Naturpedic construction quality

Dear Phoenix,
Thank you for your website and for sending information on quality mattress stores in the Kansas City area.
I have reviewed all of your tutorials. We are leaning towards a mattress system with pocket coils as the support layer and latex as the comfort layer.
Would you have any input on the quality of construction of Naturpedic mattrresses? For example the pocket coils durability, etc.
Also, after a brief initial visit to one of the retailers, it was mentioned that Naturpedic latex uses the Talalay process. Do you know if their mattresses are 100% natural organic latex?
And one final question, is the ability to “swap” out a particular mattress in their system, (as opposed to using adhesives) okay for these components? (layers shifting, bunching, etc?)
Thanks so much!
Dave M

Hi Dave M 123,

You’re welcome!

Naturepedic uses high quality materials, whether it be their mattress covering, the pocketed spring units using PLA encasing or their organic line using springs covered in cotton (which they make in-house), or their latex. There would be no “weak-links” in their mattress design, although they can be in a bit of a higher price range and you make want to make some personal “value comparisons”.

Naturepedic uses Dunlop latex (not Talalay) that is natural and Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) certified.

Their mattress covering has a decent structural integrity that assists in holding the layers together, and while they wrap their latex layers in a thin stretch-knit cotton encasement, they stay in place quite well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks so much!

Hi Dave M 123,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix

We bought a Naturepedic Concerto last spring. Superb construction, no bunching of the layers to date, zero off-gassing. I have it sitting on split king box springs and am not sure if foundation would be better - it does have a slight ridge in center. It’s a bit firmer than I had hoped (I’m pretty thin) but my husband loves it. Overall, it just feels good, no slippery or smelly petroleum-based products anywhere. We sleep very well on it and I have always been a difficult sleeper.

My only complaint is that it is unbelievably heavy and getting the bottom sheet on and off is a trial. There is no way I would ever be able to move it or even spin it around by myself. I might buy a less expensive model that is lighter/thinner if I had to do it again.

Hi AtTheBeach,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comments about your Naturepedic mattress. I’m glad you are enjoying it and it is working well for you.

If you are using a true active coil box spring, I would recommend that you replace it with a foundation that would be of a high enough quality to support your mattress. Naturepedic states that you should use a solid platform or foundation that is equivalent to what they offer, or their warranty will not cover the item. The foundation thread here speaks a bit more about appropriate options.

Phoenix

Yes, I think you’re right about that. My impression was that foundations were just a cheaper version of what I already owned but I can see the benefit with the bigger new mattresses.

Hi AtTheBeach,

I’m glad the information made sense.

Phoenix

i have a naturepedic eos and couldn’t be happier with the construction and comfort of my bed. i was, however surprised that in the end after a couple trys at the comfort layer i was most comfortable with the microcoils over the the latex. in store the latex felt right, but in practice, the firm latex was too firm and the medium was too undynamic. i also went with my own layer combo. their “cushion firm (firm coils and soft latex)” was too firm and their "plush (soft coils and soft latex) was too soft. i created my own “medium” with plush coils and medium comfort layer (first med latex, then swapped for med microcoils. in my opinion they are really missing the boat by not offering a medium configuration in their lineup, but the two two stores i went to both came up with the same alternate config, so at least they are well trained to get you close to the right fit.

i find the microcoils give a real dynamic support, yet a very cushiony feel. love getting into bed now.

as for construction… top notch all around. a lot of attention to detail. the case is built like a tank. wool and pla batting between heavy stretch cotton. haven’t experienced any compaction. the coil and comfort layers are each encased in separate cotton zippered covers. i think this serves several purposes, 1) hides seams in the latex, which customers hate, but is par for the course with dunlop latex, 2) let’s the layers slide against eash other if you have an adjustable bed, and 3) keeps everything nice and tidy. then there’s the zipper… oh my god, i love that zipper, it is a huge brass zipper. i think i have a bit of a zipper fetish, and it immediately caught my eye.

layer swaps were super easy, albeit expensive, cause you have to pay shipping, so do your best to get it right in the store. go as many times as you need. i tried and still didn’t get it right.

they really seem like a top notch company that really cares about their product. expensive, but when you compare them to their luxury, the eos is cheap! and to be honest, if you don’t want super plush, it was easy to get a comparable feel between the two lines.

happy sleeper.

1 Like

Hi deucx,

Thanks for your comments upon your Naturepedic mattress. I’m glad you’re happy with it! Your experience is proof of the benefit of having a configurable sleep system – I’m glad you found a combination that worked well for you.

Encasing the layers in fabric, as it was explained to me, helps cover up some of the natural voids in latex (which some people unnecessarily have concerns about), make the handling of the layers easier, and has a “cleaner” look. Your ideas are also good. Seams in the latex are most common in Talalay.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments.

Phoenix

Phoenix, why isn’t Naturpedic a member of your site, who you recommend to readers?

Hi J Grillo,

Naturepedic is not a recommended member of this site. You can conduct a forum search on Natuerpedic to read about them here in the forum. They use good quality materials but can be in a bit of a higher price range so people considering them would want to make some personal value equations.

Manufacturing or retail membership to the forum is discussed here. I expect the current membership to grow once I have completed other more pressing projects with the forum. Just because a manufacturer has products using better quality materials doesn’t automatically qualify them for the extension of membership to the forum.

Phoenix