Natural Latex

Just bought a PranaSleep 4th generation Vinyasa Plush. Upon seeing the material tag I am “Latex” confused. Bedding tag states: 81%, 19% Urethane. When buying this I was under the understanding that all the core and comfort layers were Latex. I also checked out Latex Internal site but am more confused than ever. What am I sleeping on Natural, blended or synthetic latex? I have read that blended latex has very good properties to it so that wouldn’t bother me too much.

First night on bed was somewhat good, I woke up 3 or 4 times but fell right back to sleep. My husband though did not fair as well, stated this moring he woke up every hour. Very concerned about that but he was trying out a new 4.5" med-soft latex pillow that sometime during the night switched it to the 3.5" med-soft pillow.

Is this just “new” bed adjustment or wrong mattress? I, overall like the bed but am very concerned about my husband.

The old bed that 14.5" years old was a Serta Perfect Sleeper, Brownstone series. Within the first year it sagged, 1.5" on one side and an 1.25 sag on the other so I knew I did not want another coil bed with a pillow top.

Yes, we paid too much for it but Buffalo NY is notoriuos for over priching and I was not thrilled with any of the Name Brand Latex options available in this area.

Comments?

Hi JP,

It seems to me that there is more than just latex in the mattress and unfortunately it is not so uncommon that various outlets or manufacturers “forget” some of the layers in their description. The law tag measures the content by weight and because the polyurethane is only 1/3 to 1/2 of the density of latex … the percentage of polyurethane would be even more when measured as a percentage of the thickness of the mattress.

The key is to find out where these layers are. If it is for example a 2" layer under the mattress … this would not be as big an issue (in terms of durability) and this is not uncommon to “stabilize” the mattress and protect the latex from damage. If on the other hand it includes polyfoam in the quilting or comfort layers … then this is something I would want to know and is more important in terms of becoming the weak link of the mattress. Since there is 8" of latex in the mattress according to their description … then the thickness of the mattress minus the 8" would at least give you an idea of how thick the polyfoam layer was. I would guess that it could be both on the bottom and on the top.

There is often an adjustment period of a few weeks when buying a new mattress … especially when it is considerably different from what you were used to. I don’t know if this is what is happening or if the layering of the mattress is not suitable for your husband’s weight, shape, and sleeping positions. It may help to know exactly what his “symptoms” are and if they are related to pressure relief, alignment, or just a change in feel that he is not used to. As you mentioned … a pillow can also play a role in this … particularly in symptoms that are more connected to the upper body, shoulders, and neck.

Sags and softening usually has little to do with the innerspring and much more to do with the foam that is used over them. This is why it’s so important to know about the quality and density of any memory foam or polyfoam in the upper layers of a mattress because this is normally the “weak link” of a mattress … not the innersprings. Pillowtops usually have even more low density polyfoam in them than other mattress styles which can make the softening and body impression issues even worse. It’s not so much the pillowtop style itself but the quality of the foam that is used in it.

I know it’s a little late for this but post #2 here includes a factory direct manufacturer that is close to Buffalo that offers good quality and value products including latex.

I tend to avoid the chain stores and name brands completely (or at least the larger ones) and stick with alternative smaller or better yet local brands and manufacturers that typically use higher quality materials and sell for lower prices.

Phoenix