Nashville Mattress

I was wondering if you knew of any good matress outlets in the Nashville area. I am currently leaning towards a memory foam matress but after doing some research on your site I would like a place where I could go where I could find somebody trustworthy and knowledgeable to deal with. I read in one of your other forum posts that Nashville can be a tough area to find a good outlet that is trustworthy. I am also looking online at some places such as rockymountainmatress.com and I am wondering which of their matresses would be suitable for someone such as me. I am 6’4" 235 lbs and a side sleeper. I also prefer a matress that is on the softer side as I hate feeling my hip dig into my matress. I also have some lower back pain. Thanks!

Hi tiredben,

The better options I’m aware of in the Nashville area are listed in post #7 here. While it may not be the “best” area … there are certainly some better options there. There have been a few members of the forum that made some very good quality/value purchases of Dutch Craft mattresses for example.

Each manufacturer knows much more about the specifics of all the layers and components of their own mattresses and which of the models they make or options they provide would be most suitable for different body types, sleeping positions and preferences based on the “averages” of their customer base. There is a lot of information about some of the theory behind different layering and designs and how they relate to body type and sleeping position in the mattresses section of the site but these are more generic and meant to help you understand the ideas behind mattress layering and the manufacturers or retailers themselves are always the best source for more specific suggestions for their own mattresses and the “averages” they use for different people.

Some of the better online sources for memory foam mattresses I’m aware of (including Rocky Mountain mattress) are listed in post #12 here. The more local testing you have done on mattresses where you know the details of the layering, the better you will be able to use your testing as a guideline for an online purchase.

Phoenix

I was wondering what your opinion of the Tamarack by Rocky mountian mattress is.

Hi tiredben,

In terms of quality and value, the Tamarack uses good quality materials in every layer and has no obvious weak links. They are also members here which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value in the country. Having said that … with your weight I would tend to reduce the use of 4 lb memory foams or comfort layers that are too thick and soft because they won’t be as durable as higher density materials and could have a higher risk of alignment issues as well.

I would always suggest a more detailed conversation with each manufacturer or retailer you are considering so you can provide them with more information about your local testing and more specific information about your needs and preferences so they can help you make the most suitable choice. They will know more than anyone else about their own mattresses.

Phoenix

After further reading of your comments on latex matresses and wanting to move towards a matress that will last for a long while, not to mention the all natural aspects, I went out and tried a few matresses at some of the places you have recommended around nashville for latex matresses. I am pretty impressed with what I have found and I really enjoy the feel of some of the plush latex matresseses I tried. I really liked a savvyrest I tried at natures greenlife with a plush talalay topper. I also liked pure latex bliss’s pamper and beauty. And I also liked their nature with a 3 inch talalay topper that was 15 ILD’s. However most of these are out of my price range and I believe that going online will save me more money and going with a set that I can build myself and trading layers out will help me to achieve a soft matress that will give me good support if the matress i choose is wrong the first go around. Not looking for perfection. just something soft that will help me wake up not aching all over. I am wondering what you think of going with arizona premium matress company’s adjustable ultra plush latex matress. After talking with one of their sales reps they believe that in going with a california king a medium core and a 2" soft topper would do well for me, 6’4" and 230 lbs, side sleeper. But they also said that the medium core and a 3" 19 ILD topper would be feel softer. The 3" 19 ILD topper is 150 dollars extra. I am wondering if you believe this matress is a good buy and whether or not it would provide enough support for me and if the thicker topper is a good value. Also I am wondering if it will provide enough support and hopefull not break down quickly. Are there also any other companies you recommend with interchangeable layers that would work well for me? Thank you for all of your help.

Hi tiredben,

It’s good to see that you did some good testing :slight_smile:

I would suggest narrowing down your choices among the PLB line to the “best” one for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and use that and the “best” layering of the Savvy Rest as your guideline. You have quite a “range” of mattresses that you like and they are all very different so they would not be a very useful guideline because they are not specific enough to your needs and preferences.

I would also tend to avoid latex in ILD ranges as soft as 15 because they would be much more risky for you both in terms of alignment and in terms of durability (and I think most manufacturers would suggest this as well). Heavier weights tend to need and do best with firmer latex than lighter weights would.

As you probably know … Arizona Premium is a member here and like all the members here I believe they are among the best quality and value in the country. They are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and the options they provide than I am so I leave the comfort and design choices to your more detailed conversations with them which is much more effective than any “theory at a distance” I could offer.

They also told me yesterday that they have a new coupon code for the member discount they give to the forum members and I haven’t updated the site yet but in case you need it the code is MU5 although just telling them on the phone is usually enough which is the way the discount works for most of the members here.

The other members of the site that sell online (several of whom also have latex mattresses with various versions of exchangeable layering) are listed in post #21 here.

Phoenix

DO you happen to know of any factory direct manufacturers of latex in the Nashville area?

Hi tiredben,

I linked the better Nashville options I’m aware of in the second post of your thread. There are no factory directs there that I know of but there are some local or regional wholesale manufacturers I included that make some latex mattresses (or latex hybrids) and sell through retail stores that may have some “better than average” value.

Phoenix