Nature's Rest Earth Elements "Moon" mattress

Phoenix,

First off …thank you for creating and maintaining this very informative and helpful website.

I bought a king size latex mattress in 2005/6. It was called the Earth Elements “Moon” by Nature’s Rest. That mattress was/is absolutely perfect for me and has held up amazingly well.

When my ex and I split up, I wanted a queen bed and he retained custody of that king mattress. I hadn’t followed the industry and didn’t realize that Nature’s Rest folded and has gone through a reincarnation.

Since I couldn’t just pop over to a store and buy the queen size version of the same mattress, I bought a memory foam mattress online. I hated it but it didn’t cause me aches or pains so I slept on it for a while. As I began to fully realize that this mattress had gone from a temporary measure to my nightly reality, I came to terms with the sad fact that I was sleeping in what felt like an ever dampening, mushy cocoon harboring who knows what kind of bacteria ecosystems. I acquiesced to my original feeling that this mattress was both too soft on top and hard in the core.

After lurking and researching on this site with an unnatural obsession brought on by a deep and disturbing fear that I will never experience another similarly awesome Moon mattress, I attempted mattress surgery by removing the memory foam and replacing it with a 3" soft “20 ild” (yes, I’m aware of all the shenanigans around ild measurements) Dunlop topper. Uhhhh… No. The topper itself wasn’t too bad but the combo of the bottom 2/3 of memory foam mystery mattress and the topper was not good. My back started to hurt. So then I tried a 14-19-ish Talalay topper to recreate the memory foam “feel”. Nope. Not close and still had back pain that I hadn’t experienced before the mattress surgery.

Since I couldn’t go back to the yucky memory foam and I thought that the Moon mattress cost was @$4k (it was @3k), I decided that I would try and save money by putting together my own version of the mattress. I called the retailer I bought the Moon mattress from, the new Nature’s Rest office never answers their phone and I’ve used many sleepless nights to Google to the ends of the Internet but I couldn’t find any specs to help me.

At some point I decided to surrender to a more generic latex configuration for someone like me hoping it would be at least “fine.” I sleep ok in most any upscale hotel. Haven’t had any pains (until NOW!). I’m 5’5, fluctuate between130-140lbs and curvy. I’m a mostly side (70-80%) and sometimes stomach sleeper. I opted for a “medium firm” core comprised of a 3" Dunlop layer and 3" Talalay layer. I still have the softer Dunlop and Talalay 3" layers and thought I would attempt to optimize the comfort level of my new Frankenmattress through trial and error of each and possibly both. I

Now I’m down this mad scientist path and it seems like any combination of the comfort layers on top of the 2 core layers (also tried switched around) feels great for 15 minutes. Then I get hip pain like a ache that then shoots through my leg. I’ve never had hip pain before so I’m sure I’ve misaligned my body in some way. If I just try the core layers by themselves it’s not too horrible but then my hip starts to hurt in a different way because too much pressure. I think. I don’t know. I had such high hopes.

I’m sorry this is so long. I guess my 2 most pressing questions are:

Do you happen to know or know of anyone I can ask what heavenly combination of mattress innards composed the Earth Elements Moon mattress by Natures Rest?

Assuming I continue the DIY Frankenmattress route would you suggest that I get a firmer bottom layer and a less soft top layer and try those in combination with any number of my current layers? I haven’t ever had much pain from seeping before, so I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong.

Thank you for any guidance you (or anyone else!) can provide!

Hi Jules,

Unfortunately I don’t know anyone that would know off the top of my head and the only suggestion I could make was somehow finding someone that sold them that was familiar with the type and ILD of the latex inside the mattress although this would be unlikely because even when it was being sold most of the salespeople probably wouldn’t have known the ILD of the latex.

There is a little bit of information about the mattress here and here on the wayback machine but it’s not very specific except to say that the comfort layer was a 3" “duvet topper” which may have been something like this poured in Latexco’s duvet molds but I don’t know the ILD of the topper they were using. The core appeared to be a 7" zoned Dunlop latex core but again I don’t know the specifics.

I don’t have enough information to be able to guess at the reasons for your “symptoms” but it would help if you could let me know either the density or approximate ILD of your Dunlop layers and the ILD’s of your Talalay layers and also a little more details about the specific combinations you’ve tried and how your experience and “symptoms” changed (how it was different rather than how it was the same) with each different combination.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your quick and thoughtful reply.

The 2 comfort layers I have are
(A) 3" Talalay blend 14-19 ild from https://www.ultimatesleep.com/talalay-latex-toppers
(B ) 3" Dunlop natural 20 ild from mattresses247

The 2 core layers I have are
(C). 3" Talalay blend 28-30 ild also from https://www.ultimatesleep.com/talalay-latex-toppers
(D). 3" Dunlop Natural 30 ild also from mattresses247

I tried from top layer to bottom layer:
ABCD hip pain after 10-15 minutes
BACD same thing
ACD hip pain after 10-15 minutes
ADC same
BCD hip pain after 20 minutes.
BDC same
CD I think this was pressure related pain after 15 minutes. I’m going to try this overnight with a double thick mattress pad.

I realize the ilds are an estimate but the layers do feel progressively firmer from A to D.

I wasn’t methodical enough about keeping track here because I didn’t expect to feel any pain in the first place and then as soon as I got to some combination that didn’t eventually cause the pain my intention was to stop and be happy. Since each of the combos with at least one comfort layer all felt great (!) at first I was hopeful I would have stumbled on something. Now I’m just slightly sore from spending too much time testing since I spent the afternoon doing it.

I really loved that old mattress. No impressions of me or my 240 lb ex and both of us super comfortable even though he was mostly a stomach and back sleeper and always had back issues on any other mattress. Thank you for finding the info on it. That’s a lot more than I had. I wish there was more so I could match my layers better. The mattress sales guy at the retail store I bought it from did tell me that the Prana Vinyasa Plush was the closest thing to it, but I’m dubious because that’s the only high end latex mattress line they sell. I feel like I can’t properly test mattresses in stores because clothing lines bother me too much, I feel constricted and uncomfortable.

I’d be willing to get that quilt like topper in your link if you think it would help based on my info. I like the idea. I’m sad and frustrated because I was so sure some combo of what I already have would have been great. Or at least good. Maybe my tests were flawed after I felt the pain a few times it would be more likely to reoccur even if it wouldn’t have occurred otherwise. I hope I’m making sense. Sorry.

BTW I felt static electricity up the wazoo every time I switched layers or even lay on the layers without a sheet. I had to keep a roll of dryer sheets ready for defensive maneuvering. It wasn’t a problem through the thin cover I bought (but you can see its clinging for dear life to the layers) or after I put a fitted sheet on. I read your post about it not being too common. Maybe it’s the heat in the winter here.

Hi Jules,

I don’t believe your layers from Ultimate Sleep are Talalay latex (see post #4 here) so at least two of your layers are “unknown” layers (although they are probably 20% natural/80% synthetic continuous pour Dunlop) but hopefully the ILD’s are “in the ballpark”.

If your pain was from pressure I would normally have expected that the pain would increase or would take less time to become apparent with firmer layers but it seems that your pain took longer with firmer layers so this may be “pointing to” layering that is too soft and affecting your alignment.

You can see some comments about DIY mattresses in option #3 in post #15 here and I would normally take a “bottom up” approach with a DIY mattress (see post #2 here) so sleeping on the two firmer layers to start with sounds like a good idea to me.

What kind of mattress pad are you using? A mattress pad can interfere with the ability of the latex to contour to your body shape and in some cases can reduce the ability of the latex to relieve pressure even though the mattress pad itself may provide a softer “surface feel”.

I personally wouldn’t make any additional purchases until you have some clarity about the types of changes that have the best odds of success and you have done some more methodical testing on some different combinations over the course of the night and compared the “symptoms” you experience on each of them because the only way to know whether any combination of layers will work for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) will be based on your own personal testing and sleeping experience.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I tried sleeping on the two medium firm layers with a double thick mattress pad found here eLuxury | Mattress Pads, Mattresses, & Platform Beds and although I didn’t necessarily like the feel of the combination, I don’t recall anything hurting and I woke up with no aches or pains, so that was good.

Last night as I was going to sleep I decided to retry ABCD and this time instead of feeling anything in my hips … within a minute I could actually feel my spine tweaked in a funny way. I believe that it was sort of in an upside down u shape, but since I couldn’t see it, I’m not positive.

So I removed A and tried sleeping on just BCD. Then again within a minute I could feel my spine tweaked and I believe it was tweaked in a u shape. I decided to just deal with it and went to sleep on my stomach. I woke up a few times and when I woke up in the morning on my side, I had some pain in my lower spine on the side that is away from the bed. Ouchy. I’m still sore. And grumpy because of not sleeping well.

I realized last night that when I was doing my testing I don’t think I was completely relaxed. There is a marked difference even if I think I’m lying down relaxed versus if I’m actually trying to fall asleep. I think that accounts for the hip pain because maybe my muscles were engaged to try a keep my spine straight-er than it would have been actually releasing all my muscles to sleep. Maybe that’s also the reason people can test mattresses in stores and then they don’t work for them. I could be wrong… I’m sleep deprived.

