Natural Latex Mattress for Child

Hi, I am shopping around for a natural latex mattress for my child, and have found below 4 sellers that all meet my general requirements and budget: 7 inch Natural Latex (6" Dunlop core+1" organic cotton/wool cover), certified, and full size with similar price around 1k. So what’s the next I can compare between them and select the best seller? I can’t find much review or ratings for them. Anyone has the purchasing experience with them or recommendations? Thank you for helping!

1. https://www.flexuscomfort.com
  2. https://latexmattressfactory.com
  3. Mygreenmattress.com
  4. https://sleeponlatex.com/

Hi lyqqz,

Hopefully some of the members here that own one of the mattresses you are considering will see your post and share their comments about their mattress.

Having said that … while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how your child will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

You are looking at some great options and any one of them would certainly be a very durable choice that would be very suitable for a child’s mattress in an appropriate firmness level. All of them are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Assuming that you are looking at the 7" natural latex mattress here … this is a component latex mattress with two 3" layers of 100% natural Dunlop in your choice of firmness and a zip cotton cover quilted with wool that allows you to fine tune the comfort and/or support of the mattress by rearranging the layers or exchanging a layer after a purchase. A component mattress would also allow you to replace a single layer if one of the layers softens or breaks down sooner than the others (usually the top layer) or if your child’s needs or preferences change over time without having to replace the entire mattress.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Latex Mattresses, Organic Latex Mattress, Pocket Coil Mattress - Flexus Comfort

These are all “finished” mattresses that include 6" of 100% natural Dunlop latex and a cotton cover quilted with wool as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which they are) and you have confirmed that none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you very much Phoenix. The problem is that I can’t test the 100% natural latex mattress in person and have to purchase online. Also this is for my child, who has only 3 years old and he couldn’t actually tell how he feels…

Another question about the firmness. I talked to some sellers: someone suggests “very firm” level for child considering bone growing (44ILD), and someone suggests “medium firm” enough considering child weights (30-32ILD). All for 6" Dunlop latex core. While I have thought or preferred Dunlop core with 36ILD firmness. Any advice how I select it for my child?

Hi lyqqz,

I completely agree that a young child wouldn’t be able to give any meaningful feedback about whether a mattress would be suitable to sleep on so the only real reason to test a mattress in person would be to test for things like edge support (if you sit on the edge of the mattress for “story time”) or if you or a guest plan to sleep on it from time to time … although a child will generally do better with a firmer mattress than many adults would be comfortable with.

While you won’t find a complete consensus about most things in the mattress industry including firmness levels for children … there are some general firmness guidelines for children in post #2 here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I think I can make decision now. I would like to buy from sleeponlatex.com. I called them asking about any sales for July 4th but they don’t have… So I just wonder how I apply the 5% membership discount?

Hi lyqqz,

As you know you are making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it.

All you need to do is let them know you are a member here and they will provide you with the discount code for your order.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. I have placed the order and will give the feedback once I receive it in about 5-7 business days. I learned a lot from this Forum and you are so knowledgeable and helpful! Thank you again!

Wondering how your little one likes the sleeponlatex bed and if you got firm, medium or soft?

I’m not lyqqz, but I went through a similar decision several months ago for my 3-year old. I ended up with a 7" mattress made up of 3" Firm (37-40 ILD) Dunlop on the bottom, 3" of Medium (30-32 ILD) Dunlop on top of that, and finally 1" of wool in the cover. It’s too firm for me, but he really likes it.

Hi mr-ben,

Thanks for your feedback and contribution, and congratulations on the new mattress for your son! :cheer:

You certainly made a good quality choice, and the firmness falls in line with the general sleep ergonomic research for a growing child.

Phoenix