Nature's Sleep

Any idea about the quality of these mattresses from Nature’s Rest?

http://www.wayfair.com/Natures-Sleep-5th-Avenue-12-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress-712003-NSP1013.html

and

http://www.wayfair.com/Natures-Sleep-Madison-Avenue-11-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress-711253-NSP1012.html

I chatted with the rep running their facebook and they said “all their mattreses above 10” use atleast 5lb density in the comfort layers" however Sears list this mattress as having 4.6lb. Can anyone verify or know of any major red flags or problems with this brand/retailer/mattress.

Ok thanks. I know they are made in China that’s not a big issue to me.

Hi E4HZ,

Neither one provides the information I would need to make any meaningful comments about either of them.

If you can find out and/or confirm the information listed here about either or both mattresses (and Nature’s Sleep may be able to provide it to you) then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials in either one or both of them.

Phoenix

nature’s rest rep told me 5lb density comfort layers and 2lb density support layers but i don’t know if i can believe them because Sears list the same mattress as 4.6lb density.

also, the mattress prices are HUGELY different from one place to another. Wayfair list the Queen size like I posted above at around 600 and Nature’s Rest list them at over 2,000.

Overall this looks like it has to be skipped based on principle alone, however the mattreses look rather nice. I contacted Wayfair who said they would contact the manufacturer on Monday and get back to me about densities.

Hi EZ4HZ,

I have talked with Marc at Nature’s Sleep (not Nature’s Rest which is a different company) and he seemed to be very knowledgeable and transparent about the mattresses they make and I believe that he would give you accurate and reliable information about their mattresses that are sold through various retail stores.

4.6 lb memory foam is within a 10% spec tolerance of 5 lb memory foam so it wouldn’t be unusual to see it listed as a 5 lb memory foam. Foam densities are never exact from batch to batch.

I would also be aware that the prices at Nature’s Sleep are not “real” selling prices that most people would ever pay for their mattresses … they are just prices that are designed to make their retailers selling prices look better for consumers that aren’t as knowledgeable about how to make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

So I would confirm the specs of the mattress you are looking at with Nature’s sleep and if it does use memory foam that is within the guidelines here and if you you are confident that the mattress would be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options to return or exchange it if it isn’t) and you are comfortable with any additional uncertainty that is part of purchasing a mattress that is manufactured in China then it would certainly be worth considering as one of your finalists.

Phoenix

thanks Phoenix–have you spoken with them just recently or have had ongoing dialogue with them? Just curious because I work in a call center and know that different people give different answers all the time so I wonder if all the reps there actually know the density or just a few of them know and others just make stuff up which happens all the time at call center type jobs.

If it’s 4.6 it definitely is dis-honest though to market it or say that it’s 5lb density, “or higher”. Then again this was the facebook chat so maybe it was a social media person who didn’t really know much about the mattresses but just runs their facebook I don’t know.

I will call them when they are open-- I want exact answers not ranges. What did he say for you as to the densities? Did they say vague stuff like “high density” or “above 5lb” when it’s actually only 4.6? And yes I did mean NATURES SLEEP, not Nature’s Rest, thank you for pointing that out.

I’m thinking about the 11" or the 12" gel listed above. If their densities are correct–then that is pretty amazing value in terms for $ for density. I don’t see any other mattresses with densities of 5lbs or higher at the $600 price point really. Dynasty Mattresses are close and I’m considering them too now, since Dreamfoam Bedding is really comfortable but just a bit too soft and fast responding at 4lb density. I’ve spoken with Dynasty I like that they are certified safe by Certi-Pur and are designed in US made in China…just like iPads and Nature’s Sleep.

Hi EZ4HZ,

I last talked with Marc Werner who is the founder and CEO of Nature’s Sleep in September this year and I found him to be open, transparent, and knowledgeable and I enjoyed my conversation with him. While I can’t speak to the knowledge of the individual reps … I do know that as a company they are committed to using good quality materials and that he shares many of the ideas of this site.

If a mattress manufacturer orders memory foam from a foam manufacturer as 5 lbs then the product they receive can easily be 4.6 lbs because foam density isn’t consistent from batch to batch. A foam supplier will often supply foam at the lower end of the spec tolerance range that a mattress manufacturer orders from them. An increment of .4 lbs density isn’t consequential. Of course if a density is quoted as 4.6 lbs then it could be little lower and the range may be different than a mattress that is described as being 5 lbs but this will also depend on whether the range they are quoting is the minimum, the nominal, or the maximum density of the range they are using and you may find that different manufacturers will use a different part of their range in their quoted specs. Ordering foam in narrower tolerance ranges is also more costly to a mattress manufacturer.

There is no such thing as an “exact” foam density that would apply to every mattress and all foam densities are in a fairly narrow range in “real life”. Of course that is different from being quoted a range that is much wider such as something like 3 - 5 lbs in which case I would assume that it would be closer to the 3 than the 5. There would be very little difference between 4.6 lb memory foam and 5 lb memory foam that used the same formulation.

You can see some of my previous comments about them in this topic and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

I guess I thought the .4 difference would matter alot more because Novosbed wrote me saying that they found that 4.1 is key…for some reason. That you should stay above 4.1 if you’re aiming for high density mattresses.

And Tempurpedic always uses 5.3 why the .3? I just assumed that .3 was something substantially different than 5.0. Chritseli uses 5.3 too…and Novosbed uses 5.2 which is really close to 5.3

So I then extrapolated that the difference from 4.6 to 5.0 is probably really important too.

Bedding is really confusing.

Hi EZ4HZ,

Most of the minor foam density increments are more about marketing than anything else. It’s similar to one manufacturer claiming that “our mattress has coil count of 1000” and another one says that “our mattress has a coil count of 1020 so it’s better” when these types of single specs and minor differences taken in isolation are mostly meaningless.

You can see some of Novosbed’s comments about the same issue on their blog here.

Post #7 here and post #4 here also includes some comments about the same issue.

Phoenix

anyone know of an online site that sells nature’s sleep mattress models : Sapphire, Diamond, St. Lucia, or Cloud Luxe.
Amazon doesn’t have those models, Wayfair does but I don’t like their return policy, and Nature’s Rest website has the worst return policy I’ve ever seen. So want to buy from someone/somehwere that has a good return policy. If I could find it Amazon that would be perfect.

Hi Phoenix it’s been a while. So I made the mistake of purchasing a Dynasty Mattress to see how it would feel. It doesn’t feel very good…will try to sell it.

anyway I’m looking into Nature’s Sleep again. I cannot get ANY useful information from this company and have no clue how you got any densities or anything like that. Is there any chance you might be able to obtain some information?

I’m looking at the Glacier Gel and the Sapphire and I want to know the density layers…or atleast want to know which one has higher density foams.

Hi EZ4HZ,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

[quote]anyway I’m looking into Nature’s Sleep again. I cannot get ANY useful information from this company and have no clue how you got any densities or anything like that. Is there any chance you might be able to obtain some information?

I’m looking at the Glacier Gel and the Sapphire and I want to know the density layers…or atleast want to know which one has higher density foams. [/quote]

If you call Nature’s Sleep here and talk to Marc they will provide you with the densities of the materials in their mattresses.

Phoenix

Actually, the Dynasty Mattress is quite nice after a few nights. It was a good fit for my girlfriend and I. However it was defective…it was suppose to be 13" but was only 11". It sleeps really neutral/cool and has a very different feel. It’s spongey, but for once, in a way I dont mind. It’s pretty comfortable and inviting. I’m not giving any real objective information on it but just saying that I likeded it. It was defective, I could tell when I first opened it as it expanded way slower than normal. Even the pillows look a little flat. It really felt okay though I guess.

I tried talking to nature’s sleep, they hated me for asking too many questions so I gave up on talking to them. They always gave vague ambiguous answers when it came to densities. Apparently they will only talk to you. If you do have any time to ask them for the densities for the Glacier or Sapphire do not reference me…because, well–they hate me. I know you have no reason to, but if you got the information that would be divine.

Hi EZ4HZ,

This may be connected to long term compression during shipping and storage from China.

When I talked with them they told me that they would be transparent about their foam densities with their customers so it’s unfortunate to hear your comments. I don’t wish (or have the time) to become the primary source for for a manufacturer’s specs and this is information that you would need to find out directly from a manufacturer. If for some reason they won’t provide them to you then I would just pass them by.

Phoenix