Natural Mattress Store "Awareness" - My observations

FWIW … there is more information in this topic about disposing or recycling an old mattress.[/quote]

Thanks, ya I’ll check it out. I hadn’t found any local charities yet that would take it. And of course places like 1-800-GOT-JUNK are going to charge fees.

Some of the page is certainly funny but some of it is really misleading information and speaks more negatively about their own knowledge than it does about some of their competitors. They are also referring to themselves as having an organic mattress when they only have mattresses that contain some organic components (at least OMI (Organicpedic) is one of only two manufacturers that actually does have some have certified organic mattresses). I’m also still trying to figure out how these two statements can be in the same paragraph …
[/quote]

This is news to me, as a run-of-the-mill shopper who has done a fair but not extreme amount of reading. I’ll gladly search the forum to see who the other certified organic mattress manufacturer is. But pretty much all internet dealers I’ve seen also simply label their mattresses as “organic”. Not “contains some organic parts”. They’re all using “natural” and “organic” interchangeably when referring to their Talalay for example. NMS has the GOTS cert and the Latex International certificate indicating the use of natural rubber. I’m satisfied by this. Now the OMI mattress I liked was 2X (yes 100% more expensive) than the NMS “Awareness”, and was Talalay (not organic). And I honestly wonder how many consumers are really willing to pay 2X for the extra certifications carried by OMI. I’m very certainly not. I suspect many folks like the concept of something that is “all natural” and are willing to bear a modest incremental cost for it vs synthetic alternatives. But even that probably has minor tangible benefits if any. Me… I’ve set out to find a comfortable and durable mattress, and a big bonus of these natural mattresses also happens to be the lack of fire-retardant chemicals - VOCs. Beyond that, 100% organic vs mostly organic… I personally do not care, and I’m definitely not willing to double the price for it!!

[quote][quote]We are not interested in trying to guess at your comfort level in a phone conversation. We manufacture and sell our mattresses in the bay area. We want you to come to one of our stores and take your time in choosing the organic mattress that is just right for your comfort and support.

However, if you don’t live in the bay area and want to sleep on an Eco-Cloud mattress, but don’t know which one to choose call us. We have developed a precise system for estimating which one will work best for you.[/quote]

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding when you pull the trigger.

Phoenix[/quote]

Ya, I saw that. It could have been worded much better. Clearly they meant to say they prefer to avoid mail orders, but will work with you if you insist. And I saw other mistakes. How about this one: “latex is virtually inhabitable for dust mites.” Heh. Clearly they meant “uninhabitable”. They do have some proofreading to do, don’t they! I can let it slide.