Natural Vs Blended Talalay

I’m confused about all the conflicting information I’ve been reading about the longevity of Talalay latex.
I’ve read that blended Talalay made from about 70% synthetic 30% natural latex will have better longevity than 100% natural Talalay latex.

I’ve read that 100% natural Talalay latex.will have better longevity than blended Talalay made from about 70% synthetic 30% natural latex.

I’ve also read that the Talalay made with 100% natural latex will have a more compliant feel than blended Talalay.
I’ve read that you can’t tell the different when laying on 100% natural vs blended Talalay latex.

I plan to purchase a component mattress online with (3) unglued 3" layers of latex with zip on cover
(1) Talalay comfort layer (soft)
(2) Dunlap core layers (medium, firm)

The difference between 100% natural and blended Talalay is only $100 so the cost is not an issue, I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable can provide some guidance. I’ve been reading as much as I can but keep seeing conflicting information. Please advise…

Hi pungo,

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and any type or blend of latex will be a durable material relative to other types of foam materials. There is more about all the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about how 100% natural Talalay compares to blended Talalay in post #2 here.

In terms of how they feel … some people would be able to tell the difference between blended Talalay and 100% natural Talalay and some people wouldn’t. It would be more likely that you would feel a difference if all the layers in a mattress were either one material or the other rather than just a single layer of each.

The bottom line is that I wouldn’t consider any type or blend of latex to be a weak link in a mattress but if you are looking at the softest versions of latex (with an ILD in the teens) and if the latex comes from Talalay Global then I would give the edge in terms of durability to blended Talalay vs 100% natural Talalay. With Radium Talalay I would consider them to be closely comparable although any softer version of any material will be less durable than a firmer version of the same material.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply and links. There’s a Savvy Rest local to me so we’re going to test what they have to get a feel for what we like. I’ve been looking at SleepEZ. and FoanSweetFoam. I’m be purchasing a 10" split king with an adjustable base since that seems like a good thickness for my weight. I’m 6’2" 225lbs and my wife is 5’4" at 120 lbs so she’ll probably be getting a soft Talalay comfort layer while I’ll probably get a medium Talalay comfort layer. I’m thinking medium Dunlap for the top core layer and firm for the bottom core layer on both beds that way we can periodically swap the comfort layers from bed to bed for more even wear. Those are the suggested layering when I enter our height/weight into configurator on the SleepEZ website. We’re both side and back sleepers.

I just came down with lower lumber disc issues so that’s why I started looking for a new bed to help keep my back aligned. I’ll be coming from an older high end though wore out Sterns and Foster so this will be quiet different although when I visit my parents, we sleep on a 25 year old latex mattress.

Your web site is such a valuable wealth of knowledge. I have really leaned allot so I can now go shopping as a well educated shopper, know what I’m looking for and what questions to ask.

Hi pungo,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you are testing a mattress in person I would avoid any preconceptions about which combination or which type of latex would be the best “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and use your own careful testing to decide on the combination that works best for each of you.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

As you probably know both SleepEZ and Foam Sweet Foam are members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and they would certainly make great quality/value choices.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course to any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Update: I went to Savvy Rest today to test latex mattresses. They have nearly every combination of firmness in both Talalay, Dunlop and mixed and matched with different ones on each side of king beds. It was the perfect opportunity to test the various combinations. My wife and I spent a while try all different combinations using the Five steps to your perfect mattress and narrowed it to two combinations then down to our final selection. Went home and discussed it then called SleepEZ and ordered (2) of their 10" Organic Latex Mattress 10,000 Twin XL for half the price of Savvy Rest even with the 15% off Savvy was offering us. I used the 5% off for being a mattress underground member, thanks, They also took an additional $200 off since I bought a Reverie 5D at the same time and the mattresses where on sale for $200 less each. I was surprised that selecting 100% Latex Talalay layers did not cost any more than selecting 100% latex Dunlop layers.
What a great value. The person I spoke with, Jody, was super knowledgeable and walked me through all the options and verified my selections of Latex type and firmness were inline with our weights and sleeping style. I was very impress with the SleepEZ’s ordering process. Now I just have to wait to receive everything.

Hers 125 lbs

Top= Soft Talalay
Middle = Medium Talalay
Bottom = Firm Dunlop

His 225 lbs

Top= Medium Talalay
Middle = Medium Talalay
Bottom = Firm Dunlop

Hi pungo,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with all your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s good to see that you did some careful testing and as you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

100% natural Talalay is usually more costly than either 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay but when I talked with them recently they told me that they had more 100% natural Talalay layers in stock than they usually do so their prices are currently lower than they normally are … which of course is a extra bonus.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix