Need a custom sized mattress for an antique bed

Hi I just discovered this site and it is amazing!! I can’t find much on my question however. We inherited an antique French bed that measures about 51"x74" (it’s an old European 130cm size) so need a custom mattress. It’s for my daughter–11 yrs. old, 5’3"and 105 pounds. Any ideas on where to start? I live in Washington, DC. I’ve found some online manufacturers: mattressinsider.com, michigandiscountmattress.com, and a few others but I’d like to find something in my area.

The size is so close to a double I’m considering a DIY foundation but haven’t researched that yet.

Thanks for any leads.

Hi jenbug,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While made in France, it seems what you may have is an old ¾ style bed set. 130cm isn’t a size that was commonly made in Europe, even decades ago. There is a “small double”, where the bed set measures 130 cm x 205 cm (51" x 82"), with the mattress measuring 48" x 75".

¾ mattresses came in two sizes – 48" x 74", and 48" x 72". Your bed set was most likely designed for the smaller ¾ mattress set.

Smaller mattress licensees and manufacturers will still produce ¾ size mattresses (it’s a “common” odd size, if that makes sense), so I would look locally at retailers carrying such brands. While it’s far from a complete listing, some options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Washington, DC area (which has some overlap with the Baltimore list) are listed in post #2 here, and Baltimore in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply but I don’t think you are correct that 130 wasn’t a size–it was in France and my bed is probably close to 100 yrs. old (I know because it came from a family member) with the numbers 130 stamped on the original oak slats. I’m kicking myself that I didn’t have something made there before we moved back to the states. Hindsight is 20/20…

Thanks so much for the leads–I will call some on the list.

Jenni

Hi jenbyg

Thanks for the confirmation of the dimensions of your bed set and the history of it. Quite a unique product with some great history!

Regarding the dimensions, I didn’t say that a 130 cm width wasn’t a size – I stated that the 130 cm width wasn’t a common size (some examples are in the chart I’ve attached here), hence my thought that perhaps it was product made for the American market, but the extra information you provided for the timeframe shows that it was most definitely made for Europe, or to particular specifications, which was more common over 100 years ago.

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/66/CommonEuropeanbedsizes.jpg

The good news is that a ¾ bed will fit in there quite nicely, so you definitely have a solution available for a more common odd-size, as opposed to getting something that is totally customized in dimensions, which can be more difficult (and expensive) to find.

Phoenix