Naturepedic EOS Classic tweaking

hi phoenix. thanks for all your advice in the industry. i want to throw a challenge out to you and/or the community on here. I recently purchased a naturepedic eos classic mattress. tried all sorts fromsavvy rest, to flobeds, to berkeley ergo/ european sleep works, to conventional, to casper, to reverie, to memory foam. but the naturepedics in-store comfort and being really impressed with the construction and flexibility that led me to select the naturepedic eos.

one thing that became obvious is that the official naturepedic offerings lacked a goldilocks “medium” their official “cushion firm” was quite firm and the next softer was super plush. nothing “medium”. but because of their design, you have 2 choices of coil gauge (plush and firm), and 3 choices of foam density (soft, med and firm). they let you mix and match and have a 90 day layer swap, so i picked 2 of my own configs to fill that gap in their official lineup

below are the configs i tried in order of firmness. #2 and #3 are the two i chose (left and right), since i couldn’t make up my mind in the store.

[ol]
[li]-naturepedic “plush” – plush coils / soft latex. this was too soft for my liking.[/li]
[li]-my own “medium” – plush coils / med latex. this seemed good in store, but might feel a little soft in practice.[/li]
[li]-my own “medium+” – plush coils / firm latex. this was noticeably softer than naturepedic’s “cushion firm”. but in practice maybe feels too firm. wondering if it/I just needs some break-in time to soften up a bit.[/li]
[li]-naturepedic “cushion firm” -firm coils / soft latex. this felt too firm in the store.[/li]

but as everyone experiences, no matter how much research you do and trying in store, noting gives you the true test other than actual sleep over a long enough time. though i probably haven’t given enough time on either to make a truly experienced decision, my preliminary assessment is that something in between my #2 and #3 would be ideal.

as you know it’s not just the comfort layer that contributes to the feel, the support layer plays a tremendous role in the the overall feel. further evidenced by their “cushion firm” with soft latex feeling significantly firmer than my own two “mediums” which both had firmer foams but with softer coils.

soo…. long story short, looking for ideas to find that in between i want that don’t break the bank and also don’t end up masking the feel aspects that i do indeed like about their mattress. there are obvious options like a topper or a different foam like a MED-FIRM, but they don’t offer that.

i am really fascinated by the effect of the spring’s stiffness on the feel of the soft latex in #4 “cushion firm”, compared to my “medium” with medium latex. so ever so slightly stiffening up the the coil’s contribution in my #2 “medium” config is what i think i want to achieve. obviously i can’t change the actual stiffness, but here are some of my ideas and welcome your feedback or additional ideas.

• put a thin layer of something between the coils and latex. what comes to mind is a â…›" to ÂĽ" of wool felt. this wouldn’t be enough to significantly compress the springs, but might lessen the spring’s reaction to pressure, thus in my mind might make the overall firmness a little stiffer.
  • -or- adding maybe 1" of some sort of foam to the bottom (underneath the coils) to partially compress the springs. I think berkeley ergonomics and/or europpean sleep works in berkeley do this in some of their offerings. my thinking is that if the springs are partially compressed, they will be a little stiffer. i thinnnk there would be enough room in the casing to achieve this, but this might also have other unforeseen consequences if everything in the casing is under greater compression.

your’s or anyone’s input is welcomed.

Hi deuxcv,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!

I would keep in mind that “comfort” is completely subjective and a mattress that is “comfortable” for one person may be uncomfortable for someone else. While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … You are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range. In other words … the “bottom line” is that the only reliable way to know whether any specific mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal experience when you sleep on it, regardless of how anyone else may “rate” the same mattress (which you already alluded to in the middle of your post).

[quote]below are the configs i tried in order of firmness. #2 and #3 are the two i chose (left and right), since i couldn’t make up my mind in the store.

1. -naturepedic “plush” – plush coils / soft latex. this was too soft for my liking.
  2. -my own “medium” – plush coils / med latex. this seemed good in store, but might feel a little soft in practice.
  3. -my own “medium+” – plush coils / firm latex. this was noticeably softer than naturepedic’s “cushion firm”. but in practice maybe feels too firm. wondering if it/I just needs some break-in time to soften up a bit.
    -naturepedic “cushion firm” -firm coils / soft latex. this felt too firm in the store.

i am really fascinated by the effect of the spring’s stiffness on the feel of the soft latex in #4[/quote]

Did you try out a firm spring with the medium latex on top? I think what you really may be experiencing in #4 isn’t the firm springs “stiffening up” the feel of the soft latex, but in actuality the soft latex allowing you to “sink in” and “feel” more of the firm springs. I’m guessing you can’t change out the spring unit. If you could, you might be surprised that by placing a bit of a firmer latex on top of the firm unit that it actually could be a more comfortable “firm” feel than #4.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful in understanding their relationship.

How long have you had the mattress?

i[quote] can’t change the actual stiffness, but here are some of my ideas and welcome your feedback or additional ideas.
put a thin layer of something between the coils and latex. what comes to mind is a ⅛" to ¼" of wool felt. this wouldn’t be enough to significantly compress the springs, but might lessen the spring’s reaction to pressure, thus in my mind might make the overall firmness a little stiffer.[/quote]

This might actually stiffen up the transition from the upper comfort layer to the spring unit, resulting in a bit more of a delineated/abrupt transition from comfort layer to spring unit. I can’t speak to how this might feel as there are quite a few variables with what you would place between the foam and the spring unit.

or[quote]- adding maybe 1" of some sort of foam to the bottom (underneath the coils) to partially compress the springs. I think berkeley ergonomics and/or europpean sleep works in berkeley do this in some of their offerings. my thinking is that if the springs are partially compressed, they will be a little stiffer. i thinnnk there would be enough room in the casing to achieve this, but this might also have other unforeseen consequences if everything in the casing is under greater compression.[/quote]

Since you can’t change out the spring unit, this might be a more viable option. I wouldn’t worry too much about the covering of the EOS not being able to handle the stress of an extra 1" of padding inside, as it is a durable covering. Depending upon the progressiveness of the spring unit, this “precompression” could firm up the spring unit a bit. Realize that it will also “precompress” the foam a bit as well, as you’ll be putting the entire interior contents under a bit of additional stress. Adding this layer of foam would be different from placing the innerspring unit in more compact fabric encasements, where only the spring unit would be compressed. I’d be interested in learning about how this turned out if you decide to go this route. You’d want to make sure that you used a foam with a higher ILD and good density.

You’re starting to enter into a bit of a partial DIY area, so the experimentation could be a fun adventure, especially if you’re not spending too much money on additional componentry.

I’ll be interested in learning what you decide to do.

Phoenix

i did not try that config, but firm coil / med latex is naturepedic’s “firm” configuration, which wasn’t on my radar

a little less than 3 weeks with about a week of that being out of town. of the remaining time, splitting time between the 2 sides.

i will continue a bit longer on the two configs i have, meanwhile trying a folded in half wool felt puddle pad between the coils and foam as a first test to see if i want to pursue that experiment.

after another couple weeks of trial, i might order a twin xl piece of soft or medium or firm latex to but beneath the coils on the #2 “medium” config. maybe soft or med dunlop would give me most bang for my experimenting buck as i can use for this and the experiment below.

and last i might try twin xl piece of soft or medium latex to put on TOP of the FIRM foam in my #3 “medium+” config.

i’m a tinkerer by nature, so yes, this will be fun and interesting. can you link me to sites with

Hi deuxcv,

Thanks for your replies.

There really is no consensus of terminology within the industry of “cushion firm” or “firm”, so in situations like this it’s better to use the terminology as comparing one item relative to another, gradually moving up or down the scale of “surface hardness.” It would have been interesting to know what you thought of that combination.

You are correct that you really haven’t had the product long enough to adjust, and if you’re able to try it out a bit more I think you’ll get a better understanding of your comfort preference.

That will of course allow for less “conformation” of the spring unit/foam marriage. This can create a bit of a firmer feel in your upper comfort layer (as it won’t as readily contour to the spring unit) and also can make the transition from latex to spring unit a bit more “abrupt”. Moving the pad higher up (directly on top of the upper latex layer) can also increase the firmness of the surface comfort, but of course you’ll lose some of that contouring feel of the latex. Layer changes closer to your sleeping surface will be felt more readily than changes made deeper in the construction of the mattress.

When considering “overstuffing” the mattress encasement, the lower ILD componentry will be compressed the most. While the compressive force will be distributed throughout the entire product, the upper upholstery layers will tend to compress the most, with the least amount of compression happening with the spring unit. Using a firmer piece of latex beneath the spring unit would allow for mostly precompression of the medium Dunlop layer on top, which could result in an overall slightly firmer feel. Using a softer layer under the spring unit when “overstuffing” would precompress the softer layer underneath the spring unit mostly, and can actually result in a bit of an overall softer sensation. Much of this depends upon how tight the outer cover actually precompresses the overall completed inner components.

I’d be interested in this combination, as the layers closer to the top of the completed mattress will have the greatest impact.

The last part of your post wasn’t complete, so I’m not sure what you were asking.

Keep us updated.

Phoenix

*can you link me to sites for DIY foam. sleeponlatex.com via amazon looks the easiest thus far.

Hi deuxcv,

Post #4 here has a list of component suppliers.

Phoenix