Nature's Legacy Latex Mattress (manufactured by White Dove)

Hello my name is Dan and I’m in the market for a new mattress… currently I’m sleeping on a 16 year old spring coil mattress in which I wake up stiff and unrested every morning.
I’ve been doing a little bit of research for mattresses that are good for lower back pain as I’ve suffered a herniated disc a few years ago and am plagued with back pain frequently.

So far from my searches I seem to like what I’m reading about regarding the natural latex mattresses. I’ve stopped into 3 mattress stores so far here’s my favorites.
• Sleep number P5
• Serta iConfort hybrid
• Nature’s Legacy natural latex (my favorite) made by White Dove in Cleveland, OH

The Nature’s Legacy latex was the most comfortable to me but also the most expensive at around $2200. I don’t know all the specifics of it as I can’t seem to find a whole lot of info regarding it on the internet. I am familiar with the White Dove manufacturer as I remember staying at a fancy hotel in Toledo and had an amazing night’s sleep and I remember pulling back the sheets to find the mattress manufacturer and it was White Dove.

Any info or experiences with the Nature’s Legacy would be appreciated… today I am going to stop by Denver Mattress on my way home from work and check out their iChoice which the lady on the phone told me is latex foam.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi dsandys,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and avoid the worst ones.

You can read my thoughts about airbeds in this article.

This is one of the major manufacturers I would tend to avoid.

White Dove Nature’s Legacy mattresses use some good quality materials (you can see an example here). A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it though and I don’t know the specifics of the mattress you are considering so I would make sure you know the details of all the layers and materials in any mattress you purchase so you can identify any weak links and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. If you can post the details of its construction here … I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the mattress you are looking at.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thank you for the quick reply… I took a look at some of the info you sent me.

I think I’ve completely decided on a Latex Mattress… I just love the feel of it. Since my original post I’ve tested the Denver Mattress iChoice Latex which was very comfortable as well. Also the Nature’s Legacy mattress is the exact model “Whitehall” that was described in the link you sent me.

I will also mention that I’m 5’9" 180lbs, active runner & weight lifter. I typically like falling asleep on my stomach though I know that’s not best for my back problems so I’ve been trying to sleep on my back or side instead.

So right now my top 3 options are as follows:

A) Nature’s Legacy “Whitehall” by White Dove = $2673 (mattress, box, & delivery)

Materials referenced from link provided by Phoenix here.

20 year warranty

6" HD polyfoam, 2.1 lb, 30 ILD
1" HD polyfoam, 1.8 lb, 20 ILD
3" Talalay latex, 32 ILD
2" Talalay latex, 19 ILD
1" Celsian latex topper (described as a latex blend with temperature regulating qualities) – made by Latex Intl
Bamboo stretch cover.
Boxspring: “High Profile Nature’s Legacy foundation”
I attached a few pics.

B.) Denver Mattress iChoice Latex = $2399 (mattress, box, & delivery)

Materials pulled from Denver Mattresses website.
Additional Information

15 Year Non-Prorated Warranty

3" Talalay Latex Top
Quilt Layers:
Stretch Knit Ticking
2" 24 ILD Talalay Latex
1" 1.35 Density Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier
Support System:
4" 32 ILD Talalay Latex Core
3" 1.8lb High Resilient Foam

C) Online seller… currently looking at this: Sleep Organic: The Leaf 10″ 3 Layer Organic Latex Mattress = $2470 (mattress, foundation with 2.75" slats, 2 shredded latex pillows, & free delivery)

20 Year Warranty

•Total of 9″ 100% Natural Dunlop or Natural Talalay latex
•(3) Individual 3″ Latex Layers
•NO Glues or Binders
•Mattress covered finishes approx. 10″ high
•100% Organic cotton zipper-off cover, filled with 4oz of 100% organic wool
•100% Wool FR (Fire Barrier) NO Chemicals!
•Organic cotton and wool certified by Gotts
•Organic Latex certified by USDA

I’m struggling with the idea of ordering a mattress off the internet without getting to lay on it first :dry:

Any insight on my 3 options listed above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Hi dsandys,

All of the options you are considering use good quality durable materials and there are no obvious weak links in any of them. The only “lower quality” material in any of them is the 1" layer of 1.35 lb polyfoam in the iChoice but this is inside the guidelines I generally use of “no more than an inch or so of lower quality or unknown foam” in a mattress and it is also deeper in the mattress (underneath 5" of latex) so it would be less subject to the mechanical stress of sleeping so both of these together means that it will have a negligible effect on durability.

I generally make “mattress only to mattress only” comparisons so that any differences in the type or cost of the foundations don’t skew the comparisons (any suitable foundation can be used under a mattress) but the two local options you are considering would both make good choices and I would choose between them based on the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you. In terms of the “material value” of both mattresses … the iChoice would probably have the edge because it has more latex inside it and also has a separate topper which can be replaced without replacing the whole mattress if that ever becomes necessary but these would be secondary to which mattress is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP because the quality of your sleep will be more important over the years than relatively small differences in price when you make the initial purchase … assuming both are inside a budget range you are comfortable with.

The 9" mattress from SleepingOrganic has both advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage of course is that you can’t test it in person before a purchase. The advantage is that it has a zip cover with individual layers that can be customized and re-arranged or exchanged after a purchase if you need to do any fine tuning after you sleep on it and you can also replace individual layers down the road if it becomes necessary either because one layer has softened more than the others (usually the top layer) or your needs and preferences have changed over time. It also uses a more costly wool quilted cover for temperature regulation and as the fire barrier for those who would prefer it.

You are in a great position where your choices are all between “good and good” and there are really no “mistakes” in terms of quality so the final choice that is best for you will really depend on which one is the best match for all the objective, subjective, and intangible criteria that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
That’s for giving me your thoughts on it as your opinion is appreciated! I’ll likely go with one of the local options… still not quite sure yet. A small detail I like on the iChoice is it has handles on the sides for moving. I’m currently selling my house & know the pains of trying to move a heavy mattress without anything to grab onto.

I’ll post an update after I make the final decision, whenever that may be.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi dsandys,

It’s great to see you’ve narrowed down your finalists to such good choices and assuming they are a good “match” for you in terms of PPP, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of them based on the quality of their materials.

When there are no clear “winners” in your finalists it generally means that you’ve done a great job with your research which of course is the main goal of the site :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix