Natural vs. blended latex, Talalay vs. Dunlop

I wish I would have done more research before I ordered my mattress from SleepEZ. But they have a great return policy so I’m thinking that I want a ‘natural’ latex mattress vs. the blended that I have and initially responded negatively to. I have been highly chemically sensitive in the past but that has improved.

1. DN and ButtercupBetty gave me great input on Dunlop having more rubber in it than Talalay. My question is does Organic Green latex (like Arizona mattress offers) vary that much from Natural latex?

2. Since Dunlop has more rubber than Talalay, how would the feel equate since Dunlop is denser and Talalay is lighter? Right now I have a 3" Dunlop base, 3" Tal. medium and 2" soft Tal. on top which feels fine although I’m thinking I might want something a tad firmer. I look forward to a recipe from ya’ll!

3. 6"+2" (AZ) vs. 3-3-2 (SleepEz)? Seems like you would have more room for getting the right feel with 3-3-2.

Thanks much for everyone’s in put~

Hi Ms. Natural,

I would keep in mind that the blended Talalay is tested to the same standards for harmful substances and offgassing as the 100% natural Talalay (OekoTex standard 100). It would be very unusual that someone … chemically sensitive or otherwise … had a reaction to either one (even people with MCS usually do very well with blended latex).

This isn’t necessarily the case. Both Dunlop and Talalay can either use blended rubber (a combination of synthetic and natural rubber) or 100% natural rubber (that contains no synthetic rubber at all regardless of which manufacturing method is used). Both methods of manufacturing use other ingredients in their compounding formula except Talalay omits the chemicals used as a gelling agent with Dunlop (usually sodium silicofluoride is the primary gelling agent) and uses carbon dioxide in a vacuum chamber instead.

Dunlop latex is a denser material because of how it’s foamed and manufactured so it would be heavier (more latex and less air in the core) but none of the latex manufacturers release their compounding formula so based on volume (the percentage content of natural rubber in a material) I would be very careful before assuming that all 100% natural Dunlop has more latex in it than all 100% natural Talalay because it may not be correct.

The organic latex from Latex Green (which SleepEz also has as an option for those who wish to use it) is the same as the Latex Green 100% natural Dunlop in terms of the way it’s made. The difference is that the rubber for the organic version comes from a certified plantation and the raw latex material and the production of the latex core has an organic certification. You can read more about organic latex in post #6 here. In terms of natural rubber content or performance it would be the same as their 100% natural Dunlop latex.

Dunlop is generally firmer in the same ILD because the compression modulus is higher (it gets firmer faster as you sink into it more deeply). If a specific layer is compressed by 25% of its thickness they would be the same. With less compression the Talalay would be firmer and with more compression the Dunlop would be firmer. Keep in mind that your body is not evenly proportioned and different parts of a mattress will compress different amounts depending on the weight and surface area of a specific part of the body. If you want a firmer mattress then it would depend on whether you are looking for a firmer sleeping surface or firmer support layers. There are different types of firmness/softness (see post #15 here). Re-arranging the latex or a layer exchange can change the firmness levels of both (pressure relief or support) and both types of latex come in a range of firmness levels. Post #7 here may also give you a sense of the difference in how they "feel but your own personal experience is the best way to know for sure which one you prefer.

If you are looking to change the “feel” of your mattress the first step I would take is a conversation with SleepEz so that you can take advantage of their experience in fine tuning their mattresses although I would make sure you have slept on it for several weeks first because the initial break in and adjustment period with a new mattress can change how the mattress feels.

Phoenix

I’m trying to decide on a topper, but I have a dilemma. I think I’d like to try a 2" dunlop like this one here:

It is returnable if purchased through INVIGO… (nonetheless, it’s a pain to return.)

It is a less dense, softer dunlop, but it is mostly synthetic, 80%. I know that it passes the safety tests, but styrene concerns me. When you search it, there are concerns about it’s health affects. My mattress is 100% talalay and I think I have not had any bad reactions from it… but I do need a thin soft topper for comfort, I just don’t know what material to buy. Everyone says that the softest talalay, N1, is too soft and won’ be very durable. I tried an N2 3" and thought it felt hard somehow. A blended latex, like the link above, or a 2" 19 ILD Talatech, seems like it might work for me, but I am afraid of the styrene.

Hi Ms. Natural,

Since I’m quoted…

1. Re talalay vs Dunlop, I’d personally decide based on PPP and comfort. They do feel and perform different. Of course, if you feel blended is making you sick, then that’d be the preference portion of PPP.

2. The basis of my info (that A final piece of 100% natural rubber Dunlop contains a higher percentage of natural rubber than 100% natural rubber talalay) comes from a member of the forum here (tmasc), as well as the same research you’re no doubt doing where the ‘premium’ natural/organic Dunlop companies make that or similar claims. However, Phoenix makes an excellent point and it’s a worthwhile comment - I’ve not seen any scientific report of the actual makeup of a final piece of either Dunlop or talalay to validate that claim. (I have seen both Oeko-tex and eco institut reports and various chemical analysis reports as to the safety of both).

And statistics, bloody statistics: Dunlop is denser and uses more latex than talalay. It’s therefore entirely possible that by mass, both Dunlop and talalay contain an equal amount of non-natural/non-latex material (which would still allow the above statement re percentages to hold true, since by mass a piece of Dunlop latex with a similar firmness to a piece of talalay latex will have more latex).

1. Disclosures. I do not have any chemical sensitivities that I know about. I have bedding materials in all varieties, including all natural Dunlop (green sleep), blended talalay from latex international, memory foam, polyfoam, wool, cotton, etc. I usually prefer/require Oeko-tex 100 or CertiPUR (depending on material), or a similar certification (which, as Phoenix noted, blended latex almost always has equal to natural latex).

Hi Diane37,

Synthetic latex isn’t Styrene … it’s Styrene Butadiene which is a co-polymer (not a monomer) and the two are co-polymerized and fully reacted together. It’s like salt which is Sodium and Chloride which is different from either Sodium or Chlorine (which can be harmful by itself).

IMO … the best way to determine the “safety” of a material is with the testing certification it has (otherwise you would need a degree in material science or chemical engineering to answer these types of questions from a more technical level) but no matter how safe a material may be each person needs to answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” or decide on their comfort level with a certain material on an individual basis.

As an example …

You can see a material safety data sheet for styrene butadiene co-polymer here.

You can see the material safety data sheet for polyisoprene (the main ingredient in natural rubber) here.

Phoenix

@Ms Natural

You can likely immediately try a slightly firmer feel. If you reverse your soft and medium talalay layers, it would likely firm up a bit. Then you can test at home and give it a try - I.e. Put the med talalay on top :slight_smile: