Natural Talalay Soft Top Layer Durability Concern?

I’ve just ordered a 3 x 3" layer king mattress from SleepingOrganic (which happens to be local for me) in a 100% Natural Talalay Soft top, 100% Natural Dunlop medium middle, and 100% Natural Dunlop firm bottom. We are getting it in a split configuration for future adjustment/flexibility even though right now the layers are the same on the left and right side. I am 6’ 1" and 210lbs and my wife is 5’ 7" and 155lbs. We tried a few configurations in the showroom and most of them felt pretty good. The Talalay soft felt the best to each us but to be honest I don’t know if we could pick it out in a blind test vs. the Dunlop soft.

We won’t get the mattress for another week or so but I’ve been doing some post-purchase thinking. We were originally planning to buy a similar bed from SleepEZ but using a blended Talalay on the top. SleepingOrganic really worked with us to keep the business local so we went with them instead and now my only concern is the durability of the 100% Natural Talalay Soft top layer on my side (210lbs). Is this something I should be worried about wearing out in the next 5-10yrs? I know blended Talalay and Dunlop are more durable in the softer ILDs (this one is rated 19-23 by the way) but practically speaking for my weight and being a side/back sleeper should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Hi tubed4evr,

Any type or blend of latex is a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam materials and while 100% natural Talalay may be a little bit less durable than the blend … it’s not something that would concern me no.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

A component mattress also has the advantage of being able to replace just a single layer if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the softer top layer) or if your needs or preferences change down the road without having to replace the entire mattress.

Phoenix

Hi tubed4ever,
I too, have your same concerns about the softer latex, especially the natural organic soft Talalay layer. I am in a city where I did not have many options to try out before buying. I do have a Savvy Rest and I tried theirs. They are heaven, I absolutely loved their beds, but not the price. I could not possibly fit in my budget, at this time…(live in an old home and constantly needing help)…LOL
I read here and I came to the conclusion that the Sleep EZ would be the closest latex to the SR, not to mention the years they have been in business, researched where their latex came from etc. and my findings were very similar and the price and customer service (Shawn) is awesome. I’m not trying to talk you out of the place that you are looking at, as I know nothing about them. I did research around 2 years, before I lunged in. I have ADD and that’s the way my brain works, plus I did NOT want to make a mistake on this bed as my last bed (not latex) was a complete lemon…one of those S brands and springs. Not doing that again, seems everything is made so cheap and inferior, these days, as is my new Bosch dishwasher…expensive, cheap materials and I hate it…Off subject, sorry!
Make sure they give you a period of time to try the bed and that you can exchange a layer if necessary. I bought a queen, all natural organic with split sides, even though I’m the only one sleeping on it! I am 5’7" 165 and I thought I would want firm over soft and had I bought blindsided, I would have bought a firm something. I am a side sleeper and often wake with numb arms. I went with soft Talalay, Med. Dunlop, Fiirm Dunlop, then the other side, Soft Talalay, Soft Dunlop, Firm Dunlop. (This was the set up that I liked at SR.) I have had the bed for 2 months and I have given each side about a month each and I can honestly say, I prefer the soft, soft, firm! I still can’t believe and I am afraid of the soft, especially the Talalay not lasting or diveting, etc. sooner than I want, so I’m really wanting to like the other side, but I find when I wake up, my shoulder is sore and some mornings too much tension in hip area. It doesn’t help that I have a 12#cat that likes to sleep on my side, so hard to get a true “reading” on the firmer side!! I can get a layer exchange in the first 90 days, so I’m thinking of trying the soft Talalay, Med. Talaly, firm Dunlop. I will be swapping the Med. Dunlop for the Med. Talalay, thinking maybe I need the extra buoyancy from the Talalaly that the Med. Dunlop is not giving me. Had no idea, that’s what I would prefer…always firm firm firm, I THOUGHT!!! I guess the reason, I’m going into all this detail, is I’m like you it is expensive, but necessary purchase and I didn’t want to get burned again and our health relies on getting a good night’s sleep. I have never slept better, (especially on the more buoyant side) and am wondering about the life of the Talalay and not wanting to replace anytime in the next few years! Iam looking for longevity as well as comfort and so far, I’m tickled with my purchase! One last side note…I had found a local bedding company that makes their beds(locally) and in latex,but only Dunlop, with horrible covers! I was so impressed to find locally, but there was no configuring your own layers and the beds were so UNCOMFORTABLE, SO, moral to the story, not all latex beds are created equal and you must research and research some more. Shawn at Sleep EZ, is wonderful, helpful, does not over sell his products and I would refer anyone to him! I’m not finished with mine,but he is very helpful and accommodating. Please write back on what you end up with and good luck!!!