Natural/Organic Latex Questions

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the market for a new mattress and have been doing lots of research. I’ve learned a lot from your mattress forum! Tons of great info - thanks! We’re still trying to decide between a natural/organic latex mattress and an organic innerspring (or innerspring latex combo).

My husband is skeptical about the latex - thinks it’s going to be hot. He tends to be warm/hot most of the time anyhow, so do the 100% natural/organic latex sleep hot? Or is it more of the synthetic blended latex that’s hot? I’ve seen some conflicting info. Is there anything you can do to make them feel less hot?

I’m also considering a split configuration since he likes very firm and I like it a bit softer. Is the split a problem? I’ve read where some people say that you can you can feel the split and that the layers of latex really don’t stay in place. Is that true?

For the latex option…I’m deciding between Sleep Ez and Flobeds (it sounds like both their dunlop and talalay are comparable - I really want high quality 100% natural/organic latex). Was looking at the botanical bliss from plushbeds, but from what I’ve read their quality may not be quite as good. And SavvyRest is nice too (actually tried some of those out in a local showroom), but they don’t have a return policy, just a comfort exchange policy. Just can’t afford to get stuck with a latex mattress if my husband ends up hating it.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks very much!
Jennifer

Hi jennifer,

Latex in general (synthetic or natural) is the most breathable type of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam) so it will help regulate temperature better than a mattress that uses other types of foam in the comfort layers regardless of whether the support layer is an innerspring, polyfoam, or latex. Having said that … natural fibers are more breathable and temperature regulating than any type of foam. There is more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and the type of mattress cover/ticking, the quilting materials, the mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding will all combine together to have a significant effect on the temperature regulation of a mattress outside of the effect of just the foam itself but overall latex is the most breathable and most temperature regulating foam material.

In normal use and with a suitable tight fitting quilted cover it’s not an issue no. You can read more about split layers in post #2 here.

I would make sure you have a more detailed conversation on the phone with any online manufacturer you are considering (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). All the options you are considering use good quality materials and don’t have any weak links. I would first make sure you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the type and blend of the latex (and the amount) and the type of cover and quilting so you are making apples to apples comparisons. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons.

When you are comparing “good to good” and there are no clear winners between them then your final choice would really depend on how they compare based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including price and the options you have before and after a purchase) and your confidence that your choice will be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) either initially or with rearranging or exchanging layers.

Phoenix

I’ve been reading a lot as well and I still haven’t decided on a mattress. I had a pleasant visit in a showroom as well (Urban Mattress if you’re in the area i’d advice to go and talk to them) and tried a few mattresses myself. My advice would be to visit a few other showrooms and have a nice chat with the staff telling them both yours and your husbands preferences. I’m going to look at another showroom today hoping I can decide on something in the next couple of days.

Thanks a lot! Haven’t come across Urban Mattress yet - will definitely check them out. Seems like they have a couple of organic/natural choices.