Nature's Rest Mattress

After trying out many mattresses, I settled on a Nature’s Rest 3DZH mattrees on an adjustable bed frame. I know that it is supposed to take awhile to adjust to the mattress which was nice in the beginning. Mind you, I have only had it 2 weeks. I came from an Englander Latex so it was natural to go to latex again since I suffer from Fibromyalgia. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake. I also read on here that NR went out of business so I am wondering how I now have one.

Any info or experience that you can give me on this mattress would be appreciated.

Hi cubby,

Nature’s Rest is made by Spring Air and it may be Spring Air’s bankruptcy you are referring to. Consolidated Bedding who owned Spring Air (and Nature’s Rest) went bankrupt in 2009 but it was quickly purchased by one of the original owners of Spring Air and re-launched soon after. Nature’s Rest was relaunched in 2010.

I’m not sure why you are thinking you made a mistake? Is there something about the mattress you aren’t satisfied with?

Outside of testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … the most important part of a mattress purchase is making sure you know the details of all the layers and components inside it so you can make sure there are no “weak links” in the mattress and can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. If you can list the layers in your mattress on the forum (or link to an online site that lists them) I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials.

Phoenix

HI Phoenix,
Sorry that I have not responded sooner. I am trying hard to get used to this bed but today I woke up with the worst backache ever!

This is the bed I purchased and it should show the contents of the mattress. I have very bad Fibromyalgia as well as arthritis. I also am wondering if it is possible that I am too heavy for this mattress. 5"4" 230 lbs.

I have also learned that I have the Nature’s Rest HYBRID which is not pure latex, I believe. It also sits on a Serta Perfect Sleeper Adjustable base.

I need to get at least 7 hours restful sleep and I am not getting it. The bed was 3 weeks old yesterday so I need to make a decision soon. I am considering changing to either the luxury non-hybrid mattress of this brand Luxury Plush&c=Latex Mattress&f=NATURES REST&g=Queen
or switching to a Tempur-pedic.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: cardis.com/main/mattress_detail.php?s=705705715&r=7057&v=3dzl

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

I also find it interesting that they gave me a battery backup to the adj. base and am wondering how I am supposed to get to the motor is I need to. So much they did not tell me!

I also wanted to mention that Nature’s Rest mentions Talay latex but I can’t seem to determine if they use it in any of their products. Do you know if they do?

Hi cubby,

They don’t mention the type of latex they use but I believe it’s blended Talalay latex made by Radium. They have a range of different combinations of materials and firmness levels in their different mattress designs but I believe all of them are zoned with firmer latex in the center of the mattress.

The specifics of the 3DZH is in the Cardis descriptions and the hybrid comes in two different firmness levels (Luxury firm and Luxury plush). The Luxury firm has 2.5" of latex over a polyfoam support layer while the Luxury plush has 4.5" of latex over the polyfoam support layer.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: cardis.com/main/mattress_detail.php?s=707702709&r=7027&v=3dzh%20Luxury%20Firm&c=Latex%20Mattress&f=NATURES%20REST&g=King | Archived Footprint 2: cardis.com/main/mattress_detail.php?s=705703709&r=7037&v=3dzh%20Luxury%20Plush&c=Latex%20Mattress&f=NATURES%20REST&g=Queen

Post #2 here has more about some of the more common causes of different types of “symptoms” on a mattress but back ache in the morning is usually an indication of a mattress that doesn’t have enough support for you under the heavier parts of the body and is allowing you to sink in too far which puts your back out of alignment. This can be from comfort layers which are too thick and soft or from support layers which are too soft for your body type and sleeping positions. I’m not sure which firmness level you have but it may be worthwhile testing the firmer option if you have the plush version because the comfort layers on the Luxury plush version may be a little bit too thick and soft for your body type. If the firmer version works well for you in terms of alignment then you would still have the option of adding an additional topper if you need additional softness and pressure relief.

Assuming that the pressure relief on the mattress is suitable for you … the change with the highest odds of success would be exchanging for a mattress with either firmer support underneath the heavier parts of your body or with a slightly thinner comfort layer which will put you close to the support layer (although the tradeoff may be a slight reduction in pressure relief).

A latex hybrid is typically a latex comfort layer over a polyfoam support layer but there is a wide range of different versions possible with different comfort and support layers so one specific hybrid may be a good match for you in terms of PPP while another may not. Your own testing and experience is really the only way to know with certainty. If you are exchanging a mattress for another one I would make sure you spend as much time as possible on your new mattress and test it as objectively and carefully as possible so you have the highest odds that the new mattress will be a good match for you. There is a little more about the differences between an all latex mattress and a latex/polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here.

The mattress you linked is all latex so there are no weak links in the design but once again only your own experience can tell you whether it’s a suitable match for you in terms of PPP and I would make sure you spend as much time as possible lying on it and testing it as accurately and objectively as possible (using the testing guidelines) so that your testing can predict your actual sleeping experience as closely as possible.

If the battery is for the emergency power down system that can lower the bed in case of a power outage your instruction manual see here has instructions on where to install it.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: ergomotion.com/documents/serta/Motion_Perfect_Manual.pdf

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix, for your prompt answer. I posted earlier but must not have hit send.

I plan to go back out and test mattresses again after I reread your information. Am thinking that maybe the firm might be better for me although last night, I actually slept well but slept on the opposite side that has not been “broken in”.

Would Nature’s Rest be considered a small manufacturer since they are in Chelsea, MA? I don’t see them listed anywhere as being recommended and I don’t really see recent reviews on it.

Also is Tempur-pedic recommended for people with Fibro? Should I be considering it?

Cubby/Rose

Hi cubby,

Nature’s Rest is part of the Spring Air group which is a larger manufacturer which has its corporate HQ in Chelsea, MA. The manufacturer is really only a name on a label and the specific mattress itself and the materials inside it (and your ability to find out what they are) and how well it matches your unique needs and preferences are much more important than the name of the manufacturer. For the most part … all manufacturers make their mattresses from a common range of materials.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: springair.com/contactlocations/

I wouldn’t “recommend” any manufacturer or any specific mattress or material for any specific set of circumstances or health conditions because again the mattress itself is more important than the manufacturer who makes it and each person can be very different in terms of their preferences and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There are some people that have fibromyalgia that may do well with memory foam because of its pressure relieving properties (Tempurpedic or otherwise) and some who don’t do well on it at all and would avoid memory foam completely. Your own personal testing will tell you which group you are in or which materials or mattress design works well for you. In general, with conditions such as fibromyalgia, the pressure relieving properties of the mattress (relative to your body type, sleeping positions, and sensitivity to pressure) will be particularly important but it would also be important to take all the other factors that are part of PPP into account because people that have fibromyalgia can often be much more sensitive to many things besides just pressure relief including the alignment of their back and joints, the surface “feel” of the mattress, temperature regulation, and the smell or odor of a mattress.

Tempurpedic can be a good “testing ground” for memory foam but for most people it wouldn’t be good value and there are many very similar mattresses that use the same or better quality materials that are in much lower price ranges.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I am more confused than ever after reading everything. Also went to a site that rated latex mattresses and mention was made that Nature’s Rest had only a 50% approval rating compared to other like Ikea.

You wrote>>

this can be from comfort layers which are too thick and soft or from support layers which are too soft for your body type and sleeping positions. I’m not sure which firmness level you have but it may be worthwhile testing the firmer option if you have the plush version because the comfort layers on the Luxury plush may be a little bit too thick and soft for your body type.<<

I do have the ZDH Luxury Plush with the thick topper. The mattress is almost 14inches deep. I also think the Firm would be better and plan to check it out. I remember trying the firm out but it was also the hybrid. I did not see the ZDL but will look for it at the Cardi’s main showroom. Today I called Cardi’s about a sale that they are advertising. Of course, it was on a hybrid firm and I could not find it on Cardi’s website. The gentleman who answered the phone could not help me as they had pulled the sale mattress off the floor which mean I cannot even try it. My thought was to have them order me a ZDL firm but then I would not have tried it. At this point, I just feel like returning the mattress and starting fresh. I did buy it in haste as Christmas was coming and I needed a bed for the spare room so I treated myself to a new bed. Big mistake. The bed is just too soft and I wake up tired. Am thinking of taking my 16 year old Englander and putting it on the adjustable base for awhile so I can search for a new one. I think it is easier to buy a car and since I need one, maybe I’ll that instead. :wink:

Hi cubby,

I would be very cautious about using reviews as a significant part of your mattress research (see post #13 here). Reviews rarely mention the quality of the specific materials in a mattress (a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and materials and the name of the manufacturer has little relevance), they are generally written by people who have little knowledge about mattresses or what they purchased, they say little to nothing about which mattress may be suitable for you (each person is unique and a mattress that works well for one person may be completely unsuitable for another), and they are usually written so soon after a purchase that they don’t usually include much about the longer term experience on a mattress.

I think that there are many consumers that feel the same way. I think that one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase is choosing the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with (step 3 in the tutorial post) as carefully as you choose the mattress. Dealing with a knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent retailer or manufacturer (either locally or online) that can “inform and educate” you more than “sell” you and that puts your interests and satisfaction above their own can turn mattress shopping from an exercise in frustration into a much simpler and more enjoyable experience :slight_smile:

Phoenix

From Nature’s Rest Customer Service:. We do recommend that you turn your mattress every 2 weeks for the first six months. This is just a recommendation, not a requirement. The Hybrid mattresses should hold up just as well as an all latex mattress. The difference is a soy poly core vs a latex core and the soy poly core would probably be just a bit firmer.Both the Hybrid and the all latex mattresses carry a 20 year warranty. If you find your depressions to be equal or greater than 1.5", it would be considered defective and the place of purchase can assist you in facilitating the warranty.

Since I am 71, I doubt that I will be able to do that. I have trouble changing the sheets! Something else the salesman neglected to tell me.

I am not happy to hear that there is SOY in the poly core. I have problems with soy and am possibly allergic to it. Another thing that I do not seem to find written anywhere.

The whole thing is making me more befuddled.

Hi cubby,

This is fairly “standard” advice for all mattresses and turning it periodically or turning and flipping it (for a two sided mattress) will help the materials compress or soften more evenly and can extend the useful life of a mattress.

It’s not actually soy itself (that contains the protein that usually causes a soy food allergy) but a chemical polyol that is derived from soy oil that is used to replace a small percentage of the petrochemical polyols used to make the polyfoam. You can read a little more about so called “soy based” or “plant based” in post #2 here. I’m guessing that your soy allergy is a food allergy so the soy based chemical polyol used to make the foam inside the mattress probably wouldn’t be an issue with a soy allergy.

Phoenix

Well, Phoenix. I have been sleeping on the Natures Rest DLH Plush for 3 months. I have now developed a neck ache and headaches for the past three weeks or so. I went back and bought two more pillows. Had been using Bedgear. Bought the ones that are made by Nature’s Rest all foam… Not helping. Also having low back pain. It’s interesting to open the pillow and look at the foam which seems to be breaking down. Wondering if the latex in the mattress will breakdown like that too.

I am wondering if it is possible that having this mattress on the adjustable bed might be part of the problem. I have tried sleeping flat, raising the head of the bed slightly and other positions. Although I did go back and try the Plush ZDL mattress, it was more than I could afford and actually 3 inches thinner. I am at a loss as to what to do. It is past the 60 day test period but to now have to deal with new pain unrelated to my Fibromyalgia is very discouraging. I can’t live this way and don’t know what to do. If I thought that Cardi’s would let me take this one back and upgrade to the all latex, I would consider it. Do you think it would make a difference? Could the polycore be causing my problems???

Hi cubby,

No … this wouldn’t be part of the problem. The adjustable bed in the flat position would provide the same or better support for your mattress as a standard rigid non flexing foundation and the different positions would allow you to have additional options that aren’t available with a traditional foundation.

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and while it comes in a wide range of softness and can be used in thicker or thinner layers … it softens and breaks down more slowly than other types of foam materials.

The type of materials isn’t the problem or nearly as important as the design of the mattress and how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Any material can come in thicker or thinner or softer or firmer layers or in different combinations that can be used to make many different mattresses that work well for some people and don’t work at all for others. If your testing or experience indicates that their all latex mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then it may be worth considering. If it isn’t … then I wouldn’t consider it at all. The same would be true for any mattress you are considering.

While I’m always happy to provide as much information as I can that can help you gain some insights about what may be happening (such as the posts I linked earlier) … in the end only you can feel what you feel on a mattress or sleeping system and only you can decide what you believe needs to change. I would also keep in mind that when there are health conditions involved that there may be no perfect solution or mattress so “best possible” may be the most realistic expectation.

If I had to guess though and based on the very limited information about your “symptoms” you’ve provided (a detailed description of the symptoms and where they occur, when they happen over the course of the night, and the sleeping position that they are most likely to happen etc) I would guess that your mattress was too soft in some way (either comfort layers that are too thick/soft or support layers that are too soft) to provide good alignment for your spine and/or joints in all your sleeping positions. If this is the case … there is more about mattresses that are too soft in post #4 here but the “best” option would generally be to exchange the mattress for a firmer one (and hopefully they will be willing to make an exception to their exchange policy).

After 60 days it seems clear that the mattress you chose isn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP but even if a mattress you exchange for is too firm for you and doesn’t provide the pressure relief that most people with fibromyalgia would need … you would still have the option of adding a topper to “fine tune” the pressure relief and comfort of the mattress.

Phoenix

Good evening Phoenix,
I have been in you blog and I find it very helpful. I always have thinking the best investment you can do is to get a good mattress. We are looking for a natural latex mattress and I was in a furniture exhibition “Singapore Home Show”. We saw some mattresses from Narure’s Rest. Could you tell me if you know if the mattress are done with natural latex and if they keep their properties over the years. Which is the Situation of the Company?
Have a very nice day
Thanks in advance. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Beuge

Hi Beuge,

I would be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

Nature’s Rest is part of Spring Air which has been making mattresses for many years but it sounds like they make a range of mattresses in Singapore and each of their specific models would be different from the others and may use different combinations of materials and components in different budget ranges that could affect the durability and the useful life of the specific mattress you are considering.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice but any type or blend of latex is a durable material relative to other types of foam materials. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing and/or your own personal experience.

Any latex in a mattress wouldn’t be the weakest link of the mattress but a mattress that includes latex may also include other materials and components as well that are less durable than latex that could certainly affect the durability of the mattress.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can find out all the information in the “mattress specifications you need to know” article I linked about any specific mattress you are looking at and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality and less durable materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix