Natural Talalay Latex Vs. Blended Talalay For Longevity

Hi There! Have been seriously thinking about replacing our three year old memory foam topper with either natural or blended latex. We live in Arizona where it is hot, and the memory foam isn’t cutting it. It’s starting to leave two sagging impressions where we usually lie. I weigh around 140 and my husband is 165 and I’m tired of toppers beginning to sag before their time. Our mattress below is a firm Sealy with no pillowtop and no sagging of its’ own. Would like any comments as to the best route to go between the natural or blended Latex. I talked to Chuck from Dreamfoam and he was very helpful in recommending the 24 ILD to keep my shoulders from falling asleep. Not sure if I want to go softer than that. Also interested in the 3" thickness. Thanks for your time!

Hi rmerrick,

Post #2 here has more details and my thoughts about the specific comparison between 100% natural and blended talalay.

As you can see … in the lower ILD’s (less than mid 20’s or so) I would give the durability edge to blended talalay although both are good quality materials.

Interestingly enough … latex International specifically says that their 100% natural will be less durable than the blend while in my conversations with Radium in Holland about this specific subject they told me that they believe that their 100% natural is equally as durable as the blend even in lower ILD’s because their 100% natural has a smaller cell size than the blend which would give it more durability even though natural rubber will soften a little more than the blended rubber.

Feedback from manufacturers based on their experience though indicates that for the most part they don’t trust the durability of 100% natural Talalay latex as much as the blend in lower ILD’s. Regardless of the type of Talalay though … Lower ILD’s (in all materials) will be less durable than firmer versions of the same material. It’s also important to put this in the context of comparing different types of latex with each other because most latex (regardless of type or blend) will be more durable than most other types of foam materials.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix for all the great info. In regards to “breatheability”, is the blended Talalay hotter to sleep on? and does it have that oily petroleum smell like the memory foam?

Hi rmerrick,

Talalay (blended or natural) is among the most breathable of all the foam materials and generally sleeps cool for most people. Keep in mind though that there are many factors involved in the temperature regulation of a mattress besides just the foam used so even cooler sleeping foam can sleep warmer for some people depending on the combination of materials and layering (including the bedding) that is in your sleep system (see post #2 here).

Both of them also have a kind of “sweet” smell (some describe it as like sugar cookies and some as a little like vanilla among other “sweet” comparisons).

Phoenix

That’s good to hear that even the blended Talalay is breatheable and smells good. I am still waiting for my samples from FBM and not really sure if they were even sent. I’m leaning more with going with the blended talalay from Brooklyn Bedding in the 24 ILD firmness. I will give them ( FBM) a few more days regarding the samples. Thanks for all your great info and super fast response to every-ones’ questions! You must even have dreams about mattresses all the time!! LOL

Hi rmerrick,

You’re very welcome … and sometimes dreams and sometimes nightmares :slight_smile:

Phoenix