeper). After going through all the articles, a latex hybrid mattress seemed to be the way to go since both of us sleep hot, want something durable, and need more support than just a pure latex.

I’m considering the following mattresses, but I’ve had questions about each:

Nest Hybrid Latex

Arizona Ultimate Hybrid

Quadraflex Comfort

Sleepez Hybrid

For the Nest, I tried it in store and the medium firmness felt pretty good. However, the quilting layer includes 1.5’’ of polyfoam (after calling they said the density was 1.5 lbs/cu ft) and between the comfort and support layers there is another 1’’ layer of 1.5 lbs/cu ft. I’m concerned about performance and this being a weak link since this falls right at the low edge of what’s considered HD foam according to the TMU article which also states its a good idea to avoid anything greater than 1’’ in the quilting layer.

For the QuadraFlex and Arizona, both of these mattresses utilize the Combi-Zone construction in the pocket coils which have a firmer section in the middle. Since there is a 9’’ height difference between me and my partner, I’m concerned one of us (or both of us) will be misaligned with the firmer layer if we are both face to face causing pain and discomfort. It didn’t seem like they offered non-zoned constructions but in general are 3 zone constructions not meant for couples with a decent height difference?

And finally for the SleepEZ, it looks like it comes as a two sided mattress with 2’’ firm on one and 3’’ of plush on the other. Since both of us sometimes sleep on our sides, I’m concerned the 2’’ firm is too shallow and we’d sink in all the way to the pocket coils which would be uncomfortable.

Appreciate any help or advice!

Hi alha02.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

We are glad you’ve found our resources useful and can see you’ve got a list of great vs great options to choose from!

With regards to the Nest Hybrid Latex…

At your BMI, if there is a lower density layer that is deeper in the mattress and has an inch or two of higher quality and more durable materials above it, even if it is slightly lower than our minimum guideline of 1.5 lb per cubic foot density for polyfoam, it may be considered a reasonable compromise/decision where durability is concerned. I wouldn’t be especially concerned in this particular case. Also, the cover is removable and (to my knowledge) replaceable, also eliminating it as too big a factor as a weak link.

For the QuadraFlex and Ultimate Hybrid…

There is a great topic about zoned coils by Phoenix that may address your zoning concerns. And to take a few more words from Phoenix…

Zoning systems of various types can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but once again the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience.
With zoning, you’d need to take into account how your weight is distributed the distance between the hip and shoulders and where within the mattress you need to position yourself to get the desired alignment and comfort and to add to this you’d need to consider how your choice will be appropriate for your fiancée. Of course, that can be solved with the split king but you have many more variables to work with when dealing with zoning and you may be facing the classic dilemma of a couple with different needs and preferences that need to be designed into the same mattress or “sleeping system”.

I am sure you came across this article already but it is worth reading about innersprings and their differences here it in the context of zoning.

And for SleepEZ…

It’s hard to say for sure what your experience would be here. Side sleepers can get away with 2" in the comfort layer, and you’ll know if that’s not adequate enough because you’ll begin to experience pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure (when side sleeping). But, if you’re primarily back/stomach sleepers, I thin the 2" would be unlikely to be problematic for you.

I hope I’ve been able to help you as you make your decision! Please do feel free to ask any other questions that may arise.

NikkiTMU