Natural Dunlop Mattresses near Seattle

HI there!

Thank you for your informative site. I have enjoyed reading everyone’s stories!

We are a few hours outside of Seattle. I know that you recommend trying mattresses in showrooms before buying, but we are considering Sleeping Organic in Charleston, NC. So (short of a long trip) we can’t try before we buy.

What are our thoughts? Any Seattle recommendations? We are thinking about a 8-9" natural dunlop mattress with an organic cotton/wool cover. Like Brandon’s “Leaf”, which is 3 layers of 3 inch latex. His prices seem very competitive.

Looking forward to your feedback!
Take care,
Laura

Hi buttercupbetty,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

I think highly of Brandon at SleepingOrganic (see post #2 here) but I agree it’s always a good idea to at least do some good local testing before considering a long distance or online purchase so you are more familiar with the differences in different types of layering and the “feel” of different types of latex.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Seattle area are listed in post #2 here and you would have the chance to test different versions of both Dunlop and Talalay mattresses.

Once you have decided on your finalists both locally and online then you will have some reference points about the options available to you and which of your final choices is the best “match” for your personal value equation.

Phoenix

We visited Seattle Natural Mattress yesterday (a branch of Mulligan’s Mattress in Portland, OR) and LOVED the 6" firm Dunlop core with 2" Dunlop soft topper. We almost bought it on the spot. And great customer service, by the way, from Tim.

But then we found what appears to be identical from Sleep On Latex for $561 less.

Anyone have experience with this company?

Hi buttercupbelly,

I hae talked with Karl at Sleeponlatex (they are also hahtauctions on ebay) and he is knowledgeable and will provide accurate information about the specifics of his products. I don’t believe they sell mattresses though … only individual layers and components.

There are many different types of latex that use different methods of manufacturing and have different blends of natural and synthetic latex with different costs (which you can read about in post #6 here). Unless two mattresses have the same type and blend of latex and the same design, layer thickness and firmness levels, and the same quilting and cover they aren’t likely to feel or perform in the exact same way in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You can read more about matching two mattresses in post #9 here.

Once you have eliminated the worst options and know the specific details of all the layers in each mattress you are considering … you can make more meaningful comparisons between them and make a final choice that is the best match for your specific criteria and risk tolerance.

Phoenix