Tonight I am going to try ACD again. I just tried to take a nap on that configuration but I couldn’t sleep because my mind was racing. I thought I could feel that my spine was a little off but it didn’t feel as tweaked as ABCD or BCD. Even if I do sleep ‘ok’ on this config, I can tell that something is off. My gut feel is that either the top layer A is slightly too soft.or the combination of CD is slightly too soft… But I suppose I should sleep on it (ACD) :silly: first. I’m happy to take any suggestions you may have. I really appreciate your knowledgeable input and the thought you put into each post.

I am very disturbed by what you said about the Ultimate Sleep “Talalay” Latex Sleep Therapy toppers. I called to inquire and the person I spoke with said that it was a “modified” Talalay process and the only difference is that they don’t flash freeze the latex which makes it easier to do in the US and that some people say this is an advantage because the flash freezing may break down the cell walls of the latex. I said that if that is the case perhaps they should state that the reason they can sell these Talalay toppers for less than the going rate is because of this modified Talalay process because it should be an advantage (if what he said is true … I have no idea), not dissimilar to stating something is made using the Dunlop continuous pour method and that I feel the current description is deceptive. He didn’t really acknowledge that point at all. crickets I will add that before I bought the first topper I called them to ask about the natural vs synthetic percentages and I believe the same person answered the phone and said “they tell me it’s 60/40” which I then clarified with him as 60 synthetic, 40 natural. I have not decided whether I will return either or both yet. He suggested I may try putting a softer layer under a firmer layer as part of my trial and error.

The two toppers I have from Ultimate Sleep do have a distinctly different feel from the Natralux topper layers I have. The pin core holes are not drilled very well. Probably 35% of them or more don’t go clean through and the filling is still in the hole. No idea if that affects the feel but I did try to clear some of the holes just in case. I can’t really compare the feel to Talalay since my beloved moon mattress was finished with a cover over the layers. Just FYi I noticed that a very similar looking “Talalay” topper can be found here eLuxury | Mattress Pads, Mattresses, & Platform Beds and that company seems to be very customercentric so I don’t think they would intentionally mislead buyers.

Hi Jules,

If it’s not “flash frozen” then it’s not Talalay. End of story. As I mentioned it’s most likely continuous pour Dunlop latex that is “mostly synthetic”.

If the pincores still have some filling in the holes then it’s definitely continuous pour mostly synthetic Dunlop. Naturalux is molded 100% natural Dunlop and as you mentioned would have a different “feel”.

I think this is quite likely based on your comments.

Whether it’s intentional or not or the result of a lack of knowledge about the products that they sell … I would be somewhat skeptical about their descriptions of their products because if their descriptions for one are clearly wrong then the odds are higher that their descriptions of the others could be wrong as well. I would personally prefer to deal with retailers or manufacturers that are most knowledgeable about their products so that you don’t end up receiving a product that is different from what you believed you were ordering.

There is more about how Talalay compares to Dunlop in post #7 here and there is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Last night I tried a few variations…

Started with ACD and after maybe 10 minutes I began to feel the “hardness” of the core in my hip. Then I had the revelation that I still have the 3 zone cushions that were between my memory foam and the core of my last mattress. There isn’t much of a difference that I can feel but I put the firmer one in the middle between A and C. As I was climbing into bed I had high hopes because the as I put pressure on it with my hands the top layer somehow felt less like a marshmallow and more like the moon mattress. Anyway almost immediately after lying on it my spine felt tweaked so I decided to go back to ACD but I also put B on the very bottom. I didn’t think it would have much of an effect but then when I lay down my spine was tweaked again. I removed B from the bottom and slept with ACD despite feeling some hardness under my hips and later my legs and shoulder. Sheesh. Since I can generally sleep on most any hotel mattress without much thought or any problems, I didn’t anticipate having so many issues.

The double thick mattress pad provided better (but not complete) pressure relief than this 3" 14-ish ild bootleg continuos pour Dunlop layer.

Would you suggest a firmer comfort layer?.. Or should I do something else? Maybe the combination of the 2 core layers Isn’t good even though they feel like similar ilds. The soft classic Dunlop over the medium firm continuous pour Dunlop and the medium (30ild) classic Dunlop tweaked my back too much.

Hi Jules,

The only way to know which combination will work best for you will be your own personal experience but I would tend to take the “bottom up” approach that I suggested in my earlier reply. I would also make smaller and more incremental changes and make sure that you test each combination for a few nights so that you have some assurance that your experience on each combination is more of a pattern than an anomaly because making changes too quickly doesn’t give your body time to “catch up” to the changes and the “symptoms” you feel could be the result of making changes too quickly rather than the actual combination of layers you are testing. This will give you a better chance of being able to assess the effect of each of the smaller changes you are making based on how your experience and symptoms change with each new combination compared to the one before it.

The first step I would take is sleeping directly on the two firmest layers.

Phoenix